This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK WTF just happened?

My sister's Chromebook did an update and suddenly she's got an Ask search bar instead of her normal Google search bar and her usual Google icon has disappeared.

I don't even use Chrome and my homepage looks different too!

Anybody know how to get the Google search bar back on Chrome? I tried setting her default back to Google but she's still got the Ask task bar and she doesn't want that. She hates change
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Sounds to me like the folks at Ask dropped Google a good chunk of change to make this happen...Could also have been bundled in with a Java update.

This may be useful for uninstalling the Ask bar (TL;DR version - use Control Panel in windows itself to remove anything with Ask in the name): http://www.howtogeek.com/138516/the-shameful-saga-of-uninstalling-the-terrible-ask-toolbar/?PageSpeed=noscript
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Sounds to me like the folks at Ask dropped Google a good chunk of change to make this happen...Could also have been bundled in with a Java update.

This may be useful for uninstalling the Ask bar (TL;DR version - use Control Panel in windows itself to remove anything with Ask in the name): http://www.howtogeek.com/138516/the-shameful-saga-of-uninstalling-the-terrible-ask-toolbar/?PageSpeed=noscript
      She has Chrome, though. It's not Windows based.

I dunno, she might get used to it. Hasn't said anything about it today.

As for mine...duhhh, I hit IE instead of Firefox! It's been so long that I didn't recognize what my homepage looks like in IE!

Comment

I've got a Chromebook and it did an update after I read this thread, worried that I would end up with an Ask search bar. But there's no hide nor hair of it on my system at all.

Have your sister check her settings for her browser - she should be able to change things in there, I would think.

Comment

I'm assuming it's a browser extension.
          In chrome, click the chrome menu
          more tools,
          extensions,
          find the extension you want to get rid of, click the trashcan next to it,
          click remove.

Or

if there is a button on the offending toolbar, right click it and select remove from chrome

Comment

Chrome OS should have a function similar to Control Panel that can remove progs at the OS level, I would guess.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth SixFortyK View Post
              I'm assuming it's a browser extension.
              In chrome, click the chrome menu
              more tools,
              extensions,
              find the extension you want to get rid of, click the trashcan next to it,
              click remove.

Or

if there is a button on the offending toolbar, right click it and select remove from chrome
              We did manage to go back to almost the same settings as before, but she's annoyed that they removed the G icon that she used to click on to open up to her homepage.

Initially when I tried to change this, I found instructions that said to click settings and then click on Search.

There wasn't any "Search" to click on.

Comment

Working...
              X