This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I or shouldn't I

So I was browsing my local C list for jobs, and there was a job opening in a new store just being built. Ooh! I love new stores. Shiny everythings. So I send my resume and they contact me for an interview. Great! We arrange a time and day to meet, and it's all set.
    So I go to the interview and they ask me one question (why do I want to work there). I answer honestly, and the interviewers hem and haw, and finally admit there is no jobs any more.
    HUH?!?! So why they did put out an ad?!?!? Shrug. Why did they contact me?!?! Shrug. Why did they make me waste my time?!?!
    I was peeved but figured everyone wants to work there and they've been hiring for a while. Still rude though. See if I care.
    But they next day I'm on c list again, and their ad is not taken down! And it's been a week now and their ad is still there. Should I flag it. Normally I don't, but I don't want someone else to get their hopes up and time wasted. Am I being unreasonable here?
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Hmmm....sounds more like they decided they didn't like your honest answer, so the jobs mysteriously disappeared.

And frankly, I hate the question "Why do you want to work here?" I know the interviewer wants you to say that their company is awesome, you know you can help leverage their revenue or some other stupid buzzword-laden phrase, but we all know the real answer is, "Because I need a job and this looks like the lowest level of suck I can find right now!"
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Honestly, I'd flag it. If they were telling you the truth, the job listing is BS. If they were lying to you because they didn't like your answer, they are lying lyers who lie and you will help other people not waste their time.

Comment

I gotta ask...what was your honest answer? If I want to switch jobs bad enough I don't give my absolutely honest answer - I tailor it to the position/company I'm applying for.

Comment

Some companies -- especially larger ones -- require that their offices/locations advertise many openings, whether they intend to fill them from the outside or not, for various reasons (said reasons, and speculation upon them, belong on Fratching). It's kinda like how, back at GameStore, they made us keep the "The Wii has arrived!" boxes and signs out, knowing damn well that we would not have any non-reserved units to sell for several MONTHS after launch.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

For my company, their reasoning is that we should always be recruiting even if there are no openings at my store. You never know if you're going to find that diamond in the rough

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
              For my company, their reasoning is that we should always be recruiting even if there are no openings at my store. You never know if you're going to find that diamond in the rough
              Or, more likely, that diamond willing to work for cubic-zirconia pay and in underground coal mine conditions.

Labor is a resource, and few employers will miss a chance to buy some at less than market value.

Comment

That and have a fresh body lined up after a worker gets fed up and quits without notice...

Comment

Send them a BILL for your time. Pad it. Charge travel and prep time. When they do not respond, SUE THEM.
                  You hold power over me and abuse it. I do not like it, and say so. Suddenly I am a problem.. FIND. A. MIRROR!

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
                    I gotta ask...what was your honest answer? If I want to switch jobs bad enough I don't give my absolutely honest answer - I tailor it to the position/company I'm applying for.
                    I say something like "because this company seems like a great company to work for" which, back when I use to work in HR as an interviewer, was one of the *accepted* answers for that question. Though I usually I get an eyeroll or a stare in response. I guess they heard it so many times before, but I take it as disagreement . For this one, I got a nod.
                    But anyway I really hate it when interviewers make it so difficult to get a low paying job and they LIE. Maybe it's because it's thru C list, which has a reputation for weirdos, but no other job site calls or emails me back so...
                    Jeez it's so hard to get a job where customers are ready to fricasse you!
                    I decided not to flag it but I plan to go to the store when it opens and give them a nasty glare if I see them! I dislike liars!
                    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Working...
                    X