This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my boss is moving on...

Was informed yesterday that my boss has taken a new position in another department. Yay for him. (He'll be down the other end of the building.)

I don't know what exactly that means for us, though. I don't think anything will happen to my job but we don't yet know who, if anyone, will be replacing him. So I'm a little nervous.

The thing with my job is that I usually feel like I'm just waiting for my boss to tell me what to do. My boss says I'm doing good work, but a lot of the time I don't feel like I'm fully understanding what the purpose of the things I'm doing is. I'm an "analyst" but I have no analytical background (well, except for literature, which isn't quite the same as financial analysis). I have no financial background; I'm not a numbers person. I sort of fell into this job, and while I don't hate it I guess I am kinda bored, and frustrated when I feel like I can't quite grasp what I'm doing (which frankly, I think the medication I recently got off of has something to do with that). And now that we'll be getting a new boss (whether they put someone new in his spot or we just report directly to his boss in the future) I guess I'm afraid that whoever that person turns out to be they'll figure out that I'm clueless...

Anyway, I guess I'm rambling. I don't do well with change.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

How long have you been at your current job? Are you good at what you do, even if you don't fully understand it? Have you ever made a serious error in your work?

You don't actually have to answer me on any of that. But if you've been there more then a year and do a decent job now, then I'm sure you'll be fine. And maybe if there is a new boss they will be able to finally help you connect the dots on what it is you're doing.

You're a confident and capable adult, don't underestimate yourself. Now repeat that phrase til it sticks in your troubled head. Mmkay?
    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
      You're a confident and capable adult, don't underestimate yourself. Now repeat that phrase til it sticks in your troubled head. Mmkay?
      I'm working on that. Actually, my boss and I were talking about that yesterday when he told me the news. I was having a bad day (having a bit of a hard time lately) and I was kind of upset about some other things ("troubled head" is more accurate than you know ). He said I do good work but I need to be more confident. Which has always been a problem. But I've never been in a job for this long and still felt like I don't really know what I'm doing. (I've been there almost 2 years.) I was thinking today that maybe I can get some more clarity of my job and potential career path from whoever becomes the new boss.

I was also thinking maybe I should update my resume and see what's out there these days. Though I wouldn't want to leave the department in a lurch (seeing as how there's only 4 of us, including the boss, and the other girl and I can't really do each other's jobs - we each know enough to pitch in when the other is out, but I don't know half of what she does on a regular basis. That would really leave my coworker T - who is the one who knows everything - in a tough spot). I don't really forsee changing jobs in the very near future, but it's always good to have the resume up-to-date.
      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 09-12-2009, 02:15 AM.

Comment

See! You're a super-smart chica. You'll be fine. *big hug for the difficult crap you're dealing with* You'll make it through as long as you can keep your head up.
        "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Thanks...though I might be putting up another thread for one of the other things I'm dealing with, since I'm not sure what to do there....(already had one thread on it but I had it taken down for the time being, so I'm not sure if I want to start another one...waiting for someone to answer an email but if she doesn't soon I might do the thread, anyway).

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            That would really leave my coworker T - who is the one who knows everything - in a tough spot).
            Well, there's one possibility. Pick T's brains. Let them know that you're uncertain about a few things and see what they say. That's what I've done in similar situations. I know what it's like to feel like you're treading water, or walking a tightrope, because you know HOW to do your job but the reasons for things aren't clear. You probably know more than you realize, but asking other knowledgeable co-workers for advice never hurts. They might even feel happy about being asked, it's always nice when people think you know things and ask you for help.

Just a thought.
            What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
            X