X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create consistent customer service

http://www.people2peopleservice.com/...-customer.html

What are your thoughts about this article?

Create a consistent customer service by treating each situation uniquely? Wrong! The problem is created by handling each situation uniquely.

First off, the writers needs a dictionary. Policy is policy and guidelines are guidelines. Don't confuse the two.

The article is right in that CSRs are not always trained correctly on what is policy and what is guideline. Also important is managerial review. The OP started that they were never reprimanded. That does not mean that they were right, it only means that they were never reprimanded. Without review, can not be sure they are in fact handling each situation the way it should be.

Assuming that the CSRs follow their training, all of them should give the same response to similar situations, whether the customer likes the answer or not.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Some workers learn how to use the system to their advantage, without breaking policy, but a lot of that comes from experience, time at the company and observation.

I totally agree with csquared, it was said eloquently and far better than I could have said it

Comment

I posted a comment under "Anonymous" on that site, let's see if they put it up.

I'll just repeat part of it here: I've never seen a company policy presented to an employee as a guideline. When I was trained, I was told 'these are the rules, follow them.' Over the years some things have changed, but many of the rules make good sense & so I continue to follow them.

I resent the implication that a CSR who won't bend or break a rule is not doing their job correctly.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          I posted a comment under "Anonymous" on that site, let's see if they put it up.

I'll just repeat part of it here: I've never seen a company policy presented to an employee as a guideline. When I was trained, I was told 'these are the rules, follow them.' Over the years some things have changed, but many of the rules make good sense & so I continue to follow them.

I resent the implication that a CSR who won't bend or break a rule is not doing their job correctly.
          I just checked that sight, & there are no comments.

I feel the same way too regarding resenting the implication that a CSR who will not bend or break a rule is not doing their job correctly. I am a parking attendant, not a customer service rep, but there are times when Visitor parking is reserved for events, & I can tell by the looks on the faces of the persistent customers who will not take no for an answer that I am not doing my job correctly when I tell them I am not allowed to make any exceptions.

This also applies to customers who want free parking.

Comment

It looks to me like they spent 5 minutes writing that plus you need more than just training and a "customer service council".
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I don't entirely agree. There is no point in having rules unless you stick to them.
              if that is how your reply started then... they did post it.

(and it's better than the article)

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                if that is how your reply started then... they did post it.

(and it's better than the article)
                Yep, that was me! And thank you!
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                X