This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This cant be happening

Been a very long time since I made my intro (my computer crashed right after I signed up).
    Another year has gone bye in the horrible world of ice cream vending.
    It started off all right was making $20-$30 an hour but then in June the trucks hit for the first time here. (I am on a tricycle with products that have not changed since 2002 vs a brand new ice cream truck)

So my pay dropped to an average of 57.5 cents an hour yes this is not a typo
    really (it is commission only)

Please has anyone else had this severe drop before

Ill post some interesting stories after

Welcome to CS! This would most likely be better placed in General Work Chat, perhaps a mod can move it?
    Otaku

Comment

Not sure where you're located, but do you own this tricycle ice-cream business? If not, is there other work available? Because I'd be putting out resumes and start looking for holiday work immediately. No way can someone survive on commission only if there's no commission to be had.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I'd not bother with the business anymore, honestly. There's no point working an 8 hour day for $4.60. Put our your resume and look for any other work.

Comment

RetailWorkhorse (I really need to get him back on here, at least so he can help the OP) operates a Hotdog Cart with our Dad. He's averaging approximately $25-$33 an hour (works anywhere from 3-8 hours a day). This is all profit money, not counting the bank and the money he takes out to replenish his supplies.

But you need to, at the very least, see if you can get a new beat or something.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Hi everyone thanks for replying, I do have a winter job ( shoveling snow for the same people who run ice cream bikes) They are really nice people such as giving me a cell phone because they didn't like my pay as you go phone, loaning me this computer I'm on after finding out mine crashed,and my favorite having ice cold beer waiting for me after I have a really bad day.

Anyway I went out and told my former regulars and friends told them that today was my last day.

I think this winter Im going to try and get financing for a truck and go out on my own, I think this is the only way to continue doing a what used to be a very fun job.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Comment

Your bosses sound like very nice people, but you also sound grateful (loyal) to the point of owing them to stay working there. Harsh as it sounds, this is business. You can't pay your bills/feed yourself with gratitude. Unless there's no other work to be had, why not find something else? There's no guarantee that a truck is going to bring in loads of business. Suddenly you'll have the added responsibility of truck payment/insurance/upkeep and need steady income to keep your head above water. Expanding your business can be a wonderful thing, but not when you're already desperate and trying to stay afloat. I think taking on more debt with such an uncertain situation is a difficult choice and probably a bad idea.

Sorry, I know you wanted to hear something more positive.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
              X