Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know what else was happening an hour ago?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know what else was happening an hour ago?

Summer hasn't been that bad this year. Including today (as of July 21, 2019) we only had one major heatwave with plenty of rain. But just like last year we still get the last second shoppers looking for air conditioners and box fans.

Most people understand the concept of First Come, First Served. Others (like myself) ordered their magic wind boxes before we had a chance to broil in our own juices.

Today I had a family that wasn't super sucky but still seemed to think the world revolved around them. The shelves were bare, except for desk fans and the small fan towers. The customer insisted that the website said we had a larger fan tower in stock and that she checked "not even an hour ago."

That's cute. You know what else was happening an hour ago? It was approaching 90 degrees. We don't control what the website says and we sure don't get to decide who does and doesn't buy something in the span of that hour.
    Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

I would guess that air conditioners would be exempt from 'buy online, pick up in store' deals, especially during a heat wave.

Comment

I'm not a hundred percent sure how that works. I know that buying it online doesn't guarantee it will be on the shelf when the associate goes to grab it.

Comment

Nope. I wait until I get a text saying my order is complete and waiting for me. I live in the sticks, so calling and asking "Do you have X in stock?" means some industrious employees actually go and look and say "I have my hand on it right now," and some will check the inventory on the computer, which may or may not be accurate. Ordering online means someone actually puts it aside for me.

Online orders for the store where I do that are held for a week, usually. Can't imagine holding an air conditioner for a week since by Tuesday, our heat wave will be over. Our air conditioner never made it to the window last year.

Stupid cat is napping upstairs, where the temperature must be in the nineties, instead of down here with us.

Comment

Sounds like to me it's another classic case of "Failure to plan on your part . . ." (you guys can say the rest with me.)

Right now, we're roasting and been under a heat advisory for the last couple of days (just about the entire month of July we've had more days of at least 90 degree temps.)

And we suspected it was coming . . . and even though our home has Central AC, we have ductwork under the house that's needing replacing . . . and that affects the back side of the house (my room, my office and the laundry room.)

Since we're waiting on the owner to make repairs to that (and she's been back and forth between NC and NY caring for her Mom,) we went to our local Wallyworld the first of last month and bought a window AC unit to install in one of the windows in the office (that way I can stay cool in my corner of the house since the oscillating desk fan isn't quite getting it.)

Had no trouble getting one, as they had an entire pallet of them on display - not to mention a good price (paid $156 for a 5,000 BTU w/remote control) and called a handyman that we've known for years to come and get it set up in the window (cost us $60 but worth it, since it's nicely caulked in and not going anywhere.)

And yes, we're planning to replace a portable heater or two, but that will be around September and October (we'll get one at a time) and we'll be in good shape for winter.

The key here . . . planning ahead and fitting those purchases into the monthly expenditures.

Zero suck required.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I found myself in a similar situation years ago, when an extended heat wave / drought hit the area, and I had only one window unit. I had previously lived in an apartment that was a single floor, and the unit was powerful enough that the cool air reached the entire apartment as long as I left the bedroom doors open. But I had moved into another place that had two floors, and I discovered that it got pretty miserable in the bedrooms upstairs. So I decided to go out and pick up two units, one for each bedroom.

Of course, with the heat wave, everyone else had the same idea, and the first few stores I stopped at were completely sold old. I finally lucked at at Lowe's, where there was a whole pile of them on the floor, but they were a little more pricey than I had hoped. While I was standing there debating, I noticed that pile was quickly shrinking, and ended up breaking down and buying two of them.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Fortunately my new apartment is easy to keep cool with a box fan. And the beauty I'd paying for electricity is that if I needed an air conditioner, there's nothing in my lease that says I need permission for it.

I'd probably order online and have it shipped to my door though, as I walk everywhere.

Comment

Working...
              X