Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tattoos are not valid forms of ID (Long. Strong language.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoos are not valid forms of ID (Long. Strong language.)

So I'm at the service desk last night, not really doing much of anything, as it's more than a bit slow, and I'm just counting down the last 20 minutes till I can close down and go home. A young guy walks up to the counter, puts on a weird attempt at what he must have thought was a dashing smile, and asks me if I could use some change, because he has a pocket full of it and it's mostly quarters. I pop around the corner, where a cashier, the front end manager, and MOD are all chatting, and they said no, it's against company policy and he can use the Coinstar machine.

Me:

P: crazy punk

P: *blank stare of incomprehension* What . . . aww come on, you can't just do it for me? I don't like usin' that machine cause it like, eats an eight of the money. (As a matter of fact it does take 8 cents from every dollar for processing, which gets donated to charity)

FEM: It's store policy, we can't change that, but you can use the Coinstar.

P: Like what . . . like what the fuck! But you guys NEED change! That's fucking . . . fine. *jams change back into pocket* I'll buy a pack of cigarettes.

Me: *sweetly* Do you have ID?

P: . . . you're kidding, right? Fuck! No, I don't have it. Oh my god, look at me, I'm 22! 8-13-85, 8-13-85!

Me: Sorry, I can't sell them to you without ID, it's store policy and the law.

He kept on bitching and moaning until the FEM popped round the corner again and told him the same thing.

P: Fuck! Ok you . . . you guys are . . . . are fucking bullshit! This is fucking crazy, LOOK AT ME! I'm 22!

After which he kept repeating his DOB over and over again. And I still shook my head in answer to the smokes.

P: *waves card around* THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT! AHHH! You guys . . . uh, but I need to get some money back from this!

At that point he was waving it around so furiously that it flew out of his hand and behind my counter.

P: Oh, man, I didn't mean to do that, can you get my card?

I reached down and got it for him, but always kept my eyes on him, because frankly the convenience of that put red flags up for me. Anywho . . .

Me: Sorry, there's no way we can get money off your card unless you purchase something, but there's an ATM machine right over there.

P: (indecipherable at this point, but I'm pretty sure it was something along the lines of) Fuck fuck, fuckitty fuck fuck fuck!

One of our younger cashiers was at the old photo lab counter, getting some bags for his register, when Punk approaches him, arms outstretched . . .

P: Hey, you, LOOK AT ME, MAN! Look, see?! *points to one of his many tattoos* Do I look 22 to you?! 8-13-85, 8-13-85! I'm fucking 22, would YOU fucking card me?!

I commend this otherwise annoying little twat for his quick reply.

Cashier: Whoa, man, nice tats!

All said with a smile and mucho enthusiasm, and he never answered the age question.

Punk then starts to storm his way out of the store, still dropping F-bombs like it's going out of style (or perhaps that's one of the 20 words in his vocabulary besides "cigarettes", "want" and "shit") and on his way out, decides to stop at register 8 and harass one of the new hires with the same "Look at me, see my tattoo says "8-13--85!!!!" tirade. By this point, the MOD is walking right behind him and the only word I can catch from him is "harassment". From what I understand, the only thing that transpired is the guy kept pitching a fit outside and MOD pulled out his phone and threatened to call the police. Later, I understand from my mother, who was waiting in the parking lot, that 'some kid flew out of the store, got in a car and yelled at his friends to 'Go and get out of here as fast as they can'.

Gotta love idiots. Ah, well, it gave us a good laugh anyways. And truthfully, I'm do think he was old enough to buy the cigs, but aside from the company policy that we're to card anyone under 40, the opportunity was too good to pass up. He had already been an asshole about me not switching the change for him, so I felt it appropriate to repay him in kind. Act like an immature brat, and I will treat you like one.

The other lesson to be learned here: Just because you've had someone ink you with a random date that may or may not be your legal birthday, does not mean you can buy cigs at the grocery store
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I'm 22 and, according to some, look 16. On one of the many occasions I was carded I happended to turn my back a little to dig through my purse, making my tattoo of ample size visible.
    The man at the gas station counter apologized, said the ID wouldn't be necesary and handed me my cigarettes.
    I was a little , since I didn't know what made him change his mind, but once he told me it was my tattoo I LOLLED a bunch inside.

