This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first surgery!

I just got back from a dental consultation and I'm scheduled for surgery on the 10th for full extractions and dentures.

I'm a little on the young side for dentures at 37, but a few years of low-key depression and me not taking care of myself (combined with a severe dental phobia that I have no idea where it came from) brought me into a pretty rough state with my teeth. Plus everyone in my family has had dentures relatively young. I wasn't a candidate for partials which means a general dentist would have been recommending the same thing and charging me a lot more than this place is going to, which specializes in dentures. I'm going to need 31 extractions, including 3 wisdom teeth (the fourth is fully impacted and sideways and isn't causing any trouble so they're leaving it alone). I'm going under conscious sedation during the procedure. Immediate dentures go in that day, and I'll get permanent ones in about 8 months. I'm also considering getting implants for the lower denture when I get the permanents.

My consultation today went well, and did a lot towards lessening my anxiety. I am now actually sorta looking FORWARD (?!) to the 10th to get these rotten things out of my mouth and have a smile to be unashamed of once again.

You're in good company; last year, Shane McGowan of The Pogues, known for his bad teeth, had them all replaced and now has a great smile. Hopefully your procedure will go as well. Good luck!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I know your feels, Kaylyn! I'm 43 and doing the whole dentures dance as well I'm in the process of saving/fundraising for my new choppers as my dental coverage through work doesn't handle dentures, unfortunately, so I'm having the teeth removed a few at a time as that is covered by my plan. The hopes are that by the time all the teeth are out that I'll have enough to get my dentures - I can't wait to have a nice smile again!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X