This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody gets my shift

Ugh. I've been working the same shift for 2 years. Yes. It's rough. Yes it's been proven to take years off your life. The worst is NOBODY (not even my wife) can keep up.

Example:

I worked Wednesday night. So I'm working tonight as well.

Then Friday Saturday Sunday off.

Monday Tuesday day shift.

Wednesday Thursday off.

Friday Saturday Sunday nights.

And so on and so forth. Either I work only wed/thurs or those are the only days off. And after days off I switch shifts.

Yet all work or interruptions the wife schedules land when I'm trying to sleep for night shift. I love getting off at 5 am then woken up at 9. Grr
    Last edited by Pimento; 11-02-2012, 04:49 AM.

It sounds like mine, but it's not the same every week. This week I have 4 10:30am-7pm shifts, and next week it's all over the place. At least I get 2 days off in a row. That usually doesn't happen. I'm used to this, but I'm never tired when I need to be.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Yeah. All my shifts are 5-5. The am/pm switch though. It's not bad. Other than wrapping people's heads around it

Comment

When I worked graveyard I found that it only took a few deathglares to get the point across that I am not to be disturbed. Me sleeping in until 3pm is not me being lazy or useless.

Though it also might help that despite me appearing to be the nice guy, I do have an extreme temper and if provoked, I can unleash a furious rage that will shock and horrify people used to my calm demeanor. Allowing them a glimpse of that anger was enough to frighten them into not disturbing me in the middle of my sleep cycle when I was on graveyard shifts.

Mental illnesses can be useful sometimes, if one has sufficient willpower to suppress the instability or harness it for productive uses. But mostly they suck.

Comment

Oh. There's no problem with me getting angry. The kicker is that nobody seems to be able to grasp it.

Add in 2 kids under 10 and 2 new puppies (just 8 weeks) who seem to need to glom on me (even though my wife is with them most of the time, my voice on the phone is enough to wake them from a deep sleep and then they go to my pillow and cry lol) sleep during the day has been increasingly difficult to get. I can't wait till I finish my basement and get a nice cold dark room downstairs to sleep in

Comment

Sigh. My mom never understood night shift either. I worked it for 9-months straight once, got off at 9am, went to bed, and she'd wake me at noon yelling "Are you going to sleep ALL day!?" Yes, yes I am!
            "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I worked the same shift as the OP for 3 years, on midnights. On the other hand, I'm single and more than happy to work the nights anyway. I can see where it would be tough having a family life.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I was lucky in that my mom works night shift too, so my family didn't need to adjust at all to my sleep schedule.
                It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doing it! -- Julio Scoundrel, Order of the Stick

Comment

I did 10pm-6am for years (Tuesday &Wednesday off), with an hour commute added in. I also had a baby during that time so add in feedings (nursed) and I learned to make do. Years ago when I was in school I had classes 6-10pm Tuesday/Thursday, ambulance rides 5p-5a Wednesday, work during days and some nights (sports/entertainment arena) and I routinely went 24+ hours between sleep. My husband was a firefighter in Alaska and they would have events during the day sometimes but for the most part they understood I NEEDED to sleep.

I got luck with my husband being a night owl at least, my friends on the other hand...lol
                  Last edited by kpzra; 11-02-2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I've worked swing, and I've worked graveyard, but since I'm a night person, it wasn't that bad.

But, switching shifts all the time like OP would probably kill me.
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I actually prefer nights lol.

My father in law sold us this house with the understanding that he would finish the basement that he tore apart (after seeing the work in re doing most of it behind him anyways)

But tell him I need to sleep for nights...he shows up banging around at 8am. 3 hours after my shift. Same with days. He'll be here till 10-11 at night when I need to wake up at 3am

Comment

Working...
                      X