X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth JustADude View Post
    Actually, there is.
    The chances of pulling that off are pretty slim.

When I was waitressing I had that happen to me only it was hot coffee in a mug and I couldn't see through the mug. So, yes, I wound up with HOT COFFEE all over me. Yes, I had mild burns. I gave the guy great service- he was just an asshole.

I've seen it done with water glasses also. Trust me, it's easier to set that stupid trick up than it is to undo it.

And what if the OP just wound up drenching an unsuspecting busboy who had nothing to do with it?

Why not simply speak to a manager, leave a comment card or call the company's guest relations line?

I'm highly disappointed that the people of this site would not only DO this but condone it as well. It's SC behavior- period.
    Last edited by NightAngel; 08-25-2007, 09:56 AM.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
      I'm highly disappointed that the people of this site would not only DO this but condone it as well. It's SC behavior- period.
      Quoth Ree View Post
      Actually, I think that type of thing is a prime example of sucky customer in action.

I wonder how any of you would feel if someone tried that just being a smartass, because they got the idea from reading this site!

Despite the impression I gave by condoning such actions in my post, I wouldn't do that no matter how bad the service..heck I haven't even stiffed anyone on a tip..even for the worst of services.

But I agree that my post was revenge oriented (very much so) and promoted SC behavior, sorry 'bout that..I have went back and deleted my post that condoned it.

Again, sorry about the post, no matter how rude or sloppy a service is..it's just lowering oneself to go down to the other person's level and ultimately make oneself a SC. There are better ways, it was my bad for jumping the gun and saying I thought that trick was a good idea.

Comment

One of the most conversations I've ever had with a customer involved having to explain to him that no, the kitchen staff do not share tips with the waitstaff. I had to go over the whole speil about how waiters & waitresses make a cut hourly rate plus tips while the cooks make the same no matter how crappy they make your food, and so on.

This man had gone his whole life (he was in his 30's) just assuming it was OK to leave no tip if the food was unsatisfactory. He also was unaware that, if he was unhappy with the food, he should make a complaint to the server, then to management if the issue were still not resolved. I even had to tell him that no, I didn't mind being complained to, as it was one of my main duties to clear up customer concerns and that I was actually happy to know what area(s) of our restaurant needed extra attention (as long as the complaint is made in a resonable, non-asshat fashion).
        "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
        -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
          I've seen it done with water glasses also. Trust me, it's easier to set that stupid trick up than it is to undo it.
          Two words: Bus tub.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Ok ok, look what you have done..now someone is gonna have to explain bus tub to me LOL! PM me if it is easier

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
              now someone is gonna have to explain bus tub to me
              It's the tub that they use to 'bus' tables. They put the dirty dishes in them to take them to the kitchen.

I'm assuming Jester means, put the bus tub under the edge of the table and allow the glass to spill into the tub.

Works great as long as you are in a restaurant that uses them.

I was in one just today, and the waitress cleans off the table by hand and carries the dishes to the kitchen. Not a bus tub in sight.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Ohhhhh, doh! I thought it was some complicated technique or trick, how's that for embarassing..where's the blushing emoticon, LOL! *EDIT - Here ya go

Thanks Ree
                Last edited by Ree; 08-26-2007, 03:40 AM.

Comment

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for keeping the thread civil, at least so far. I lost count of how many of these we've had to close.

Now, hopefully what I'm about to reveal won't make any of the servers here hate me, as I've seen the error of my ways...

I used to be a crappy tipper. I figured that it wasn't my job to pay the servers, and that they made decent money already. Don't get me wrong, I'd tip, but usually only about 10%. My ex used to get on my case about that, but since she found fault with every single thing I did, how was I to know she was actually right that time? It wasn't until I came here and discovered the horrible truth about what servers really get paid that I changed my ways. Now I usually tip around 20%, unless the service was extra-bad or extra-good. There's only one time I can think of that I failed to tip, at least intentionally, and even then I felt so guilty about it that I told my story here. Thankfully, no one, including people who worked as servers, blamed me in the least.

I took the family out to dinner, and everything seemed fine at first. The waitress brought out our drinks, and then our food without incident. The trouble started when my wife asked for a refill. She brought it out, and accidently dropped it, spilling it all over my wife and all over the table. Naturally, my wife was upset, but she said it was OK, accidents happen.

