This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It didn't work!"

We know that our internet banking can be a pita, especially for our older customers. So when this customer (let's call him Tim) was having trouble, our bookkeeping employee decided to make sure everything was set up and working before handing the customer his user id and password.

Today, Tim walks into the bank, hands me the printout with his user id and password, and says "It didn't work!"

Me: Ok, did it give you an error message?
    Tim: It didn't give me anything.
    Me: Ok. Let's try it out. <pulls up website> Did this load? Were you able to type in your user id and password?
    Tim: No, it didn't do anything. I typed in my user name and password, and it didn't work.
    Me: <mental facepalm> But did it give you an error message?
    Tim: No, it didn't work.
    Me: <takes printout and types in user id and password> <points to screen> Ok, it says invalid user id or password.
    Tim: Well I called and they said I had to reset my password.
    Me: Was this before or after bookkeeping set this up for you?
    Tim: Um, after.

So, at this point, I handed him off to the bookkeeping employee to reset his password again. Seriously? I know that our online banking isn't very intuitive, and it doesn't give the criteria for a strong password until after you try to change your password, but the error message is right at the top of the screen. How can you miss it?
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

before I even read I'm gonna guess you can respond with "It didn't work.....because your an idiot".... now I shall see if my guess is right
    I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I think end users have selective vision...

"There was no error message" *there was*

"It said something about something"

"It asked me to do something, i just clicked ok" *without reading it, i have seen my sister do this*

"it asked me to insert disk 2, I figured it wasn't neccessary and clicked cancel, Now it doesn't work!"
      There Can Be Only One

Comment

Some are so computer illiterate that they don't know what an error message is, even though personal computers came out 30 years ago. *sigh*
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

This was a "perfect storm" of user errors.

1. He asked to have his password reset (a) after he asked the local bookkeeper to set up his account but (b) before trying the user id and password the local bookkeeper set up.

2. He didn't pay attention to what was on the screen. (or else he would have seen the error message).

3. He refused to tell me if the web page even loaded.

4. He didn't tell me he called the main branch to have his password reset until after I tried to get him logged in.

I have this urge to make excuses by saying that he's old, he didn't grow up around computers like I did, but he's getting senile, and he's been mishandling the account for several years. It's about time he handed it off to somebody else.
          (It's an account for a non-profit. He's the president of the non-profit. Kinda scary.)
          "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
          X