This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rude Coughing Customer

Okay, So I'm a Cashier at a busy grocery store. Today I had a customer whom you could tell had some sort of flu and she was coughing.

Rather then covering her mouth or coughing into her sleeve or turning away from me, as no one was behind her, she stands there with her mouth open and spews right into my face. I always make it apparent that its rude by kinda of trying to not face the customer. I gave her a bottle of water on the house to hoping it would distract her from coughing in my face again.

I get this alot during flu season with customers. The ones who are being polite - like I would do for anyone else if I'm sick - by turning away or coughing into their sleeves I'm fine with. It's just coughing with your mouth open into someone else's face, I think is a lack of respect or manners

Okay that was a rant. Hoping I don't get sick though, no sick days at my job
    Last edited by Dave1982; 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM. Reason: readability

That's just blatantly rude, and I would have called her out on that immediately. We're talking about your health here, so despite good customer service, there's no excuse for some SC to risk you getting a cold (and then staying home, losing money from not working, etc). At that point I would have left the cash register to go in the restroom and wash up, drink water, etc.

Comment

Be sure to stay hydrated and get some extra sleep if possible. Best way to prevent catching whatever the bitch had is to head it off at the pass.

Comment

Welcome to Customer Suck!

I can tolerate some level of rudeness. If someone burps without excusing themselves or makes an offensive comment, it's rude, but at least I don't get truly negatively affected by it. When an SC crosses that line where the rudeness does have a negative effect on me, I can't help but show a really disapproving face. I won't say anything, but the passive-aggressive look on my face shows what I'm really thinking.
        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
        Fiancee: What?!
        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

bleh. that's gross.

Comment

One of the cashiers where I work told this story. A guy was coming thru her lane and sneezed into his hand then blew his nose also into his hands. After which he preceded to unload his cart onto her belt without wiping his hands off. The minute he was done she put on rubber gloves (she is usually on the same register and keeps a pair in her drawer), turns off her lane light, and proceeds to wipe off her belt and anything else that he touched. I think she said that she also used the hand sanitizer before she put on the gloves.
            "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

bleh. i sneeze into my hand sometimes (left hand*) but then i try to do my best to put it out of commission until i can wash it.

* easier that way cos i'm right handed and... what if i have to shake someone's hand? bleh!

Comment

When I'm sick (or anytime in general), if I have to cough or sneeze, I so do into joint where my elbow is. That way, it's somewhat contained, and I still have relatively clean hands to hand over money or credit card.

Comment

Do you have hand sanitizer at your station? I might've been tempted to spritz some in my hands and wipe it all over my lower face (away from the eyes, of course). Really make a show of it, just to embarrass that classless hag.

Seriously, that is beyond rude. She deliberately tried to make you sick. She's going to get what's coming to her; unfortunately, not soon enough.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

People who cough without covering their mouth are the worst. Its something I just have to point out to people who don't (excluding those who are carrying things, etc - I don't expect people to knock themselves out by jamming whatever they're holding into their faces). Ugh, it is exceptionally rude and inconsiderate.

Hope you've managed to fight off any illness Jules.

Comment

Welcome aboard Jules.

I'm afraid I'm with the 'to heck with the customer's feelings' crowd on this one. Sanitize, turn away, step back, whatever it takes to keep yourself healthy. I've done this and been called out on it by SCs, and just say as non-angrily as possible "Sorry, I just can't afford to be out sick." They KNOW they're spreading germs, they just don't care.

Comment

World Health Organisation official recommendation for coughing/sneezing is to do so into an elbow or into your shoulder. Into a tissue which is immediately disposed of and the hands washed or sanitised is also acceptable.

Count me in with 'say something to the customer'.

<sigh> I know, I know. With the wrong manager, it might cost you your job. Stupid managers. (Some, not all.)
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

to customerssuck.com! That is my biggest pet peeve, having people cough right at you. Worst thing is when they hand you cash, which is already swimming in germs, and then cough or sneeze on it. When they do this, I gently try to grip it at the edge and put it in my drawer. Then first chance I get, I go to the bathroom and scrub my hands very thoroughly.
                          Whenever someone says its just allergies, I don't buy that. Ok I understand some people have allergies, just don't sneeze in my direction, I don't want your dam germs.
                          The real shocker came when I sat down at a table with my best friend, and he coughed in my direction into the air. I chastised him for it and told him he should know better. Then I jokingly said he would be paying for any time I missed at work if he got me sick

Comment

Always nice to see a new face around That being said, I know all too well what it is like to deal with people with poor health habits like that, hope you don't get ill from their ignorance
                            Violets are blue,
                            Roses are red,
                            I bequeath to thee...
                            A boot to the head >_>

Comment

I had a regular come in yesterday. He asked how things were and then started coughing towards me.

I said my plans to take over the world are moving ahead and as soon as I am in control I am going to make it a law that anyone that coughs on someone gets 30 years in jail.

He didn't seem to care.

Comment

Working...
                              X