This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting Question

My mother, who is in her 70s, has a phone that she hates. It is a Samsung Galaxy, and she’d switched to it from an iPhone after my dad died. She doesn’t like how it’s functionality is completely different to what she was used to, but now thinks that she has a virus on it, because it starts having pop up ads when she accesses any application.

At church today, I asked her if she’d backed it up, and from her look, I knew she hadn’t. She told me that she can’t get it to send or receive pictures, either to another device or to her computer. I tested it there, in the church building, which does not have WiFi, and tried sending a picture to my phone, which was unsuccessful.

I think the only way to resolve any virus issues is to do a hard reset, but need to back up her pictures and contacts first. I know that she has WiFi at her house, so will be going over there tomorrow, and see what I can do with tethering it to her computer.

Am I on the right track, or does anyone have any other ideas to help her?

PS I am not sure which program it is that’s causing her pop ups, so I can’t google it specifically.

Does she have antivirus software on her phone?

You may need to do a hard reset, but I'd be putting an antivirus program on there as a matter of priority. (There are two free ones I'm aware of that have a mobile version - Avast and AVG)

Comment

I noticed on my Motorola Droid Max that I started getting a lot of pop-ups. I started testing apps I had on it and found out it was the flash-light app.
      My was has had to hard reset her i7 several times, she hates it.
      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

If infection is a possibility, I'd take it to a professional.

Comment

Working...
        X