This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw "The Last Jedi" today!

Pretty good! I liked it! Surprised with a few things, and it left me with a few other questions, and things I didn't know, but make sense.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Saw it with my son today. I enjoyed it well enough though I miss the slightly-less-actiony, less spectacular effects of the original. There was a part I thought was pointless but after the last scene my son and I turned to each other and simultaneously said, "Did you notice that?!"

Also, PORGS.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I loved the bit with Chewy and the Porgs by the campfire

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
        but after the last scene my son and I turned to each other and simultaneously said, "Did you notice that?!"
        I noticed that too. I know exactly which scene you're talking about.

Comment

I loved the movie so much.

It seems like a paradigm shift for the Force. It takes everything we thought we knew about it and puts a new perspective on it. Particularly that scene at the end you refer to.

I like that nobody is perfectly good or evil (Snoke may be the exception). Everybody has flaws. Even Kylo Ren has positive qualities.

I loved Rose Tico. She reminds Finn (and us) why the Rebellion is needed.

I'll stop there for fear of getting into spoilers.
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

I liked it, too, in spite of some Facebook acquaintances getting into a huffy "It was terrible, how could you like it?!" snarl about it.

I thought some bold decisions were made, story-wise, and I liked the way the "balance" was addressed.

Cinematography was brilliant. My favorite shot of the movie is the one involving Snoke's ship. You know the shot I'm talking about.

When I started seeing the porgs showing up in the adverts, I was prepared to hate them on principle. Then I saw them in the movie and I was like, "Goddammit, I want one."
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
              I liked it, too, in spite of some Facebook acquaintances getting into a huffy "It was terrible, how could you like it?!" snarl about it.
              There's a guy I work with who is a BIG Star Wars fan. His cube is decorated with all sorts of Star Wars stuff. He said he really liked the movie, except for one scene, which he said was the worst of the whole movie.

Cinematography was brilliant. My favorite shot of the movie is the one involving Snoke's ship. You know the shot I'm talking about.
              Yeah, I thought that one was pretty cool, too.

When I started seeing the porgs showing up in the adverts, I was prepared to hate them on principle. Then I saw them in the movie and I was like, "Goddammit, I want one."
              I'm sure my wife has seen the porgs in commercials, but since she hasn't seen the movie yet, I haven't asked her what she thought of them. They look like a mix of something like a gerbil and a penguin.

Comment

My own feelings:
                - It was too long. I am not sure what could have been cut, but it was rather more than two hours, which I feel is too long for most movies.
                - The various twists were effective, but a bit difficult to digest. They don't fit the usual form of the SW stories, which is both disappointing and really cool.
                - I hate hate hate HATE when the writers pull up a "super duper move" from nowhere that is uber-powerful and cannot be countered, etc. etc. etc. (See the "Picard Maneuver" in ST:TNG for an example.)
                - I got distracted by trying to place the actress who played the 2nd-in-command of the rebels. I finally figured it out, but it took me out of the story for some time.
                - I really don't know how they are going to deal with how some real-life events will affect the in-movie events.
                - It was still a ton of fun and very enjoyable to watch.
                “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Finally saw it last night. It was worthy.

Yes, PORGSSSSESSSS! We wants it, yessss!
                  They don't fit the usual form of the SW stories, which is both disappointing and really cool.
                  It's my understanding that this direction was taken after people complained that the prior one was essentially a reboot of A New Hope Naturally, this has many a fan up in arms. Sometimes, ya can't win for losing. Still better than ep1-3.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Crossposting my thoughts from another board, 'cause discussions are different in different places!

So, finally got to see TLJ - all in all, an enjoyable, if rather distinctly flawed movie for me; and more specifically flawed than TFA was. Despite the upcoming paragraph, I did enjoy it, and certainly it was worth seeing on the big screen.

It's far easier to talk about the specific things I tripped over rather than the general 'lots of stuff' I liked. Some of the humor fell flat, some of the stuff that wasn't intended to be funny was, but the most damning thing about the movie is, IMO, TvTropes' old favorite: Poor Communication Kills. Granted, the Star Wars 'verse runs on the stuff sometimes - it was certainly responsible for some of the dumber bits of the old EU - but TLJ kinda takes a cake it didn't want to. It's unfortunate that my brain latched onto it so strongly, but: if someone - Leia, purple-haired admiral lady, literally anyone had told Poe about the whole plan with jumping ship on the stealth transports and using the cruiser as a decoy, three-fourths of the movie wouldn't have happened. I'm not a writer, I don't know what I would have replaced it with, but...yeah. I won't say it killed the movie for me, but that more than anything dragged it down.

After one viewing, on my high-low scale:
                    Empire
                    New Hope == Rogue One
                    Return of the Jedi == Force Awakens
                    Last Jedi
                    Attack of the Clones
                    Phantom Menace == Revenge of the Sith
                    Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                    They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Yeah, I disliked the "All the stuff you spent the last half-hour doing? All meaningless." And I really hated the end of the escape sequence. Uhh, you mean a ship going light-speed can be a super weapon that kills anything in its way? So why aren't light-speed missiles the most common weapon in the universe? Why didn't the Empire use those on planets instead of the massive Death Star type beams?
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

In all of the prior works of which i'm aware (read: the stuff that's now non-canon), the reason you have to be exceedingly careful with light-speed calculations is that any collisions are invariably *mutually* fatal. Which wouldn't be an issue with missiles. Maybe light-speed drives are just THAT expensive that they don't wanna waste them on projectiles...?
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          ... Maybe light-speed drives are just THAT expensive that they don't wanna waste them on projectiles...?
                          Not to mention they are a one-time use item, where as death stars are multiple use, barring outside interference.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            where as death stars are multiple use, barring outside interference.
                            Plus, Death Stars are just so freakin' cool
                            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                              Yeah, I disliked the "All the stuff you spent the last half-hour doing? All meaningless." And I really hated the end of the escape sequence. Uhh, you mean a ship going light-speed can be a super weapon that kills anything in its way? So why aren't light-speed missiles the most common weapon in the universe? Why didn't the Empire use those on planets instead of the massive Death Star type beams?
                              There is some merit to a light speed bomb. I haven't seen the movie and won't until it comes out on video. Currently in the USAF inventory there is a kinetic bomb that is just a steel bomb skin that is filled with a high density concrete. With a seeker head and tail drop it from 25K+ feet high precision and lots of energy no explosion. Other than the forward motion of the bomb from the air craft the only other force is gravity.
                              Now the same thing should be possible with a FTL ship and a much large kinetic projectile moving at or near light speed. It should punch the crust without much of a problem, however moving that fast it could punch out the other side without doing too much damage.
                              That should be a good question to pose to Stupendous Wave on yousetube.

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              Not to mention they are a one-time use item, where as death stars are multiple use, barring outside interference.
                              With a FTL weapon there couldn't be a defense since you wouldn't know from which direction it would be coming. I also would think an FTL drive would be common enough to not be that expensive, after-all Han had the Falcon and he stayed broke. I would also think a Death Star would be incredibly expensive.
                              Last edited by EricKei; 01-10-2018, 09:52 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
                              Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Working...
                              X