Comment

I'm 23 and most people think I'm somewhere between 17 and 20, leaning towards the younger. Heck, if I weren't me, I'd card me, if that makes sense

I told the FEM today that I only did that to screw with him since he copped such an attitude about the change, and she said she would have done the same thing. I've noticed management at this place has a "We take no shit and we don't care" kind of attitude Though they are also very nice to the good, reasonable customers as well. It's wonderful.

. . . but once he told me it was my tattoo . . .
      Because there's no way anyone under 18 can get one of those

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
        Because there's no way anyone under 18 can get one of those
        Not at my local shop or the one I get mine at. Even if mommy AND daddy are present it means nothing to them unless the individual getting the tattoo is 18 and can prove it.

Comment

Aren't policies usually if they look under 30, you card them? Where I work if I think you look too young, I'm gonna card you. Period. I don't understand how people can walk around without ID... I'd feel naked.

Comment

MAYBE he was 22 BUT since he was acting like he 2 then you treated him accordingly. You done good...lol.

Comment

I have actually had to use my tattoos as ID once. Didn't think I'd get away with it, but I do have alot of BIG tattoos that a minor culd not get away with.

I was going to this metal club that I always used to go to and I didn't think to bring my ID as I have never been asked before and we are in the UK....they never card. Anyway, I was asked by the bouncer guy and when he saw my tattoos he let me through. I was happy about that.

I can understand the frustration of the guy though, but in America you have to be 21 for everything, so I guess tattoos wouldn't work as well.

And he was acting like a baby. What an ass.
              "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

I used to work with a kid who had his first tattoo done when he was 13!!! By the time I worked with him he was a whopping 17 years old. Around here, no reputable shops will tattoo a minor under any circumstances, but when your daddy is a tattoo artist, it's not illegal.
                The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Anakah View Post
                  Aren't policies usually if they look under 30, you card them? Where I work if I think you look too young, I'm gonna card you. Period. I don't understand how people can walk around without ID... I'd feel naked.

Actually at my store, if they appear to be under 40 they need to be carded. But I don't think I've ever enjoyed denying a sale so much

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
                    P: Hey, you, LOOK AT ME, MAN! Look, see?! *points to one of his many tattoos* Do I look 22 to you?!
                    :snort: I work with a guy who got his first tattoos when he was 16.

It. Means. NOTHING.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Around here, from what I know, you can be 14, I think, maybe 16, but you need a signed form from your parents for the place to keep on file. And who's to say that it's not a fake tat? There's some really convincing temporary ones possible.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Broomjockey - Excelent point on the Temp/Hentai Tats, you could never know if the Tat is even real or not.

I've known folks who got tats under age, both with parents consent, and with "Home Jobs" simple crappy one color tats that look like hell but done by a friend.

The only 3 Tats I would take as ID would be Ozzy Osbornes knuckle Tat (Says Ozzy on his knuckles), Jessie James "Pay up Sucka" tat on the palm of his hand, and Paul Tuetle Sr.'s tats of his dogs (well that and the real Paul Sr. could probably kick the shit out of me

Good for you for carding and denying his whiney ass.
                        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth WHShit View Post
                          I can understand the frustration of the guy though, but in America you have to be 21 for everything, so I guess tattoos wouldn't work as well.
                          Except for voting....you can vote at 18.

As for the OP -
                          I don't care how old you say you are, I can only go on how old you look, dipshit! Hell, I'm 30....something, and I still get carded for alcohol!
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                            Broomjockey - Excelent point on the Temp/Hentai Tats, you could never know if the Tat is even real or not.
                            I hope you mean henna and not hentai.

Hentai -
                            In Japan "hentai" has a strong negative connotation, and is commonly used to mean "sexually perverted".
                            Henna -
                            Henna, Lawsonia inermis, produces a red-orange dye molecule, lawsone. This molecule has an affinity for bonding with protein, and thus has been used to dye skin, hair, fingernails, leather, silk and wool
                            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                              Erm...I think you mean Henna...
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hentai
                              click at your own risk...
                              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X