Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you know that computers don't break?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know that computers don't break?

So a customer comes in to do a memory upgrade. I take it to our triage and power up the system to make sure it was functional from the get go. Lo and behold, before Windows finishes loading I get blue screened. The customer flips out and asks what I did and this and that. Short version of our conversation:

Me: "Ma'am I absolutely did nothing. I took it from your hands and to the bench."

Woman: "Well you obviously did something because it was working perfectly just an hour ago!" (Same story I've heard many times)

Me: "Well ma'am it's a computer and sometimes..."

Woman: (Cuts me off) "I don't want to hear it. No excuses. Just fix it!"

Me: "Ma'am I'll try what I can but it is not my fau...."

Woman: (Cuts me off again) "I don't want to hear anything you have to say. I want to speak to a manager. The system was working an hour ago and whatever you did OBVIOUSLY broke it."

I get the manager and he smooths it over with them. We both know she is full of sh** but we just want to get rid of her. So he offers to fix it at no cost and have it delivered to her the next day at our cost. She calls her son and he wants to speak to me to find out what went on. I basically tell him the same thing I was trying to tell her. This is the highlight of my conversation with him.

Me: "Sir, you have to understand. Computers are electronic equipment. Just like how a car might be working fine 30 minutes ago...you go and try to start the car and then all of a sudden your starter goes out or something...and your car is broken."

Son: "Look I've used computers for years. Things like that don't happen with computers."

Me: (Giving an evil stare at the phone like: WTF did you just say?)

So yeah...in the end it turns out that she had over 40 viruses that corrupted things. We fixed that problem but never got it out in time to be delivered to her so she stopped by to pick it up. Strangely, even though we missed the promised delivery time she wasn't upset at all. She was happy actually. Probably because she knew she got a free repair by being a bitch.

Probably knew it would do that when you turned it on. I think she scammed you right quick. It was just too perfect the way everything fell together. Keep records on her, because she likely will try this again.

Addendum: No one who has been around computers as long as he said would ever say something that assinine. What a horse's hindquarter.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Why didn't you pull the sytem error messages from before she brought it in? Then you easily could have ransomed her for the machine. 40 virii don't just show up out of the blue.
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
        Why didn't you pull the system error messages from before she brought it in? Then you easily could have ransomed her for the machine. 40 virii don't just show up out of the blue.
        Not quite sure what you are saying. But, she bought memory from us and paid for the installation so she was a customer at that point. The manager just offered to fix it at no charge because she was too much of a pain to deal with. No impact on my pocket, so I don't care...but it was just annoying.

Comment

If it wasn't a case of her trying to con you guys out of a free computer cleaning, the viri were probably snuck on the last time she had it on, and a full power down and boot loaded them in the areas that cause havoc.

Sigh, seen it more times than I can count.
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

*shudders*
            I just know I'll get one like this tomorrow...Well, as long as I power them up in front of the shmuck I pray that the computer gods will keep me safe
            "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth volatile View Post

Son: "Look I've used computers for years. Things like that don't happen with computers."
              Hahahahahahahaha! I'm going to tell that one at work. Oh, wait. This isn't the
              joke board.
              "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

For folks like that I usually pull something out of my *ss. Like "Did you park the hard-drive for travel before bring the computer here? It looks like you didn't."

Yes, I know back in the days (way way back). You could park the hard-drive head. But most people don't know that.
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

I remember being taught about parking a drive, but that is some old technology...

Rapscallion

Comment

Ahhh.... parking the hard drive, haven't had to do that since MFM drives went away. Those were also the ones where you had to enter the bad sectors manually, and low-level format.

Comment

Yeah, computers just don't break! Cablemodems also don't just loose connection, and cables don't just go bad. Heck, it worked yesterday, so it should work today. "What would cause this to happen?" I've heard all that crap before. What makes my car a POS today, when it ran like new off the showroom floor?

Comment

That sounds alot like a mother/son team I had to deal with over the phone one time for a cable company. Do you by chance happen to live in Tenessee?

Comment

Quoth BravoOrig View Post
                          and cables don't just go bad.
                          Yes! Let's tie a noose using this network cable, plug it in, then hang ourselves! We won't die, we'll go into the interweb!!!
                          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Keep records on her, because she likely will try this again.
                            And watch for her friends too.

They pass this kind of information along.
                            Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Next time I'm not going to even put my hands on the computer until the user powers it up with their own hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X