This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Click!* *Click!* *Click!*

So I'm training at a new-to-me account, and *Click!* at several locations around this office, there are Simplex 1605 time-stampers. One such location is in our area. In *Click!* fact, it's behind me and too my right about 8 feet *Click!* away.

*Click!*

I'm not entirely clear on what these things are for. They look like *Click!* an electric stapler with a clock on the front. *Click!* I guess if you insert a document in there it stamps it with the current time.*Click!*

I am NOT *Click!* kidding when I say that LITERALLY every minute on the minute this *Click!* stupid thing makes a loud CLICK *Click!* as it mechanically cycles the stamp to the next *Click!* digit.

*Click!*

And this is anything but subtle click. Remember *Click!* early power door locks on cars, and the nice *Click!* solid thunk the solenoids made? It reminds me of that.

*Click!*

*Click!*

*Click!*

Aargh!!!

And it's so slow and quiet here that there's very little to distract you from the *Click!* noise. I don't know how the people here stand it!!

*Click!*

OK.....I really hate this stupid thing....it's a good thing I don't own a gun, otherwise it might be *Click!* *Click!* *BOOM!* as I reduce that stupid piece of shit to *Click!* a smoking paperweight

*Click!*
    Last edited by Dave1982; 10-17-2012, 02:48 PM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Perhaps we can interest your purchasing department in Lord Vetinari's Clock?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I have an old clock like that. It's constantly making a sort of grinding hum as the seconds turn, then *thunk* as the minute goes. It's nice when I'm putting off getting up, because I can say 'just one minute' and then hear it.

You'll probably get used to it.
      Curiously Lydean - curious interests of a curious person.

Comment

Nicely written Dave, I can feel your misery. I do hope it moves to the background for you.

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Perhaps we can interest your purchasing department in Lord Vetinari's Clock?
        EXACTLY what I was thinking - would it drive him mad faster, or more slowly? Let's find out.

Comment

I love your description, but of course mostly because I'm not the one being driven to machinicide by the noise ...

Is it possible for you to perchance play some music in your work area, low enough to not distract anybody else but just loud enough for your ears (and mind) to focus on that rather than the endless clicking? Better yet, can you use those tiny little bud headphones?

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            EXACTLY what I was thinking - would it drive him mad faster, or more slowly? Let's find out.
            What's actually really funny - well, for me - is that I can more easily ignore an irregular noise than a constant, regular noise. Then again, when I'm waiting I tend to fall back into my own mind and do stuff there rather than being super attentive to everything around me, which I find most people do when they're stuck in a waiting room.
            My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
            It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Click. Click. BOOM

Comment

If you're there long enough, you will eventually get used to it. My desk used to be near a water pipe which fed from the drain of an upstairs sink. Every time someone washed there hands, I'd hear *trickle whoooosh* as water ran through the pipe. I spent the first few weeks feeling urges to pee often. Eventually though, you don't even hear it anymore.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Keeping time, time, time,
                  As he knells, knells, knells,
                  In a happy Runic rhyme,
                  To the rolling of the bells -
                  Of the bells, bells, bells -
                  To the tolling of the bells -
                  Of the bells, bells, bells, bells,
                  Bells, bells, bells, -
                  To the moaning and the groaning of the bells

errr....clicks

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                    In a happy Runic rhyme,
                    Bells, bells, bells, -

errr....clicks
                    Keeping time, time time,
                    As he kicks, kicks, kicks,
                    In an angry fuming rhyme,
                    To the drumming of the clicks -
                    Of the clicks, clicks, clicks -
                    To the thrumming of the clicks -
                    Of the clicks, clicks, clicks,
                    Clicks, clicks, clicks, -
                    To the rocking and the tocking of the clicks
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Poe-fect!

Comment

We had one of those at work for a long time. It was used to time stamp display ads before they went down to production, to prove they had been tossed in the bin before deadline.

Last time I used one, it was printing something like 12:32 for a date (day/month).

Nobody uses them anymore as space reservations for ads are all done by computer now.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

There is something similar mounted in the vestibules of the commuter trains here, alongside the travelcard machines. It's meant to be used with "carnet" tickets, where you buy journeys in bulk (at a slight discount) and use them one by one. You have to stamp the ticket using this machine in order to make it valid for the journey, and this simultaneously uses up one of the spaces on the ticket.

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                            In a happy Runic rhyme,
                            Bells, bells, bells, -

errr....clicks
                            That's my favorite Poe-m.

SC
                            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime - is marching on!

And tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime - - - is still marching on!

Comment

Working...
                              X