This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii + expensive broken TV = jerk.

I remembered this one, but forgot to post it. Basically, the man's idiot son failed to wear the wrist strap that comes with the Wiimote and in the mist of playing his game, threw the Wiimote at the TV.... and cracked the screen.

As anyone with a brain will guess, if he has a service plan (which he did) this is not covered as it's considered abuse. Even if his son DID wear the strap and it just broke, it's still not covered.

Cue customer turning into SC....

Me: The good news is, I can send a tech out to diagnose the TV under your service plan for customer satisfaction but as this is considered abuse parts and labor after that will be out of pocket.

SLD's note: He's lucky I was being nice. If I was a prick I would also change the initial diagnostic to be out of pocket as well.

SC: Don't act as if you're doing me a favor here. I want this fixed.... FOR FREE. It's not like my son did it on purpose.

Me: I'm sorry but we have to abide by the underwriters of the service plan and their guidelines. Whenever the TV is dropped, knocked over, or something hits and breaks the screen - even if it was not intentional - the service plan automatically considers it abuse and is not covered.

SC: Well it's not acceptable to me to spend a ton of money on this TV (It was a 52" LCD middle-of-the-line model) and the service plan only to be told it's not covered. I was told it covers everything.

Me: The service plan covers defects in materials and workmanship and issues caused by normal wear and tear. Your son hitting the screen with a Wiimote and damaging it is not normal wear and tear.

SC: Well you're being rude!

Me: I'm sorry if I came off as such sir but if you want this TV repaired beyond the initial diagnosis there will be a charge.

SC: Well let's hope the agent can pull a fast one and just say that there's lines on the screen, okay?

Me: I have already documented that something hit the screen and cracked it. If the agent were to do that, the system will flag it, change it to out of pocket anyway and the agent himself might get in trouble for doing that.

SC: Not my problem! How about this.... I authorize the repair, have the agent order and replace the parts.... AND THEN REFUSE TO PAY HIM!

Me: Sir I'd like to reiterate this call is recorded, and since our agents ask for payment up front before installing parts, that's not going to work.

SC: So in other words you and your onsite techs are more concerned about yourselves than getting my TV fixed, is that right?

Me: Sir I'm sorry you feel that way but as was said before, I can send out a diagnosis only under service plan but parts and labor will be out of pocket. Whenever you're ready I can schedule that.(Thinking: Um, your damn TV is not going to buy our food or pay our rent.)

SC: You know what, just forget it. I'm going to have to report your asses to the BBB. Bye!

*Click.*

Even the TV's factory warranty would not cover this. He is better off buying a new TV and telling his son to be a bit less.... careless next time.

As soon as I saw the title, I had a pretty good idea of what this was about. The same thing happened here -- we were having a cookout, my friend's little girl was playing on the Wii, and the remote slipped off her hand and smacked the TV screen. Luckily, we were still using our old tube TV at the time, and it didn't hit it hard enough to damage it.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I would have referred him to his house insurer since most people actually have accidental damage cover.

Expecting a service plan or warranty to cover it is stupid and trying to report you for not breaking the rules to get it covered for his is even worse.
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Reminds me of a single-panel cartoon I saw a few years back (forgot which one). Father was standing slack-jawed after a gaming accident, the TV had a shattered screen with a certain bar-shaped object stuck in the centre of the breakage, and son was saying "Wiiiii".
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Almost had the same thing here too. My little girl forgot the strap and hit my moms 65" rear projection HDTV, you know the kind with the thin plastic screen. I got really lucky though, she hit towards the edge and not hard enough to crack anything.Was so happy about no damage I don't think I remembered to get after her for no strap.
          GFY

Comment

Linky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xUhO...eature=related

This guy actually says "Mama! Oh gosh! Mama!" after breaking the TV.

Comment

I just love how people equate refusal to commit insurance fraud as "bad customer service"
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                I just love how people equate refusal to commit insurance fraud as "bad customer service"
                I used to call people out on that and then tell them I'd have to report them to the police.

"What you're trying to do is insurance fraud and I'll have to contact the authorities about this".
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Gizmo View Post
                  I would have referred him to his house insurer since most people actually have accidental damage cover.
                  I know on my plan the deductible would pretty much make it not worth filing a claim.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                  My wife bought be me a $300 digital camera for Christmas the year before last. My one complaint is the damn thing is TOO SMALL! Within a month I had dropped it down the stairs as it was opening and it was toast.

I felt so bad that I went out that weekend and bought a replacement but this time I took the optional insurance that covers everything except theft. As long as I can give them the camera or pieces that equal the camera it's covered.

A few days after I bought the new camera it slipped out of my hand, landed on the floor and once again totally busted. The insurance plan is for three years and it already paid for itself in less than a week. I make sure I use the strap but the thing is so small and apparently so fragile that I have no doubt I will be using the plan again.
                  You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

I buy most of my expensive electronics at Best Buy and always get the full service plan. I bought a computer there, a couple months later a power surge came through the coax cable, through the modem, and fried the computers high speed internet port and hard drive (as well as the modems in my Xbox and PS2, the modem itself, and a downstairs tv. Best Buy fixed the computer up for free. I bought a laptop a few years later, less than a year the cat knocked it off the table, destroyed. Got a brand new one free. My mom got me a 19 inch flatscreen because I wanted an outside tv for parties, I can leave it on the wall outside without worry thanks to the product replacement plan.

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                      I have no doubt I will be using the plan again.
                      In that case, would recommend going over that plan with a fine-toothed comb -- many warranties cover one "complete replacement" and one ONLY, as the original warranty technically would cover the original unit....Ya know, the one you just gave back to them? ^_^;>

I strongly suggest asking the people at the store about it, too, just to make sure you don't have to purchase a second plan or a renewal of some sort.

--------------

As for warranties in general -- yeah, electronics of any kind that cost more than a hundred bucks, tires, and certain car parts are among the few things I will get warranties for without hesitation. e.g.: Got 4 new tires about a year ago, paid ten bucks more apiece for unconditional lifetime repair/replacement/balancing. Money well spent
                      Last edited by EricKei; 06-26-2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: clarified
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

One of my friends got a Wii when they first came out, after he and his 3 brothers broke a TV with the controller, his parents bought a projector to hook up to it so you just stick the sensor to the wall and play away! (There's still some dents in the wall from the odd accident though!)
                        My Crafting Profile http://www.craftster.org/forum/index...ofile;u=139859

Comment

When I had people who didn't get the difference between an extended warranty and insurance (or lack thereof) I usually told them this:

Me: Your car, it has or had a warranty, right?
                          Cust: Yes.
                          Me: And you have insurance on it, right?
                          Cust: Yes.
                          Me: Say a storm comes though and knocks over a large tree. Do you call the dealership to have it covered under the warranty or your insurance company to have insurance company.

(This usually ended up with either a blank stare, an argument how "cars are different", or how it's irrelevant).
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
                          X