This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure alot of you have seen this....

I actually saw the same sign here in Syracuse one time.

The only bum story I have was when I worked downtown, I got stopped by a guy claiming his car broke down, needed $40 to get it fixed, lived 30 miles away, he was visiting a sick friend in the hospital, etc. As soon as he mentioned the hospital, I remembered an article I'd read just a week before about a Patient Advocate Office, that helps family/friends out that are visiting people there. So I asked him if he tried there yet, since that's what they do. The look on his face was classic, as in I caught him. He stammered out some answer, and I just kept on with my "go talk to the advocate office" line.

I remember years ago one of the news shows (20/20, Dateline) did a story on panhandlers, one thing I remember is them tailing one after his day was over, and he walked a couple blocks then got in a brand new SUV and went home.

Here's a fake news story on window washer from a show in Australia.

Comment

My manager, came in just after her lunch, just fuming over a panhandler that was near our local Safeway. She was saying there was a woman panhandler out by the parking lot exit/entrance and my manager was stuck behind a line of cars. She watched in disgust as each car in front of her stopped and gave the woman change. My manager doesn't tolerate panhandlers (especially if they're fully capable of working), needless to say, she drove on without giving the woman anything.

Well, anyway, she was sharing this story with a couple of customers. One woman pipes up, "I live near her, she lives in a big house," (which wouldn't surprise me, actually). I don't think there is a panhandling law in Washington (another part of my managers rant).
      This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

I don't give money to people with animals in tow. Animals can cost more than kids to feed and I don't understand how they can afford to keep a pet when I can't, and I'm working full time.

And I certainly don't give money to people who look drunk/drugged out or who are smoking. With cigarettes being around $10 a pack here, it seems ludicrous to me that they are homeless and smoking. How on earth do they get money for smokes and they can't afford shoes or a cheap pair of track pants?

I've never been harrassed by pan handlers thank goodness.
        Total surrender
        Your touch is so tender
        Your skin is like water on a burning beach
        And it brings me relief
        "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Most panhandlers I ignore. There are a ton here in Austin. I haven't given anything to any of them.

There was a couple in hawaii though when I lived there. There were 5 guys all with terminal illnesses (I know cuz I gave them rides to the dr's a couple times and to the pharmacy) That shared a 1 bedroom apartment. They had a hard time finding jobs since they didn't know how they would feel from day to day. They would play music downtown on the street at night. I started talking to the one guy because he played tenor sax which I also played. We became friends and whenever I got paid (i was a navy brat so that = no bills) I would take them to the store and buy like $100 worth of food for their apartment. They never asked for my help and I think that's why I wanted to.

I will do anything and everything for my friends but if your just sittin on the corner all day and it's obvious that you are able boodied enough to work.....get a job.

Comment

I work in the city, and have been at this job for about 17 1/2 years. Back when I was new at the job, and also young and naive, I was walking to one of the many restaurants in the area for lunch, when this guy approached me. He told me he had just gotten out of the hospital, and hadn't had anything to eat all day, and asked if I could spare a few dollars. I gave him some, he thanked me, and I walked away feeling good about myself, because I had helped someone out.

...until a few weeks later, when I ran into the same guy. My memory is terrible when it comes to names and faces, and I would not have recognized him had he not given me the exact same sob story (apparently he didn't remember me either.)

I didn't think my faith in humanity could have sunk any lower after being in retail for two years, but it did that day. I mumbled something about not having any cash on me, and walked away angrily. I was in a bad mood for the rest of the day after that.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Sadly, we have homeless season starting about this time of year. Guys get stuck here on the way to Alaska. DUIs are felonies in Canada, so they can't get across the border. Then they are left to scramble for money for the ferry or, if they sell their car/truck, a plane ticket. These guys have a job, they just can't get to it. They work the LaborReady and panhandle. A few years back, a local bartender who became friends with one of these guys asked if I would "bank" the guy's money - hold it in an envelope so he wouldn't drink it all away. Every once and awhile he or I would slip in an extra $5 or so. As soon as he had enough he got a ticket and was on his way to work, he had lost his original job, but got hooked up with another one.
              I'll help these guys, and heck I don't judge what was I going to do with the $5? Buy a beer - one less for me one more for them. It is a payback for all those starving student years when the guys would come back from fishing and buy round after round of drinks for the whole bar. Fisherman karma.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                He told me he had just gotten out of the hospital, and hadn't had anything to eat all day, and asked if I could spare a few dollars.
                A few years ago, I ran into pretty much the exact same situation at the local Dunkin Donuts (there are many other food places much closer to the hospitals...why walk all this way?). She was oddly dressed; not quite decked out but not scruffy either. Foolishly, I ended up buying her an egg sandwich (lucky for me they were having a special so I was only out $1).

