This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't want the GOOD part.

Guy needs new rear wiper arm, he snapped his off.
    Not the blade but the whole arm. eh it happens with plastic.

fight to get the VIN # of the car. Most dealer parts need this as in this case 1/2 though the production year the part changed.

Finally get it, I have it in stock.

He comes rushing in and look funny, in the 10 years that the car has been out Dodge figured out plastic is crap and made a nice all metal arm.

BUT NO- he wants the POS fra-gee-lee plastic one.
    Goes to AZ autoparts down the road. Really?

Almost as good as the woman who curb checked her new car so hard it bent most of the lower steering parts. (Lower ball, control arm, outer tie rod, and shock) Said I needed to give her a discount because it's new, but not bought from us. NO
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Almost as good as the woman who curb checked her new car so hard it bent most of the lower steering parts. (Lower ball, control arm, outer tie rod, and shock) Said I needed to give her a discount because it's new, but not bought from us. NO
    But, but, but, its a NEW car! That means its not all dirty and covered with oil and stuff. Surely that makes it easier to work on?

As to customer the first, if it was my 10-year old car, I would have wanted to replace all of my wiper arms with nice new metal instead of plastic if that had been an option.

Comment

I get so tired of explaining to customers that just because the part looks a little different or is a different color it still works the same.

Or when they don't tell you all the info. Guy comes in and buys a CV axle for a Cadillac. Comes back because it is the wrong part. He gets passed to me, the "fixer", come to find out the the car is a hearse which means you have to pick the "cab and chassis" option which guess what, comes with heavy duty suspension and beefier axles.

Comment

I'm GLAD they don't make the OEM clutch plate for one of my cars anymore... it's been superseded by a sturdier one that won't break as fast because the original one had a large rubber donut around the output shaft

("Superior German Engieneering" patted itself on the back with that one, as it was quieter and had less vibration than a metal one. But, apparently, they didn't consider how well a clutch with a rubber donut center would fare once frictional-heat-induced dry-rot set in.... )

The "new" lowtech kind uses a metal flange, like every other gosh-damned clutch in the world and will last until the rest of the vehicle rusts away instead of ripping out somewhere around the 100-120K mile mark.
        Last edited by Argabarga; 07-28-2019, 10:52 PM.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post

BUT NO- he wants the POS fra-gee-lee plastic one.
          Must be Italian.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Must be Italian.
            *snort*

That part is FRA-GI-LEEEEE;
            Is piece of SHI-IIIIIT!
            Don't buy it, cheapskate-
            Oh, shit, you just did.

Now you put it O-OOON,
            Flies off in TRAN-SIT!
            To me listen, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
            You-u-u just blame me.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              ...That part is FRA-GI-LEEEEE;....
              Is it over? Because I think it just sang.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Must be Italian.
                Well, Dodge is now part of FIAT.
                Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth Dave in MD View Post
                  I get so tired of explaining to customers that just because the part looks a little different or is a different color it still works the same.

Or when they don't tell you all the info. Guy comes in and buys a CV axle for a Cadillac. Comes back because it is the wrong part. He gets passed to me, the "fixer", come to find out the the car is a hearse which means you have to pick the "cab and chassis" option which guess what, comes with heavy duty suspension and beefier axles.
                  Oh yes, we used to get those customers at the garage all the time. The boss doesn't charge for diagnostics (something he needs to change), so a guy comes in, the car is looked over, and the mechanic tells him what's wrong. Guy decides to take his car home, unfixed. Then he calls a few days later. 'That didn't fix the problem, can I bring it back to see what it is now?'
                  Uh, that would be a NO.
                  I've told the boss that he should charge $50 for diagnostics, and if they get the work done here, that $50 will come off their bill.

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                    Oh yes, we used to get those customers at the garage all the time. The boss doesn't charge for diagnostics (something he needs to change), so a guy comes in, the car is looked over, and the mechanic tells him what's wrong. Guy decides to take his car home, unfixed. Then he calls a few days later. 'That didn't fix the problem, can I bring it back to see what it is now?'
                    Uh, that would be a NO.
                    I've told the boss that he should charge $50 for diagnostics, and if they get the work done here, that $50 will come off their bill.
                    This is the only sensible approach, but charge the actual labor for doing the diag (if more than $50). The appliance guys I used do this and it works great as far as I can see.
                    Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I work at a auto parts store and I am constantly amazed at the number of people that come in and want me to diagnose their car.
                      I'll sell them any part they want but I am not going to tell them what part they need based on some vague description of the problem.

Comment

I work at a auto parts store and I am constantly amazed
                        For 16 years I worked in a store that sold some auto parts and lots of industrial parts. I was not a mechanic nor was I an engineer, but I knew heaps more than a lot of mechanics and engineers. Not all of them, mind. There were some who really knew what they were doing.

However the general unwashed masses that were trying to fix their car/trailer/boat on a weekend and only had a small idea of what they were doing....

The guys who were not engineers and were trying to fix some mechanical concoction that they had put together themselves were the worst of the lot. They would bring in half a part, and expect me to sell them a whole new one when they couldn't answer any questions. You would think I was the police when I started asked them questions.

"What's the shaft size this came off?"
                        "Donno."
                        "What sort of a housing was this in?"
                        "Donno"
                        "What is this off?"
                        "Donno nuffink"
                        "This might fit." (It might not either)

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                          Uh, that would be a NO.
                          What like every other shop in the world? Mech must be flat time or they tell the owner to pack sand.

I work at a auto parts store and I am constantly amazed at the number of people that come in and want me to diagnose their car.
                          I'll sell them any part they want but I am not going to tell them what part they need based on some vague description of the problem.
                          Mgr at A-z auto parts would not let me give these to the customer and say good luck-
                          AkaiKitsune
                          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                            FIAT.
                            Fix It Again, Tony.
                            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                              Fix It Again, Tony.
                              Funny Old Rebuild Dodge

Fix Or Repair Daily

Found On Road Dead.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X