This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Which One Is It?

I have this new job at a library. For the most part, I have nothing to complain about. I actually like the work. But something is bugging me.

During yesterday's shift, I took a half hour "off desk" time. The off desk time was scheduled in advanced and was even written down on the assignment schedule. From what I was told, I could use that time to check email and stuff. About 10 minutes into my off desk time, another coworker comes in and asks if I'm taking my break. I explain that I'm scheduled off desk, but she tells me that "off desk" means I still have to shelve.

WTF?

I was told by the head admin assistant that I could check my email and stuff while off desk. Why is this random coworker telling me differently?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who experienced something like this. Something in which you're told one thing, but then another person tells you something else and you're not sure who to believe. I'm not losing sleep over this since it's not that big of a deal, but I'm just so confused.

First, congrats on the job!

I've had coworkers like that, and my first reaction (now) would be to find out whether that particular coworker actually has any authority or whether they are just deluded enough to think they do. Is it possible they were shelving and weren't happy about it, and made up this "rule" to get you to do some or all of that work?

Since it was the head admin assistant who told you that you can check email and so on during your "off desk" time, I'd say that trumps anything your coworker tries to tell you.

Comment

Yeah, ditto that, with the caveat that maybe fellow worker was misinformed as well - maybe yet another person didn't like shelving and told coworker that, and they didn't think to question it. I'd probably double check casually if only because the phrasing "off desk" seems to have a different connotation than "break." How long are these shifts?

Comment

And to the co-worker I would reply " 'Head Admin Assistant' stated I am allowed to do this during this time. I will check with him/her to find out if you are her superior and able to override her. "

would be funny to see if they backpeddled quickly

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          First, congrats on the job!

I've had coworkers like that, and my first reaction (now) would be to find out whether that particular coworker actually has any authority or whether they are just deluded enough to think they do. Is it possible they were shelving and weren't happy about it, and made up this "rule" to get you to do some or all of that work?

Since it was the head admin assistant who told you that you can check email and so on during your "off desk" time, I'd say that trumps anything your coworker tries to tell you.
          I don't think she did this to get me to do her work. She couldn't really 'make me' do her cart since we're allowed to pick any cart that needs shelving to work on. The only reason I can think of is that she wanted on the computer I was on.

Quoth sms001 View Post
          Yeah, ditto that, with the caveat that maybe fellow worker was misinformed as well - maybe yet another person didn't like shelving and told coworker that, and they didn't think to question it. I'd probably double check casually if only because the phrasing "off desk" seems to have a different connotation than "break." How long are these shifts?
          This shift was four hours. I'm allowed one fifteen minute break during that shift and I was told the "off desk" time was a half an hour.

Quoth Teskeria View Post
          And to the co-worker I would reply " 'Head Admin Assistant' stated I am allowed to do this during this time. I will check with him/her to find out if you are her superior and able to override her. "

would be funny to see if they backpeddled quickly
          Unfortunately, head admin assistant wasn't there that day so I didn't know who to ask. It just caught me off guard. I didn't really care since I had nothing to do on break anyway, but I'll know in the future not to listen to these people.

Comment

If it's a half hour out of a four hour shift, I would suspect that it actually is meant for work done away from the desk, but maybe the head admin person meant it would be ok to do things like check email as long as the other work also got done. But I wouldn't take your co-worker's word for it, I'd ask the boss.

(Where I work there is no lunch period during a four hour shift, but there is one, and only one, 15 minute break.)
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Come to think of it, all I've done so far has been away from my desk, so for all I know, "off desk" could mean anything.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'd suspect too, MoonCat. Of course, a simple check w/ the admin assistant is going to clear all this up, but I bet "off-desk" is simply meant to be a way of relieving tedium/breaking up a workday/getting away from patrons sort of thing, and that one is expected to do other duties during that time, as differentiated from a "break" where your time is your own.

As far as negating or confronting fellow employees, I wouldn't be a doormat, but I'd get a little more experience in the location before I'd say anything. Many jobs have fairly solid pecking orders that don't really show up on TOs, and a noob rocking the boat can cause friction.

Comment

Turns out that coworker was incorrect. I asked boss lady about this and "off desk" means you can check your work email. It's not a break, but I'm not expected to shelve during that time.

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
                    Turns out that coworker was incorrect. I asked boss lady about this and "off desk" means you can check your work email. It's not a break, but I'm not expected to shelve during that time.
                    Oh, wait, WORK email is different. Sorry, I thought you meant personal email.

But now that you've got the boss's word, next time a CW says you "shouldn't" be doing that, you can either ignore them or tell them to ask the boss. Chances are they'll shut up or go find someone else to bitch at.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                    X