This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting the war against rudeness:

We've all been there. Some big lumbering guy goes up to you with an expressionless facade, and just blurts out "nails" without so much as an expression of humanity on his face, nor a hello.

Then when you say Hello, and wave a little, to initiate a greeting and friendliness, they don't say "Oh, I'm sorry, [i]hello![i]" but simply say "nails" again. Then you become concerned, and either just sadly point them to the right aisle, or even chance another meek "..hello.." in the most desperate hope that you'll get a rise out of him, ... just another "nails..."

I've grown a bit tired of it, really. My new plan:

My nickname is nails.

Or lumber, or caulking, or whatever else the person is asking for so impolitely.

SC: nails
    Me: Yes?
    Me: Yes? How may I help you?
    Me: I am quite aware that you are talking to me, now what can I do for you?
    SC: Are you dumb or something? Where are the fsking nails?
    Me: The nails are in 15 with your manners there, buddy.

I swear, I've seen one of the sassy 40-year old thin-as-a-stick cashier/price changer gals do this all the time, and it just works so very well...

It's probably because she's older than they are, but doesn't look a day over 26.

Another way she combats rudeness is as follows: (And I have made up her name of course.)

Gal: Hi, I'm Gal! *Extends hand* Nice to meetcha!

Note how nothing pertaining to the actual item was mentioned just yet. The invitation for friendliness has been opened, and if the customer declines the friendly offer of a handshake and a name, -then- you can say "it's in 15 with your manners."

I have had a lot of managers sighing in disbelief about how rude people are these days, and have been passing on many of these experiences and tales of woe to the other sales clerks when we get in the door first thing in the morning. "Ugh, yesterday, I had this guy..."

I've even seen one of the corporate executives who was visiting the store witness one such transaction. When the customer walked away, the suit whispered to me "...what a jack@$$..." and went about his business. I beamed quite brightly for the rest of the day.
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

A corporate suit who acknowledged that an almighty CUSTOMER could be a jack@$$!?!?

Quick, fire up the cloning machine before they remove that one...

Comment

Some of them are the owner's children themselves, and are primarily forced / goaded into the business. They didn't have to go through the morally disenchanting hoops to get where they are. They've got all their niceness preserved. It's a pretty cool thing actually.
      SC: "Are you new or something?"
      Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

In a bookstore, this can sometimes be amusing.

Take Thomas Friedman's popular book "The World is Flat".

Actual conversation:

Cranky Old Man: The World is Flat!
        Me: That's not what I heard!
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth ShadowTiger View Post
          Me: Yes?
          Me: Yes? How may I help you?
          Me: I am quite aware that you are talking to me, now what can I do for you?
          SC: Are you dumb or something? Where are the fsking nails?
          Me: The nails are in 15 with your manners there, buddy.
          Or an alternate last line:
          Me: We have framing nails and roofing nails, but we definitely don't have nails for that purpose.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
            Cranky Old Man: The World is Flat!
            Me: That's not what I heard!
            And there are lots of book titles you can do that with.

SC: 1984!
            Emp: It's 2009, actually.

SC: Frankenstein!
            Emp: Pleased to meet you, I'm Employee.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

hahahahaha that funny!!!

I wish we could do that at work when a rude customer comes up to us.

But alas we have implemented a "new" customer service program whose sole purpose is to make us kiss the customers' asshole.
              NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

I love doing this at work whenever my shift leads get snappy and start riding my ass.

This is how it's went in the past few months

A = Ass
                M= Me

A- I want this right now!
                M- Didn't your parents ever teach you please and thank you?

Or sometimes, I will be working on something and one of them will be standing right next to me, the typical toe tapping and grunting and sighing. When I finish it, it's almost like they rip it right out of my hands.

A- YOU'RE WELCOME! (and trust me, I've SHOUTED this before as they walked off)
                M- Uh.....err.....
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                X