Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah and girls can wear trousers and no-one thinks they're making a statement.Perhaps I should move to Sri Lanka or Kenya where I can wear a sarong or grass skirt to my heart's content

Or be a Swedish train driver....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22828150

In fact,they can't stop them wearing it.Since it's OK for the women to wear,it has to be legal for the men too.
    Last edited by Kit-Ginevra; 12-22-2013, 04:02 AM.
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Oh, I'm well aware that it's a double standard.

Women in 'our' culture started 'making a statement' by wearing trousers (or 'bloomers') in the late 1800s.
      Katherine Hepburn, in the 1960s and 70s, was still 'making a statement' by preferring trousers whenever she wasn't acting.

I'm afraid it'll take time - and enough men 'making a statement' - before men in skirts is seen as normal.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
        What do I go for?It's an easy enough interview-I'll be joining the dark side doing inventory/audits for supermarkets-normally when store's closed so that's no problem. It should be a cinch-it says if you pass the numeracy test you WILL get a job after New Year. The only trousers I have are jeans or something that may have a button missing or lives in the wardrobe,but have plenty of nice businessy skirts(and that's all it says for interview-dress code smart).
        So do I choose skirt for interview and risk them going eek or go with trousers and then wait till I have the contract before turning out....Never had a problem before as I was freelancing,but this time I actually have to meet some of the team leaders/company peoples...
        Skirt, since it sounds like you don't have any interview ready trousers. If this is the kind of work i think it is though, if its in the budget, i'd pick up a couple pairs of good trousers if you know what is acceptable. Having done this work, i don't recall too much of a rule on colour or type, you just need to look professional, and i'd recommend a darker colour that won't show dirt.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
          Skirt, since it sounds like you don't have any interview ready trousers. If this is the kind of work i think it is though, if its in the budget, i'd pick up a couple pairs of good trousers if you know what is acceptable. Having done this work, i don't recall too much of a rule on colour or type, you just need to look professional, and i'd recommend a darker colour that won't show dirt.
          Khaki, beige, tan, or grey are all nice, neutral office colors. Good Luck, whatever you decide on.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Well I went with plain black skirt and black tights and nice businessy shirt-smart looking and professional.No problems at all.Turned up,they did a basic intro/runthrough.Seems they were there not so much to interview you as to answer any queries or info you needed.
            Got the numeracy quiz,completed it,handed it in,they confirmed I'd passed,confirmed details correct for all my paperwork to be sent to,ready to start.
            Now I'm actually taken on,shouldn't have to worry so much what I'm wearing as long as it's smart professional.Especially since we'll be auditing the shop first thing in the morning when there won't be many customers around. Thanks to you all for your help
            muchly appreciated.

How mischievous is it to wonder how short a skirt I can actually get away with I mean,kneeling down doing counting,no-one would notice an extra few inches hitched up would they
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
            X