This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We...don't....have....it....YET!!

For the past two weeks, we had this kid call in constantly, asking for the 3 new Naruto mangas.

Which begs this question: Don't these people ever go onto the internet or even a magazine and find the release dates?

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
    For the past two weeks, we had this kid call in constantly, asking for the 3 new Naruto mangas.

Which begs this question: Don't these people ever go onto the internet or even a magazine and find the release dates?
    That would be too easy . . . and besides, release dates are for everyone else.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post

Because when it comes to manga, most publishers send the books weeks before the release date. SO and I have found a lot of bookstores sell the stuff as soon as they get it.
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
        Because when it comes to manga, most publishers send the books weeks before the release date. SO and I have found a lot of bookstores sell the stuff as soon as they get it.
        Don't know if those are treated the same as video games, DVDs or CDs, but there can be severe penalties for putting any of the aforementioned out for sale before the release date.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Shit, I'm STILL waiting for Hellsing vol. 8!

I have no idea when it's going to be released, but I have been waiting for over a year.
          Check out my cosplay social group!
          http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Don't know if those are treated the same as video games, DVDs or CDs, but there can be severe penalties for putting any of the aforementioned out for sale before the release date.
            That depends on if it has a "Strict on Sale" date. If it does, yes, you can get fined for selling it early or even lose the right to carry the publisher's books in the future (or at least not get them in time for their SOS dates). If it doesn't have an SOS date, you can put it out as soon as you get it, even though the computer might say it's not released yet. The stores often get things really early and have them sitting in the back for a couple weeks.

I used to do new releases and would bitch about the fact that we'd get 20+ casepacks of the newest James Patterson or whatever 2 weeks (or more) before it went on sale, cuz then they'd be taking up all kinds of space in the back, and space is at a premium back there... I have learned that the reason we tended to get stuff so early was because they ship from the distribution center to all the stores at the same time, so they have to do it in time for, say, Alaska to get theirs as well...being that the stores I worked in are half an hour from the DC, yeah, we got them early...
            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-29-2007, 01:41 AM.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Suncoast constantly sells all their anime well before streetdate because as it was explained to SO and I, they only care about the money. Best Buy does the same thing. We can usually find DVDs a week before streetdate.

As far as the books go, we've yet to be told we can't buy them. Most times we can knock out our manga list in one visit once a month.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Suncoast constantly sells all their anime well before streetdate because as it was explained to SO and I, they only care about the money. Best Buy does the same thing. We can usually find DVDs a week before streetdate.

As far as the books go, we've yet to be told we can't buy them. Most times we can knock out our manga list in one visit once a month.
                DVDs and CDs come out on Tuesdays, and I used to bowl on a league on Monday nights. At least one person on our team would stop at the 7-11 across the street for snacks on the way, and they always had the movies that were coming out the next day right on the counter. We knew this because one of the people on my team was the Music Department manager...

I don't think I've ever seen any Manga with an SOS date. In my experience, if we have it and it's not on the shelf it's because it just doesn't $#*@ing fit.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You should kinda realize that i'm talking about Viz releasing 3 Naruto Volumes in a month to catch up to the Anime for 3 months. So 9 Mangas in 3 months..

Comment

Suncoast constantly sells all their anime well before streetdate
                    That happened ONCE the entire five + years I worked at Chesterfield, and it was due to a particular manager (coke head) putting the box into the flat to go out on the floor and whoever put out the anime flat wasn't paying attention (apparently, not an anime geek, as we had a few, including myself, who would volunteer to put out the anime so we would know what the new stuff was) So, one of our absolutely worst delivery people comes waltzing into the store, finds this 'unreleased' new release on the shelf, and attempts to buy it from TK, who tries to not sell it to him, mostly because he was a huge (HUUU-UUGE!) jackass about everything, and started spouting, "It's the law, if it's on the shelf, you have to sell it to me!"
                    Coke fiend overhears TK refusing the sale, and walks over to sell the movie, saying he'd do it, no problem.
                    TK washes his hands of the situation, and tells me the story in private later that week, after Coke fiend blew up at TK for no reason that I could see as TK and I were busy putting out the shipment (alone, mind... even though Coke fiend was in the store, and on the clock...).
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                    X