X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumpster Diving...for coupons?

http://www.etonline.com/tv/105588_Ne...ing/index.html

Don't get me wrong. I like my coupons. But THIS is the sort of shit that gives responsible couponers a bad name.

Dumpster diving for coupons with her child?? Really?

Oh, and notice how POLITE all of them are to the cashiers. /end sarcasm
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

I am no fan of dumpster diving period, but wow that is just desperate.

Now I'm worried that someone is going to be coming around here on top of the people who already come to raid our dumpster, to steal all of our junk mail and coupons we get from like Menards or stores at the mall and whatnot.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

OK, that has to be some kind of OCD related thing.

I use coupons for things I actually need/want (sometimes I will buy something I wouldn't otherwise buy just because I have a coupon, but it is something I plan to actually use in a timely manner). I don't need a 40-year supply of TP or 1100 boxes of cereal. If they were donating to a shelter or food bank, then maybe, but buying stuff just to add to your stockpile? I don't care how organized it is, that has to fall under hoarding behavior.

If you're buying so much stuff that you can't even use it up, you are not saving money, I don't care how much money you got off with a coupon.

Edit: there is an older woman in my complex I've seen digging through the paper recycling bins (which is now mixed with everything else as of a year or so ago when they went to single-stream recycling). I never knew what she was looking for, but roomie once got trapped into talking to her somehow and apparently she is looking for coupons.
      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I throw away almost all the coupon books I get in the mail because they are for days of the week I can't shop because of my shift at work, or places I refuse to shop at (*cough* Menards) but when I shop for groceries and other items, sometimes they come with coupons in the package for your next purchase, so I like to use them on stuff like toilet paper, razors, makeup or toothpaste.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I go through the coupons from my parents' paper when I go over on a weekend. I try to only take the ones for things I actually use, or something new that I've wanted to try cuz I figure if I don't like it at least I paid a little less for it. And then half the time I don't get around to using them before they expire anyway. When possible I combine them with sales, and health/beauty stuff I usually get at Target where they're a little cheaper than the grocery store (usually).

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            I don't need a 40-year supply of TP or 1100 boxes of cereal. If they were donating to a shelter or food bank, then maybe, but buying stuff just to add to your stockpile? I don't care how organized it is, that has to fall under hoarding behavior.

If you're buying so much stuff that you can't even use it up, you are not saving money, I don't care how much money you got off with a coupon.
            That's exactly what I was thinking. Will we be revisiting these people a few years from now on "Hoarders", surrounded by stacks and piles of rotting food that they "saved so much money on"? Stocking up for a month or buying to donate to a food bank is one thing, but by the time they get around to using all this stuff, much of it will have gone past date. That's not sensible or money-saving at all.
            Last edited by XCashier; 01-01-2011, 10:54 PM.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
              That's exactly what I was thinking. Will we be revisiting these people a few years from now on "Hoarders", surrounded by stacks and piles of rotting food that they "saved so much money on"? Stocking up for a month or buying to donate to a food bank is one thing, but by the time they get around to using all this stuff, much of it will have gone past date. That's not sensible or money-saving at all.
              That's the same thing my Mom and I both thought when we saw that segment on the news. *shudder*

I can see using coupons if it's for something that I normally purchase but dumpster diving for anything - let alone coupons - is not my idea of spending quality time with my family.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

I can see using coupons if it's for something that I normally purchase but dumpster diving for anything - let alone coupons - is not my idea of spending quality time with my family.
                Me too. I was appalled that she took her kid with her. If adults want to do batshit crazy things, that's on them..but when they're dragging a kid along? Ugh. Made me sick.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

That's INSANE. Who thinks they also try to bend coupon rules as much as possible?

Haven't there already been a few people on Hoarders who were "savvy coupon shoppers"?
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I don't need a 40-year supply of TP or 1100 boxes of cereal.
                    ROFL. My boyfriend had me watch Big Bang Theory last night, starting from the beginning... this just reminded me of when Sheldon invited himself to go shopping with Penny and tried to convince her to buy 30 years worth of tampons.

but back on topic... dumpster diving for coupons?
                    um. dude... that's fucking gross. I mean I dunno about their dumpsters but the ones here... god knows what's in them. we don't recycle at this apartment complex so to get to the paper trash you'd have to go through a lot of other stuff. (everything from kitchen garbage to used feminine supplies... so those "coupons" you find might have maggots on them)

and even if it's a separate dumpster for paper... often those are right next to the regular dumpsters so anything growing in them can leave the dumpster and go to the other ones...
                    Last edited by PepperElf; 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                      but back on topic... dumpster diving for coupons?
                      um. dude... that's fucking gross. I mean I dunno about their dumpsters but the ones here... god knows what's in them. we don't recycle at this apartment complex so to get to the paper trash you'd have to go through a lot of other stuff. (everything from kitchen garbage to used feminine supplies... so those "coupons" you find might have maggots on them)
                      We have single-stream recycling, so there is a dumpster for trash and a dumpster for all recycling - glass, plastic, cans, and paper - right next to it. I'm sure some trash finds its way in, and also that there's plenty of food containers that don't get rinsed out very well (or at all). Also, the lid is never closed, so if it rains, it'll be all soggy.

Comment

I could use a 40 year supply of TP. TP's expensive.
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                        X