This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MadMike View Post
    Why stop there? Why not stash the key to the front door of the building under the doormat?
    Who told you it was there? It's a secret!
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      Why stop there? Why not stash the key to the front door of the building under the doormat?
      I'm sure it is already there, the IT person will probably just recommend that a sign is installed at eye level stating that the key is under the mat.

Just ran into this situation, for IT contractor I been doing stuff for I just got access to do their dell certs, I can already access another guys account because they want a specific password used, basically one that if your on their facebook you have all the required information to follow the scheme of InfoXInfoYInfoZ..... and they requested I mail them the username and password..... of Course, they have all my info too, so one would think I wouldn't need to send more than username and have them generate my password.
      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I talked to a guy once who took over a small shop that the previous admin (who had quite in a snit of some sort) set everybody's password on their AS/400 and prevented them from ever changing it. He knew what they all were, but apparently only kept them in his head.

When the guy took over, he had to have IBM help recover the sysadm (think root) passwords, and then he implemented new password rules, forcing everybody to change their passwords and keep them changed every 30 days.

He apparently only stayed for a few months before the top brass decided they didn't like his new rules and fired him. Don't know if they ever found anyone to do things different or not.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
          When the guy took over, he had to have IBM help recover the sysadm (think root) passwords, and then he implemented new password rules, forcing everybody to change their passwords and keep them changed every 30 days.
          most likely the user account would have been QSECOFC. If I remember correctly that IS the GOD account on an AS/400.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

You don't need external access, just one disgruntled employee or one who needs some $$$.
            Quote Dalesys:
            ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
              most likely the user account would have been QSECOFC. If I remember correctly that IS the GOD account on an AS/400.
              Yes, you are correct. I wasn't thinking right.

Eric the Grey
              In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Could be worse -- at the accounting place (where I was web dude and semi-computer guy -- anything dealing with the server, we called our Network Guy), we had a cheap wooden cabinet on the wall next to the server room door. This was inside the server/storage/file room, which of course did not seem to have a properly functioning A/C vent. When it did rained heavily, it tended to drip water down within scant inches of said server. On weekends, there was no A/C ventilation at all in there, due to the *building's* A/c setup. Anyhoo, where was I? Oh yes, the cabinet. It was on the wall inside the server room door. Cabinet lacked a lock of any kind. What it DID have was a little scrap of paper with the server/domain's master login name (3 guesses what it was....starts with an 'A') and password on it, where anyone who walked into the server room could easily see it. Boss made sure to have said password used on as many programs as possible within the server to make it easier to remember. Those that did not use this password invariably used his Windows logon password.

Note that the server itself was a rackmount unit...sans rack...sitting on a piece of plywood, cooled only by two desk fans and 2 or 3 little 3-inch personal fans all pointed at various parts of its anatomy. I refused to touch it physically, aside from powering it on when we needed to reboot the t1/TerminalServer (note: Server machine, singular, not plural. Housed Small Business Server, Exchange, TS, et al, all on one machine; the setup was so arcane that rebooting any given component usually required rebooting EVERYTHING, including the server, the VIOP system, and the t1. Best case scenario: 20 minutes' downtime (no network nor internet), 5 minutes of which without phones. Naturally, this had been setup on the cheap (thanks to the boss trying to save money) about 3 "Network dudes" back. I can only assume that our little company had a reputation, as it was hard to get people to service our net at times)
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                X