This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D*$@ you, Microsoft!

I am so wanting to kick Bill Gates' @SS right now. Thanks to a buggy update with XP that messed with the Realtec audio drivers (gave an "DLL illegal relocation" error) and other 3rd party apps my call center was pounded hard with calls. The sad part? All these people had to do was go to microsoft.com and do 3 minutes of research and find the patch.

I know. I had the same problem. However, I knew the fix almost immediately because I read Slashdot and the whole story was right there.

Of course, I wouldn't have even noticed at all if certain circumstances hadn't caused me to boot into Windows a lot more often than before.
    Desk-On: Apply directly to the forehead.

Comment

My mom's computer had the same problem. What's worse, she didnt tell me or my dad that her computer had been getting these error messages. She'd just been hitting "OK" to get the message off the screen. By the time we found out about it, the update had apparently caused something else to become corrupted in her computer. I was able to put the patch on her computer, but that didnt fix the other bits of corrupted stuff.

So now, she's got a month of no computer until Best Buy gets her computer back from somewhere in Kentucky (I'm trying to avoid letting her use my old laptop)

Comment

No, It's Your Product!!!

You know, the bad part about it, when our call center got the calls, I got this one nut, who proceeded to argue me down, that it was our product that was causing the error. When I told him to "Google" the error, and find the patch, he felt like a REAL idiot when he did. What was painful was the 30 minutes of my life, purely wasted, for something that was NOT even remotely our problem!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!
        Ignorance IS Bliss!:

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
          I am so wanting to kick Bill Gates' @SS right now. Thanks to a buggy update with XP that messed with the Realtec audio drivers (gave an "DLL illegal relocation" error) and other 3rd party apps my call center was pounded hard with calls. The sad part? All these people had to do was go to microsoft.com and do 3 minutes of research and find the patch.
          Trust me, I feel your frustration, but if you had any idea of the number of calls we get at Microsoft from crappy manufacturers that blame their driver problems on us...you might not want to kick Gates' ass so much. Hell, we get some companies that tell their customers they have to talk to US for the driver, that they dont have it (lies, we dont write drivers for other people's hardware).

The point of frustration is the end user that bought a $3000 machine and cant be bothered to keep themself educated on keeping it running smoothly. This isnt a vTel, people, its a sophisticated machine. Treat it like one.

Comment

hrm. that JUST happened to me not 2 minutes ago (our network guys ran a network-wide update). Problem is, we can't install ANYTHING here... it requires Admin privileges, and guess who has them? Yup, the network guys. *sigh*
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I thought it happened to me a couple weeks ago, and I thought back to this thread. Found the patch, installed it, and still no sound.

Come to find out then when I updated the software for the webcam, it changed the preferred sound device to the modem, rather than the sound card. Why the would anyone want to do that???
              Sometimes life is altered.
              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
              Uneasy with confrontation.
              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
              X