This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I say but "Cleanup, 7th floor!"

Wow....I haven't seen a mess this bad in a long time....since my supermarket days....

I'm at [hospital site] today and had to deliver a toner catridge to the 7th floor Central nurses' station. I went to 1st Floor West first because I'd left my phone there, then hopped in the west elevators, went up to the 7th floor, and started walking back to Central.

About halfway between the West and Central wings I heard a loud WHUMP and saw a whole shitload of cans of ginger ale go skittering across the floor from the central freight elevators.....followed by a biblical flood of orange and cranberry juice.

I hurried over and saw that this was not one of the smaller drink carts that they push around the inpatient floors, but a HUGE six-foot tall cart packed to the gills with flats of soda cans, cartons of juice, and cases of individual coffee creamers and margarines. A girl from the cafeteria had been bringing it up to restock the fridges up there, and a wheel got caught in the gap betwen the floor and the elevator car and over it went.

Fortunately, no one was injured in the accident but god almighty what a mess!

She stood there absolutely mortified, so stunned that she didn't even know what to do at first. I put the toner down and helped her pull the overturned cart the rest of the way off the elevator, then moved most of the soda cans so people could get by. After promising I'd be right back to help, I sprinted over to the 7 Central nurses' station, dropped off the toner, and had them call housekeeping to report the mess.

I then spent the next 10 minutes helping her pick up and dispose of the broken cartons of juice and wet margarines and coffee creamers. Within five minutes two guys from housekeeping arrived on the elevator with an electric floor cleaning machine and quickly cleaned up the worst of the spill. Then betwene the four of us we got the drink cart picked up and everything off the floor. At that point she had left to go get another cart, as even with a large number of drinks broken and now thrown away it was STILL overloaded (which no doubt was a major contributing factor in the accident), so since there was niothign left for me to do I went to wash up and go back to copy center.

I sincerely hope that poor girl didn't get in trouble for this, but I don't imagine she will, since you know, shit happens.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Wow. Just the imagery make me feel bad for her. Glad everyone was ok, and kudos to you for lending a hand - bet she's really appreciative.

and gah! Bet it was STICKY!

Comment

How long can you tread waterjuice?
      [/Noah]
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And me without mah booze....

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
          and kudos to you for lending a hand - bet she's really appreciative.
          Was she cute? Ask her out, Dave.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Ok I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H17mWrB9RbY

A truly spectacular shelf collapse in a large liquor warehouse store. A surfboard would have come in handy
            "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

It got me thinking of the Boston Molasses flood.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Draper, it was pretty much like that except on a much smaller scale, and didn't involve any glass containers, thank God.
                "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  had to deliver a toner cartridge
                  Nice use of red herring. I've seen toner cartridge accidents, and they're... bad.
                  Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
                    Ok I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H17mWrB9RbY

A truly spectacular shelf collapse in a large liquor warehouse store. A surfboard would have come in handy
                    Holy moley, all that liquid, all that broken glass, I would hate to be the one to have to clean it up...!
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                      Was she cute? Ask her out, Dave.
                      It actually did occur to me to try and get her number but before I even had a chance one of the housekeeping guys suggested she get a second cart, and she fled the scene. Never saw her again. And she was cute...

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                        It actually did occur to me to try and get her number but before I even had a chance one of the housekeeping guys suggested she get a second cart, and she fled the scene. Never saw her again. And she was cute...
                        Cute, but really damn embarrassed. Of course she booked it out of there. But Dave, Dave my man, don't give up so easily. Surely you are able to figure out the schedule for restocking drinks in that building and then come up with reasons to be there at the general time it might happen. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, dude! If you don't try, you'll never know what might have been. And the accident can become a funny story of 'how we met'.
                        What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                        X