The next week, I see her again, same place pulling the same scam, same clothes, same story.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I had a neighbor pull the "it's an emergency, can you spare $20" line. I gaver her a $10, because I knew where she lived. I never did remember to go bug her about it, though.

My new neighbor was by the other night asking if she could borrow $20. But she was willing to put up one of her rings as collateral, so I'm pretty sure she would have paid it back. Except that I never carry cash any more, so I don't have money to loan people.

This last bit isn't about a panhandler, but just what I guess was a homeless guy. My work is about half a mile from the local social services office, so there are a lot of poor and non-working people in the area. Monday afternoon as I was heading to the bus stop, I saw some guy leaning against a wall on the other side of the street. He looked really suspicious.

As I'm walking, I'm trying to figure out what he's doing. At first, I thought he was trying to spy on the house on the other side of the wall, but after a bit I realize he's peeing!

It's not quite 5pm, broad daylight, and he's peeing on a wall on a busy street. There's a tractor with a 52' trailer not 20 feet from where he is, but he chose to pee on a section of wall in full view of anyone driving by.

Which is really unfortunate for him, because one of the people to drive by, just before he finished up (he was at it for a long time) was a cop.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I do not give money to panhandlers. I know in giving them the money I am contributing to a drug habit or giving them only a temporary fix. I have also seen too many scammers. For example, there was a guy with a broken leg that used to beg for money at the corner of a busy street that I go on every day. He had that broken leg for two years. Then I've had the people who beg for money for food and then curse at me when I offer to buy them a sandwich.

Another reason I don't give away money is fear for my own safety. I rarely carry money in my pockets and I am not willing to open my wallet out to a stranger to show them everything I have.

I give money to reputable charities that I know are going to put my money to finding food, shelter, and hopefully jobs for the people who are truely down on their luck.
                    Last edited by BunnyJas; 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM. Reason: mispelled word

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                      Once I was visiting my GF at that time, at College. And I needed change for $1. I asked about 15 people. I got told that I need a job, to go to hell. This one lady gave me the change, and didn't expect the $1. I told them all, what that money was for.
                      That's why you have to hold the dollar over your head, displaying it for all to see, so they know that you're not a beggar, just looking to break a dollar.

Joe

Comment

hmmmmm this thread reminds me i should stock up one my woman shelter cards just in case.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          As I'm walking, I'm trying to figure out what he's doing. At first, I thought he was trying to spy on the house on the other side of the wall, but after a bit I realize he's peeing!

It's not quite 5pm, broad daylight, and he's peeing on a wall on a busy street. There's a tractor with a 52' trailer not 20 feet from where he is, but he chose to pee on a section of wall in full view of anyone driving by.
                          In San Francisco, the sheer number and boldness of the homeless are astonishing. They are everywhere. I was on the 38 bus one day, just staring out the widow, and we passed a check cashing store that was not open yet. There was a line of homeless, presumably waiting to cash their ssi checks. One of the homeless was facing away from the building , literally urinating into the street. A big, yellow, arcing stream of piss, just right in front of everyone. Nice.

Joe

Comment

A local TV station recently did an expose on these 'bums." One was taped approaching people all day, asking for spare change. He looked appropriately down and out with his Salvation army suit and dirt and grease on his face and hands. Well, five o'clock rolled around,and the camera followed the panhandler as he walked about a half a block down the street and climb into a cherry Mercedes convertible. They estimated he had pocketed about $400 in change that day. Some corners are so good that the police often have to break up fights between panhandlers over getting to work that corner today.

Comment

In regards to the 'getting change at college' story. Shows the stupidity of most college students! There IS a difference in 'Do you have any spare change?' and 'Do you have change for a dollar?'.

Apparently, most of these in-bred morons couldn't tell the difference. I assume you being on college grounds, you'd of looked like your average college student. So why they got all defensive when you obviously didn't look like a panhandler I'll never know.
                              Last edited by bendertiger; 08-24-2007, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, many times the shelters and other support services are themselves short of supplies. But I agree - support the (good) support services, not the panhandlers, and you'll be more likely to support those who are honestly interested in getting out of the hole they're in.

Just try to keep an eye on the support service. If anyone knows how to easily check which support services are genuine and have a low overhead/service provision ratio, I'd love to know.

I don't want to give to 'charities' where the bulk of the money goes to the boss' Mercedes. On the other hand, I feel the social workers and other staff deserve to be fairly paid. A reasonable level of overhead is part of the cost of giving the money where it's needed, rather than to the scamming panhandlers.
                                Seshat's self-help guide:
                                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                                X