This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "die in a fire"

I don't know where to post this, or if I should post it at all, if this isn't the appropriate place, I apologize, I'm not trying to make an ass out of myself.

I just wanted to complain about usage of phrases like "die in a fire" or other lovely ways to wish death (or maiming)upon customers. I totally get that no one is actually hoping that someone should die in a fire, but it really does offend me. I don't know if it bothers anyone else, but I figured it shouldn't hurt to speak up.

I don't know how to make myself not sound like I'm being upset over nothing, so I won't even try. I just find it disgusting and wish that people would stop with the whole "die in a fire" (and others) thing. I'll get over it, of course.

Just, really don't like the whole "lets joke about horrible ways to die" thing.

~simply
    you are = you're. not "your".

I guess this is as good a place as any to post your concerns.

I'm not a big fan of the "die in a fire" comments, either, but I'm not sure they're covered under the site rules and posting guidelines.

My suggestion would be to report an offending post if it upsets you, and we can deal with it on a case by case basis.
    I can't promise the comments will be removed, but it's better to make your feelings known than to sit quietly by and remain upset.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I'll do that then.

Comment

I've rarely said it myself, and usually it's only because I'm so engulfed in anger at the time. I personally don't like the phrase, as there are better ways to express anger. First time I've heard someone say it offends them. Thanks for bringing it up, I might just think twice about it next time before I write it.

If anyone else has a problem with it please let us posters know. We won't know you have a problem with it unless you say something so please say something. After all I don't want to offend my fellow posters, I just want to vent my frustration.

Thanks for voicing your concern simplyanother. I'll be more mindful of my posts in the future.

Comment

We generally do try to take note of what current cultural trends are. I could see how and why someone who had lost loved ones in a fire would hate it. However, you need to bear in mind that we only have two or three completely verboten words and as long as other stuff isn't hugely overused, we accept that a reasonable amount of usage is fine - this is primarily a venting site.

If we get many reports about a particular phrase or word, then we'll take note, but I'm leery about putting too many restrictions onto the culture.

Rapscallion

Comment

I understand, still don't like the usage, but I do understand.

And honestly, it's not really, or not ONLY "fire" that bothers me, it's wishing horrific deaths upon folks committing relatively minor offenses. If someone were using it on someone who'd done some heinous thing, it probably wouldn't bother me as much, but when it's applied to people whose greatest offense is being stupid or a jackass, it bristles.

But, like I said, I do understand. And I will go back to simply closing the threads when I get to those posts. Or skipping them.

Oh, woe is me. hehe

(ETA: I imagine that it wouldn't count as "many" reports if they all came from me, huh?. )

Comment

Addendum to Raps' post: while we don't like to restrict phrases, we're not particularly fond of advocating violence, so while over the top stuff, where it's clearly not meant as actual action (like the woodchipper smiley), that's fine, that's just venting, but anything that seems really doable, or especially heinous, feel free to report it and we'll consider it.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
              X