X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Well I Really Need It"

Errrgh.

So I get a call on the IT Service Desk line. Apparently, some idiots think we're sort of a catch-all operator line, and function as directory assistance.

While it's true, we do have several numbers that we can look up, not all of them fall under the scope of what we do, and this was one of them.

J2K: "IT Service Desk, this is Jay, how can I help you?"
    Them: "Yeah, I need the number for the [Department] Desk."

Now, [Department] isn't involved in IT. Not hardly. As such, I don't have that number on my go-to list of frequent numbers to give out when asked.

J2K: "The [Department] Desk... hm, I don't have that number immediately available, one moment."

So I check in our database. Nothing. I run a quick net-search on The Client intranet. Nothing. I check our database again... ooh, wait, [Department] Desk at [Location Y].

J2K: "The [Department] Desk at which location?"
    Them: "[Location X]."

Fuck.

J2K: "I'm not finding the number for the [Department] Desk..."
    Them: "Well, I really need that number."

Yes. Because saying that will just magically make me able to pull that number out of my ass.

Now, if worse came to worse, I could have gone to the senior service managers and asked if they had the number, or given the caller the number for the [Location Y] desk, and advised the caller to ask there if they had the [Location X] number.

We went around on this for another minute or so, as I start trawling through the [Organization] site of which [Department] is a part, hoping to find the number... but then the caller found the information he was looking for from someone else on his end.

It's just the way this guy said "Well, I really need that number" just immediately irritated the hell out of me.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

...since when is IT their personal directory? o.O The hell? If I needed a number in the company the last people I'd call would be the IT people.
    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Some people think IT stands for Information Table

Comment

We're an internal help desk whose number is provided constantly to outside customers.

So much joy when I know I may have a potential SC on my hands because I literally cannot help most of the time.
        Never stand between a computer technician and their morning coffee.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          IT Service Desk line.
          The only word they read in that is 'Service'. Therefore (under SC logic) whatever service they want, you must provide it.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            It's just the way this guy said "Well, I really need that number" just immediately irritated the hell out of me.
            I know. It's like they're trying to make *you* responsible for *their* problem.

You handled it pretty well there. Resisting the temptation to say "And that's my problem how?" and all.
            The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

"I'm not sure which number is theirs. It's either extension 867. Or extension 5309. Just ask for Jenny, she'll direct you right."

Comment

as if their need suddenly creates a unicorn-powered phonebook that magically opens to the page you want?

Cos sure you know they need it... but it doesn't mean you HAVE it.

Comment

Working...
                X