This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really should just stop talking....

I should. At least with customers. No matter what I ask or say, they don't seem to hear me. For some background, I work at a grooming salon ( I wash dogs), but people don't seem to listen to a word I say. I'm not sure if it's my voice, or they seem to just hear what they want. Here's some examples:

Gentleman walks in the door.
    Me: "I know which dog your here for! Just one second and-"
    SC: "I'm here for Brandy, the little brown one."
    Me:"...yes.."

Me: "Just let me grab the groomer doing your dog and you can explain what you want done"
    SC: "I want his hair cut really short and....(rambles on about dog)."
    Me: "....yes...."

The best one:
    Mer: "Thanks for calling grooming, this is ashly, how can I help you?"
    Lady: "Hi stephanie! (wow we're off to a good start) I was wondering if I could get my dog in."
    Me:" Are you looking to get him a bath or a bath and haircut?"
    Lady: Well we work at a motel, so it's hard to get away and I was wondering (rambles on for 3 mins without answering the question)"
    Me: "Okay...sooo....bath and a brush or a haircut?"
    Lady: "Well I guess he only needs a bath."
    Me: "Well we're pretty open for that, how about tomorrow?"
    Lady: "Tomorrow's fine."
    Me: Morning or afternoon?"
    Lady: "Well tomorrow i'm taking the grandkids to the mall and...(another 3 mins of rambling. There's a customer waiting for me to get her dog. Please please just answer the question? We could have been done with this about 10 minutes ago...)
    Me: "Sooooo....how about 11?"
    Lady "well its so hard to get away, but I guess could we drop him off early? We have to drop him off anyway when we go out like this (oh god lady please i'm just washing your damn dog I don't need a life story) and it's kind of hard to drop him off with me working the motel....."
    Me: "Ummm sure we open at 8, you could drop him off then, but we probably wouldn't be able to start him until 11, and he should be done about 1pm, would that be okay?"
    Lady: "sure! We may be a bit late with the kids blah blah blah..."
    Me: " Okay may I have your last name?"
    Lady: "my name is blah blah and I work at blah blah...."
    Me: Okay....breed of dog?"
    Lady: His name's Bosco."
    Me: "Ooookkkkayyy....BREED of DOG."
    Lady "Well he's this german shepard mix thing. Maybe an aussie shepard. He's smallish, or medium. He looks kind of like a rottweiler but he's really nice!" (by this time thankfully another groomer's assisting the people who've congregated into a line).
    Me: "Ookkkayy... mix breed..."
    Lady: "Yah i'm going with the grandkids.... (Oh jesus no...)...blah blah mall....
    Me: "Okay ma'am tomorrow at 11 o'clock, see you there!"
    Lady: " but I'm dropping him off early, remember?"
    Me, getting a bit peeved: "Yes ma'am there's a note that you'll be dropping him off early."
    Lady: Okay, thanks stephaine!"
    Me: "thank you, too ma'am..."

Seriously...one person...please listen...?

Also, please, for the love of all that is holy...DO NOT have your child call up somewhere to ask them questions, especially when your two feet away.

Comment

I get these people at my work as well. They just talk over me, and give me scads of completely unrelated and useless information, while ignoring any relevant questions I might ask. Jerks.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

There was a lady like that at Sears too, when I worked there. She'd come in once a month or so, ask a question, but keep talking so I couldn't answer. Once she kept it up for almost an hour! No joke! Then she'd always leave without buying anything.

She was another one of the reasons I quit.
        "Wouldn't that be unethical?"
        "That's only an issue for those who aren't already in Hell."
        --Dilbert

Comment

Quoth HellPuppi View Post
          Also, please, for the love of all that is holy...DO NOT have your child call up somewhere to ask them questions, especially when your two feet away.
          especially if they cant spell their name yet

Comment

Quoth freaktard View Post
            There was a lady like that at Sears too, when I worked there. She'd come in once a month or so, ask a question, but keep talking so I couldn't answer. Once she kept it up for almost an hour! No joke! Then she'd always leave without buying anything.

She was another one of the reasons I quit.
            I have a few co-workers who do this. They ask me how to do something, and then when I start to answer, they'll start talking about why they couldn't do it, or why they don't know how, and then why they need to know OR they just start talking about a completely different subject. Here's the kicker -- they get paid 3 times as much as I do because they have college degrees. Yet, they keep coming to me for help/answers and they just keep talking.
            I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

But... but... but Junior's learning how to be a big boy and talk on the telephone all by himself. And besides, he's so cuuuuuuuuute when he tries to be a grown up! You meanie!

Comment

I feel your pain! People will sit in their cars and send their kids in, then be awed when their 4-year-old can't remember "decaf grande soy three-pump cinnamon dolce cappucino" and who is to blame? Of course, these horrible baristas. Take a freaking parenting class. They are children, not slaves.

Comment

Yes, 'Stephanie', I have learned through many a time answering the phone at work that my name, is, in fact, "Sally". Apparently my parents were mistaken when I was born.

Quoth GayleShy View Post
                  But... but... but Junior's learning how to be a big boy and talk on the telephone all by himself. And besides, he's so cuuuuuuuuute when he tries to be a grown up! You meanie!
                  That's why you use caller ID and only let him answer when it's Grandma.

-ams- whose name is not, in fact, Sally.

ETA, I had a semi-regular life story teller who used to call. She was always looking for books on some kind of collectible...pottery or something...and you were lucky if you got off the phone in less than 15 minutes...
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-27-2007, 11:42 PM.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

GOTTA LOVE CUSTOMER LIFE STORIES!

I remember this one old lady, I actually felt sorry for her, but there was a huge line behind her (it was Sunday, the day after Powerball drawing, and the jackpot had been somewhere in the $200,000,000 or whatever and people were going nutso getting their tickets checked).

"Well see, my grand-daughter bought this for me, I really don't play the lottery (really, an old person who DOESN'T throw away their entire pension and social security checks on lottery tickets? My lucky day!) and I was just wondering if you could check this for me. I don't really know how these thingies work but I was hoping I'd get a dollar or two. I mean she's such a nice girl and buying her grandma a lottery ticket...."

Rrrrr!
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Ugh, ramblers are the bane of my existence. It never fails, as soon as I try to get some of my end-of-day paperwork done, I will get someone with nothing better to do than give me an in-depth analysis of their beer choosing thought processes.

SC: Oooh, what do you have? (looking at the beer seletions RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES) Hmmmmm....what is the difference between beer a and beer b? You know, my sister's brother-in-law's uncle knows a guy who works for a brewery and they said...blah blah blargle
                      Me:

Comment

Yes, we love the ramblers. I have this one in particular who is a nice enough lady, but she doesn't not know how to shut it off. Even when I finally get through her transaction, she'll just stand there babbling. I've gotten to the point that I just walk off if there are no customers in line behind her. She doesn't even seem to notice that I've lost interest and moved on. It just doesn't phase her that I'm giving token responses as I do some other menial task: "Oh yeah....Uh-huh......Really.......Okay.......Hmmmm..........." Like I said, I don't want to hurt her feelings because she's extremely nice, almost sickeningly nice, but still, I have work to do.
                        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Working...
                        X