After that, the waitress vanished. We saw her reappear briefly into an empty section, only to vanish again before we could get her attention. She never came back to see if we needed anything else, wanted to order dessert, or even to clean up the mess she had made. Seriously, there were still ice cubes all over the table when we finally said "Screw it!" and went up front to ask for our check, as she had never even brought that out.

Not only did I not leave a tip, but I complained to the manager on the way out. I hate to get people in trouble, even if they deserve it, but I was quite upset this time. The manager gave us a free box of ice cream to take home, and said he'd have a word with the waitress. I'd hate to have been in her shoes.

As far as only bringing cash and miscalculating how much it's going to be, I did that once. I had enough for the bill, but only a pitiful handfull of change to leave as a tip. I left what I had, along with a note aplogizing for the crappy tip, and explaining what had happened. While notes don't pay the bills, I figured it was better than leaving her to wonder if we were unhappy with the service she had given.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                    Works great as long as you are in a restaurant that uses them.
                    Even then, I've seen bus tubs that (for some silly, unknown reason) have holes in the bottom. Just four holes, that wouldn't work well for draining, and almost looked to be a by-product of production. But a glass of water into there would likely start leaking out unless you managed to keep the thing tilted just right, and you wouldn't be able to really carry anything else.
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

• Quoth blas87
                      Now pizza boys/girls, they get at least minimum wage and a delivery fee, and a tip. So even if they get stiffed upon delivery, they still are getting at least $6 an hour.[/QUOTE]

Quoth Nekojin View Post
                      They also have fuel expenses and wear and tear on the car. Pizza delivery is anything but a cushy job.
                      First note I have is that pizza delivery persons DO NOT get minimum wage where I live. I make $5.30 per hour (about $1.50 less than min. wage) so I am not making min wage right off of the bat.

second note is that if your car breaks down the employer will NOT help you with repairs. I just had to spend $350 for a set of new front axle bearings. luckly I was able to get it done on a day off and did not loose any work time. anothe time I had to spend $800 for a new steering column. and this does not even cover tires, oil changes, tranny oil, or any regular maintenance expences.

third note is that most delivery companies REQUIRE just regular auto insurance coverage. what most people DO NOT know is that if you are delivering and have an accident (even if it is not your fault) there is a very very good chance your insurance provider WILL NOT cover your accident and you will be liable for damages and possibly open up your employer to law suits. In order to CYA myself on this issue I had to get commercial auto insurance which is about 3 or 4 times the normal premimum I was used to paying ie. $40 per month vs. $130 per month after I was dropped by my regular insurance provider after they found out about my doing pizza delivery.

Fourth note is that most weeks I will put 300 to 400 miles on my car. now I do not drive a "beater" but it is getting close to that. this is not your normal commute driving. this is stop and go short and long distance and all of that just adds up to huge amounts of wear and tear.

all of us drivers KNOW exactly where all of the stiffers live esp the ones who are rural and at the very longest edge of our area. there are certain hotels we all HATE to deliver to either because they are transiant or fleabag places or the or the really nice hotel where the gamblers are bad (emphasis on BAD) tippers.

I depend on my tips for regular stuff as well as rent, food, utilities, AND trying to put back some to fund my way back into school to update my skill set and get out of the restaurant business again (I did not want to have student loans hanging over my head after I left school esp at the age of 47)
                      Last edited by Ree; 08-26-2007, 11:21 PM. Reason: Fixing quote tags
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

• Well, you all will be glad to know I actually shocked a bartender last night by the simple act of tipping her. Well, maybe you will be glad...the good news is that someone got tipped. The bad news is that she was making such shitty tips that she was suprised when I actually ponied up.

It's a sad state of affairs when someone is shocked by getting tipped.

I was at a wedding, and I have to say, it was a georgeous wedding with a sumptuous meal and an open bar.

I don't care if you aren't actually paying for your drinks, your bartender is still working. In fact, if you aren't paying, you afford to be generous, right? I tried to get this poor woman to break a 20 and her tip jar was so lean she couldn't. I had said, "Heck, if you can scrape together 15, that will be fine." She starting looking through her cash, and after sorting through every dime she had, said "I'm sorry, all I have is 12." Twelve bucks for a night of making drinks? Not cool. I put down the 20 and said, "that will do." and took her 12. She looked at me like I'd lost my marbles, and I said, "I just needed it so I could tip you. This is fine." And I smiled and wished her a good night.

