X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• those who sleep with ur Pet...

How do you do it?
    My kitty comes in the middle of the night and sleeps in my bed, however, he plants himself in the middle of it where I am. I think this is because he doesn't like to sleep on the edge like normal because he once did and forgot and lost his balance and fell off. Now he plants himself right in the MIDDLE! I like to move around in my bed and I'm afraid I'll roll on him and he'll swipe me. (Almost happened once). So how do you get ur pet to sleep on the edge? I have put him there and he just liquefies and slithers back to the middle.
    Oh yeah I have closed my door to him but he scratches it and meows to be let in.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Before I moved out on my own, my family had a cat. It would come into my bedroom, jump on my bed, and curl up in the crook of my knees (I'm a side sleeper, mostly). Unfortunately, I toss and turn while I sleep (alternate sides).

I tried to get kitty to sleep up by my chest, but he wasn't having it. So he would eventually either leave my bedroom or find another spot on the bed to sleep.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I've got a cat and a dog that like to snuggle up to me while I'm sleeping, usually one on each side. I've developed this thing over the years where I kind of wake up just a little bit if I try to move and encounter fur, and usually move the furball by lifting up the covers where they are, move, and set them back down. Pretty much every cat I've had has learned to also stay mostly asleep for this maneuver, as well. The dog is a bit too big for that to work with, so she gets shoved out of the way (as gently as I can manage), then she just shifts to snuggle back in once I stop moving. Never had a cat take a swipe at me while in bed, even when I squish them. Happens sometimes, especially with Mister Kitteh. He just squirms out and finds a new spot to settle back in. The moving lump usually wakes me just enough to shift off him.

The one that drives me crazy is when one of the animals decides they want attention NAOW. Bittle will meow and paw at me til I wake up and pet her. Sugar (the dog) snuffles my face (which usually gets her batted and growled at).

If your bed is long enough that you can put one pillow near the head of the bed, and another pillow just below that for you to use without your feet hanging off the end of the bed, you might be able to convince the cat to curl up on the upper pillow.
      Last edited by Kittish; 02-15-2018, 08:30 PM.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I don't really have any suggestions. I have two cats who usually sleep in the bed with me most of the night. They mostly tolerate each others' presence. Pixxy, an older female, will often demand to get under the covers with me as I'm settling into bed. Once she gets annoyed or bored she wanders off, usually curling up on some other part of the bed. Fizzgig, a younger male, likes to nurse on my skin. If I'd let him, he'd nurse on my neck, but I can usually get him to nurse on my wrist or forearm instead. If it starts to hurt, I'll either toss him off the bed or hide my arms under the covers. Sometimes Pixxy will be under the covers while Fizzgig is nursing on my arm. She'll get jealous and growl at him. He'll ignore it until she chases him away. Then I have no one to snuggle with.

At some point in the early morning, Fizzgig will start making noise to wake me up. I have to chase him out of the bedroom and shut the door so I can go back to sleep. So far, he hasn't figured out that he could wake me up by meowing outside the door.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

I only have the one cat now and she just moves whenever I do, although she prefers to sleep on my hip or sort of sprawled across me in some way. When I still had two cats one would sleep on my feet and the other would curl up behind my knees, and whenever I would move they'd meow at me but settle right back into similar positions.

Comment

I wish I could get my cat to come in and cuddle at night - I've tried believe me, but she is too busy trying to get into the closet, pick at everything..she is a hard case LOL!

Comment

Does your cat have anything he loves sleeping on? My cat will sleep on any fleece. He love blankets so much. So I have a small throw blanket on the bottom 1/3 of the bed. He often sleeps down there. But he still will sleep up by chest sometimes. You can't stop him, lol.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

We have four cats, and it's pretty much a revolving door for which one is on the bed with us.
                They each have their own spots: Pillow on the headboard, pillow in the middle of the bed, at my feet, and on Mrs. Crossbow's hip. With a king size bed, we have the room for them.
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I'm a very bad creature... had a flashback to an old cartoon where a very large person is peering around saying, "Has anybody seen my dear little Floofie?"

... and the purse pooper is wedgied in their asscrack ...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Thankfully we don't have cats but we have a herd of dogs. My youngest daughter lets her Min-Pin sleep with her (providing it's not have yet another gas attack.) The rest have their own beds on the floor. Our female Mastiff (Zipper) has a bed in the corner of our bedroom. The closest we have to critters in our bed is our youngest son and grandkids.
                    Last night it was on the warm side here (68F at 3am) and even with the windows up it was hot in the house. Around midnight I was sitting in my rocker reading when my oldest grand-daughter (Pepper) came out of the nursery dripping in sweat. My wife had dressed her and her siblings in flannel pjs and didn't raise the window in their room. Our room was much cooler so I sent her to our room to sleep in the bed with grand-mommy and I went and got Frankie and Cherry and took them to our room. I woke up this morning to find Frankie sleeping with Zipper in her bed.
                    The other dogs are scattered out around the house. Our grey hound (Warp) sleeps in crate, he seems to prefer that.
                    Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

My cat Maggie sleeps on top of me. Sometimes on top of the blanket, sometimes she goes under the blanket and then crawls on top of me. If I sleep on my side, she'll go under the blanket and plop right next to my stomach. I usually wake up on my back with her on top of me again.

I like the pillow or fleece suggestion. Cats LOVE fleece. You could try buying a small baby blanket made of fleece (check your local dollar store or thrift stores) and see if your cat likes lying on that. If he likes that, you can try putting the blanket at the end of the bed and see if he likes sleeping there, or try putting the blanket on a chair or the sofa instead. He may decide he'd rather sleep on "his" blanket than yours
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Just don't try it with a rabbit. No bladder control....

Comment

Just last night my cat decided that my face would make a *wonderful* place to sleep. No matter how many times I would move her she'd go right back. She finally got the idea once I rolled over onto my side, but then she perched on my shoulder and decided to sleep with her nose in my ear.

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                            Fizzgig, a younger male, likes to nurse on my skin. If I'd let him, he'd nurse on my neck, but I can usually get him to nurse on my wrist or forearm instead. If it starts to hurt, I'll either toss him off the bed or hide my arms under the covers. Sometimes Pixxy will be under the covers while Fizzgig is nursing on my arm.
                            Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by nursing? Kneading? Suckling? Like he sucks on your arm? If so, that doesn't seem very pleasant. One cat licked my arm over and over and it hurt.
                            Also, I can't have any kitty on top of my chest, he's fat and having a heavy thing press down on me while trying to sleep is no good.
                            I will try the blanket thing though. He does like fleece. Lately he's been sleeping on the edge like he should, I guess he doesn't like to be rolled flat LOL.
                            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
                              Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by nursing? Kneading? Suckling?
                              "Nursing" in this context is generally a synonym for "kneading". (AKA "making muffins", "making dough", and other things.) Some cats will lick you as they knead you. It's kinda weird...
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X