This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
    equipment hooked back up after you reach the age of at least 18 and successfully pass a series of written exams and parenting workshops.
    The obvious huge problem with this is finding a government - ANY government - able to develop and administer fair, accurate, unbiased tests. Jesus, they can't even keep crappy drivers off the road, and that's a pretty objective summation of skills. And they've been practicing those tests for decades

Except for the religious aspects, one clever notion I saw in an op-ed piece quite a few years ago was this: pay women to not have children. The proponent had fairly extensive numbers to back up his thesis, but the gist was that there would be an actual reduction in overall welfare and ADC costs if you gave every woman from 14 to 24 a certain amount each year they didn't have a child, and the amount compounded by the year. No kid this year, $100. No kid last year and this year, $200. The actual amounts were higher, and tied to what would be saved, but seemed like a pretty good proposition.

I liked it 'cause it was completely voluntary, but since I can think of about ten SCish objections right off the top of my head, I don't suppose it was ever seriously considered.

Quoth edible_hat View Post
    There's a movie about that...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
    Which I just heard of by way of a discussion with a co-worker. Someone had told an SC story, and I followed up with a description of the short story "The Marching Morons" by Kornbluth. He said "No, that's a movie you're thinking about...." which eventually led me to the (IMHO) so-so movie Idiocracy.
    Last edited by sms001; 10-11-2007, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Re: thread title.
      No, screaming at the kids really only makes them want to do whatever it is they're doing more. They can see that they're affecting you by doing it. They have the power in that relationship by the time you're screaming at them.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

The pinkie represents the size of the man's erect penis, i.e., he's a needle dick. International symbol, at least according to my friend from England, who uses it instead of flipping people off in traffic.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
          No kid this year, $100. No kid last year and this year, $200. The actual amounts were higher, and tied to what would be saved, but seemed like a pretty good proposition.
          I could so get behind something like that. Reduced population: Check. Reduced Overall Payouts: Check. Reduced number of trash money-grubbers breeding and raising future generations of entitlement whores on the dole: Check!

Quoth wagegoth View Post
          The pinkie represents the size of the man's erect penis, i.e., he's a needle dick. International symbol, at least according to my friend from England, who uses it instead of flipping people off in traffic.
          Heh. That's what I figured it likely meant, since I had come up with that independently several years back myself. I also have a tendency to ask people "compensate much?" when I see particularly tricked out or oversized vehicles.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            Tied to the insult:

I can understand why you're so mad. If I were you, I'd be pretty pissed too. 'Cause this is you:
            *wiggles pinkie*
            And this is me:
            *waves arm around like an elephant trunk*

Great for useless jocks, because if they get more angry, they're just proving you right.
            If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post

My old roommate said it would be a good idea to reintroduce a predator into the world that actually went after humans.
              I vote for Pterodactyl.
              Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

How about "A Modest Proposal"?
                ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                  The way I learned it, was that the recipient was not worth the whole bird (middle finger) so gets only a feather.
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Me thinks Daddy needs a swift kick to the balls.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                      How about "A Modest Proposal"?
                      HEY! There're Irishmen here. (Besides, the disparity between English and Irish economies isn't what it once was, so I doubt the little buggers would fetch much.) (Plus, everyone's so health conscious these days.) (What kind of price per pound are you thinking FOB? 'cause we could ship from the States too.......)

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                        Uh, okay, color me confused, but why is that bad?

To stand over someone's food in the way back days of old, meant to demean them at their own dinner table. Big insult.

Today, health code violations such as falling skin cells and possible hair, or a crumb from my shirt, etc.

For a female employee, its a hazard to one's chest hygeine (i.e. in the pizza/salad).

Comment

But then daddy would offer to lick it off...

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                            But then daddy would offer to lick it off...
                            Bleh... redneck breath.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                              Since we keep insisting on curtailing natural selection the government should just snip your tubes ( whatever kind you may have ) at the age of 10. You can have your equipment hooked back up after you reach the age of at least 18 and successfully pass a series of written exams and parenting workshops. =p

But nooooo, we have this stupid ass "personal freedom" thing.

Considering this trend of the more retarded and inept you would be as a parent the more likely you are to end up having kids completely by accident you'd think the alarm bells would be going off. Its like some sort of reproductive global warming. Its only a matter of time before we wake up one morning drowning in the rising water levels of the farkwit ocean.

( yes, I'm joking......kind of. )

Seriously though, you need to pass a course/exam and/or get a license for everything else in life you could do that could potentially ruin lives: Driving, marriage, gun ownership, etc. Why not having children? Thats the ultimate ruiner of lives right there ( The poor kids lives to be specific. )
                              Gk you and my sister need to sit down and talk.
                              Actually i have some great ending stupidity ideas too but i like hollys...
                              Ill give you a dumbed down version.
                              We dont let parents raise these kids anymore. After the reach age x they go into goverment school (or in her insane words 'camp') and are raised there. theres more but you would really have to talk to her.
                              basically its alittle bit like Song Quest and little bit like.... .... .... i cant remember the name but it was good...

Comment

They can be raised by my mother and they will grow to be God fearing leg crossing good little Christian children....

Or recovering drug addicts and recovering alcoholics like I am!

That was a bad idea. Scratch that. Not my mum.....no way.......we'd end up with worse children.

It's ALWAYS either the parent is too lenient or they are out of control with rage and discipline.

Comment

Working...
                                X