This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay!

So I had an interview with a tutoring agency on Thursday. Very nervous. Got through it OK though.
    Afterwards, I think I had the reception ladies going when I asked them to walk down the stairs instead of taking the lift (30-floor building and I panicked taking the lift UP). My legs are still aching from it.

Well today I received the email.

"we would like to inform you that you have been successful"

So at this stage, I may only get 1 or 2 clients, but at least I am WORKING now doing what I love. Go me!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I wouldn't be surprised if the thing that put them in an impressed and hiring frame of mind was the stairs-down-going.

Did they do as you asked?
    Why do they make Superglue but not Batglue?

Comment

Quoth Zoom View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised if the thing that put them in an impressed and hiring frame of mind was the stairs-down-going.

Did they do as you asked?
      Oh har har. No, I went down the stairs, not them.

I probably won't get many clients this time of year since we're moving into Term 4. Because of my special needs background, I'm marketing myself as someone who can teach children with learning difficulties as well (which I think clinched it).

The pay is fairly good though: about $23 an hour (which is what uni students are paid, professional teachers are paid double/triple that and "others" i.e. not uni students are paid somewhere in between) and the sessions fit around my schedule.

Comment

Congratulations!

I'm so pleased for you
        Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Yay! Happy for you.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Woohoo. I will now do the dance of joy!!

Congrats!
            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

thanks. I found out a little bit more as well.

Basically I'm being subcontracted out by the agency. I am my own boss otherwise, I set my hours and what resources I choose to use or not use. I can also refuse to take on a client for non discriminatory reasons and the company will back me up for it. I can also set my own guidelines when I'm working with clients. Everything is done by mutual agreement.

Just gotta wait for the paperwork to finish and I'm in!

ETA: Paperwork is now in. Just gotta wait for my first client!
              Last edited by fireheart; 10-11-2012, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Remember that as a sub-contractor, you need to keep your own withholding. Set aside part of every paycheck so that when tax time rolls around, you don't have to worry about getting hit with a huge bill.

At least, that's how it works in California.

Congrats!

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  Remember that as a sub-contractor, you need to keep your own withholding. Set aside part of every paycheck so that when tax time rolls around, you don't have to worry about getting hit with a huge bill.

At least, that's how it works in California.

Congrats!

^-.-^
                  Actually, the agency does the tax stuff, since tax laws are pretty much identical across Australia. So when I get paid, they'll take the tax out. My deductions will pretty much consist of any resources and if I have to travel between multiple clients. At this point, I'm setting the rule that any resource over the amount of $10 is going into the "deductions" pile.

My dad is also a subcontractor,so I'm familiar with most of that stuff, except that unlike me, mum handles all the billing for my dad. Prior to about February this year, I would've needed to have gotten a business number, but because the agency set it up so I'm considered to be a "casual worker", I don't need to do all the extra paperwork which you've mentioned.

I still need to check with the agency whether it'll be a conflict of interest if I end up having some of my clients as my students for my teaching block.

Comment

It's actually worth having an ABN in any case. They are free, can be applied for by an individual whether or not you have a business, do not expire, and if you ever do need one, you will already have it.
                    "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                    X