This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seshat : Since ye asked:

Pork is known for harboring trichonella, and chicken, salmonella -- in both cases, while it is not exactly common, it's more likely than beef to contain dangerous parasites that can make you sick. Proper cooking will, generally speaking, kill off these parasites. Beef can still contain dangerous critters, it's just that it is less likely to contain the really nasty ones such as salmonella. In other words: It's not that undercooked beef is "safe to eat" so much as it is "safER to eat" than undercooked pork, poultry, fish, or lamb.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

NotAlwaysRight, next time you order eggs, try ordering them over easy. That's how I order mine, as I understand it, over easy is where the yolks are kind of...jellified is the only word I can think of, not gooey but not completely hard either
      "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Fried egg varieties with pix -- the ones you may want are down around #5 and beyond

http://www.breakfastwithnick.com/201...o-cook-an-egg/
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          For some reason that I've never researched, poultry must be cooked through.
          Thanks to intensive farming methods the vast majority (in the UK, at least) of poultry are infected with Salmonella. To kill it meat has to be cooked through.

This is also why pregnant women and anyone with a compromised immune system is told to only eat eggs if they're cooked through and to avoid mayonnaise-based products (mayo is made out of raw eggs).
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

What I order at restaurants is sometimes different from what I make at home. At home, I like runny yolk, but I prefer my whites cooked. I can do this without the over easy. But at restaurants, it's always over easy. For some reason, doing similar to my way, they always leave the whites runny. Ewww.

My steak is always medium rare at home, but at restaurants, it's likely to be medium, because for some reason, medium rare tends to be rare and medium tends to be medium rare. Of course, I run the risk of medium being more well done, but hey, I can handle that.

Burgers are the only thing that is the same. They have got to be well done. If there is a hint of pink, it gets sent back for further cooking. I don't care if they say it's "Well done," pink means it's not done well. I have refused to eat burgers that aren't well done and demanded refunds when they failed to correct the issue. It only took one case of very mild (I got lucky, some of my family didn't) food poisoning to teach me to respect meat that's been ground up and man-handled like burgers are.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
              What I order at restaurants is sometimes different from what I make at home. At home, I like runny yolk, but I prefer my whites cooked. I can do this without the over easy. But at restaurants, it's always over easy. For some reason, doing similar to my way, they always leave the whites runny. Ewww.
              I, too love a liquid egg yolk, but can't stand runny egg whites. I have had some success recently with ordering my eggs cooked "Medium". Specifically, "Basted, medium", where the egg is covered after adding water to steam the top side while the bottom fries. Sometimes the yolk is gelled or solid around the edges, but I can live with that in order to avoid whites that are only solid on the surface.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                (mayo is made out of raw eggs).
                Over here, store bought mayo is made with pasteurized eggs, so it's not as iffy.

Yeah, I need to have my eggs cooked. Nothing runny, or gooey. It's one of the few things which I can't deal with, (texture issues, we've had this discussion before I think) I try not to even watch people eating runny eggs. Over hard should be completely cooked, but I think restaurants are in such a hurry they take it off the grill too soon.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  Yeah, I need to have my eggs cooked. Nothing runny, or gooey. It's one of the few things which I can't deal with, (texture issues, we've had this discussion before I think) I try not to even watch people eating runny eggs. Over hard should be completely cooked, but I think restaurants are in such a hurry they take it off the grill too soon.
                  You and me both. I like my fried eggs over hard too, but I don't want to take chances with the restaurants taking them off the pan when they're still gooey, so I just jump straight to scrambled.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                  - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    Seshat : Since ye asked:

Pork is known for harboring trichonella
                    Emphasis mine. While this was true at one point, it no longer is. The parasites were largely a result of hogs being fed kitchen scraps. Now that commercial farming has squeaky clean hog feed, the parasites are no longer much concern. Trichonella dies at 140, which is the basic doneness for pork.

It is safe to treat pork chops, steaks and roasts as you would beef. Mid rare pork is not going to ruin your day like mid rare chicken would, but I still wouldn't recommend it. It's rubbery. RARE pork MIGHT ruin your day, but that also holds true with rare beef, which is served below the USDA's recommendation for safe beef. It is a calculated risk, just like eating eggs with runny yolks, that will be a reasonable amount of risk for most people. Those with compromised immune systems must take more care.

Here is a link to the different temps that are safe for meat cookery. note that the time held at the temperature is relevant to its safety. It is tr

http://elearning.servsafe.com/Conten...quirements.pdf

As far as the doneness of beef steaks, here is the (paraphrased) chart from my text.

Bleu: Raw, cool center. Almost no resistance when poked. 115-120F
                    Rare: Large, deep red center. Spongy, slight resistance. 125-130F
                    Mid Rare: Bright red center. Some resistance, slightly springy. 130-140F
                    Medium: Rosy pink to red center. Slightly firm, springy. 140-150F
                    Mid Well: Very little pink at the center,almost brown throughout. Firm, springy. 155-165F
                    Well: No red. Quite firm, springs back quickly. Not recommended. (what the book says)
                    My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                      Thanks to intensive farming methods the vast majority (in the UK, at least) of poultry are infected with Salmonella. To kill it meat has to be cooked through.

This is also why pregnant women and anyone with a compromised immune system is told to only eat eggs if they're cooked through and to avoid mayonnaise-based products (mayo is made out of raw eggs).
                      One thing to remember, though, is that even the very best free range, pastured poultry will have salmonella. It lives in their digestive track and the butchering will always spread a bit, you can't avoid it. After that, any poor handling can make it grow exponentially. Chicken really always has to be cooked through... duck doesn't though, not if it's the breasts anyway.

Most commercial mayo is pasteurized... but then mixed with crappy soybean oil or canola. I make my own using raw eggs and I've never had a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X