She was genuinely shocked, and very grateful, but you know what? The three drinks she mixed for my husband and I, plus the one for my friend, and considering we'd just been treated to an amazing meal of appetizers, steak, and desert, 8 bucks was coming off really, really cheap. It pissed me off so few people were gracious enough to show some appreciation for the workers that made it possible. Not cool at all.

Comment

• Quoth kibbles View Post
                          *EDIT - Here ya go
                          LOL!! Thanks Ree

Comment

• Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                            I was at a wedding, and I have to say, it was a georgeous wedding with a sumptuous meal and an open bar.

I don't care if you aren't actually paying for your drinks, your bartender is still working. In fact, if you aren't paying, you afford to be generous, right?
                            I had an open bar at my wedding, and I told the catering manager ahead of time that under NO circumstances were the bartenders supposed to put out tip jars. I didn't want my guests to feel obliged to pay for anything. I told them that my husband and I would leave a generous tip for the bar staff at the end of the night.

FOUR times throughout the course of the evening our best man had to tell those bartenders to put that damned tip jar away. I guess they didn't believe we'd leave them anything. After the third time, I was frankly wondering if they deserved to be tipped at all.

We did tip in the end, but we spoke to management about it afterwards. They blamed it on a communication breakdown. I gave them the benefit of the doubt....but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

/pointless story

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

• Quoth MadMike View Post

Now, hopefully what I'm about to reveal won't make any of the servers here hate me, as I've seen the error of my ways...

I used to be a crappy tipper. I figured that it wasn't my job to pay the servers, and that they made decent money already. Don't get me wrong, I'd tip, but usually only about 10%. My ex used to get on my case about that, but since she found fault with every single thing I did, how was I to know she was actually right that time? It wasn't until I came here and discovered the horrible truth about what servers really get paid that I changed my ways.
                              Since you have seen the error of your ways, and learned to be a decent tipper, you are forgiven. Go out and tip some more....
                              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

• Quoth Ree View Post
                                I don't care how bad the waitress was, I don't think it justifies something like that.
                                There's no way to remove the glass without making a mess. The water will go all over the table. To me, that's inexcusable and just plain mean.

We do not condone revenge here, and in my opinion, that is revenge.

Why give ideas to sucky customers who may come here to read?
                                Though I was surprised how many people on here were unfamiliar with this trick, I don't think it's really news to anyone that it can be done. I was made aware of it as a novelty/magic trick type thing in high school, some 8 years ago. But I do hope I'm not giving potential SC's ideas/ammo, as I'd hate for anyone on here to have to deal with this simply because someone thought it was funny.

I apologize, Ree and NightAngel, if you found this offensive. I'm simply being honest about something done once, that, IMO, was deserved. It was, quite honestly, the most horrific service I'd ever received, and the rest of the staff that we encountered (including bus boys and management) were really not any better, so I have no remorse. It was an overpriced theme restaurant that we were excited to go to on vacation, we were nothing but good customers, polite, not loud, not demanding, and we were treated with nothing but disdain, foul language, and a whole lot of attitude. I'd prefer if other people don't follow my lead, and I'm not suggesting it's a good idea, I just felt, in that one instance, that I wasn't doing anything that hadn't been earned by the staff.

In general, if I get bad service, I still leave a tip, though it may be on the small side, but I prefer to talk to management. If the management is dismissive or seems to not be taking my complaint seriously, I may try to contact someone above them, be it corporate or the owner. I'd rather fix the problem than further it by adding to server's bad attitude.

In my defense, I like to think I'm very fair, and often a very generous tipper. Service has to be seriously bad and very obviously the server's fault for me to stiff them or complain to mgmt. If I can tell the server is making his/her best effort, I will tip well. I tip my bartenders at least $1 for every 1-2 drinks I buy, and have been known to leave up to 50% tips at the end of the night if service is good.

And now I'm off to the "Praise" board to tell a story about a really great server and a really great tip.
                                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                                X