This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skirt or trousers for interview?

What do I go for?It's an easy enough interview-I'll be joining the dark side doing inventory/audits for supermarkets-normally when store's closed so that's no problem. It should be a cinch-it says if you pass the numeracy test you WILL get a job after New Year. The only trousers I have are jeans or something that may have a button missing or lives in the wardrobe,but have plenty of nice businessy skirts(and that's all it says for interview-dress code smart).
    So do I choose skirt for interview and risk them going eek or go with trousers and then wait till I have the contract before turning out....Never had a problem before as I was freelancing,but this time I actually have to meet some of the team leaders/company peoples...
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

As long as the skirts look practical for the work you'll be doing... eg. you can walk and bend in them easily enough... I would expect them to be fine.

I would say they wouldn't be too worried if you come to interview in 'non-practical' work clothes though either.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

If you have a pair of trousers in GOOD condition - ie, no buttons missing, look business-y - wear them for a day or a half-day or something before the interview. Make sure they fit, don't pull, still look good at the end of the day. (Normal 'I've been wearing these' creases are fine. Showing sweat, having a ton of creases, showing dirt too easily, is not.)

If they're comfortable and pass the test, clean them and iron them and wear them to the interview. You are interviewing for a job where trousers are more practical!

If they aren't, or don't, wear a skirt.

As for the clothes that need repair: take them out of the wardrobe, put them in a basket with a sewing kit (spare buttons, etc) on top, and put it next to your favourite TV chair. If, after a month, you're making steady progress, fine. If not, ditch the clothes.
      Progress can simply include having made a list of what items are needed: eg, 'black button, 1 inch diam', 'dark brown hemming thread'. As long as you're going to buy at least some of those things by a certain date.

If you don't know how to do clothes repair; google has some answers, and so do the sewers in here.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        ...so do the sewers in here.
        Quit looking at me.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

What length skirt is best-I'm assuming probably not up to waist length(!) I don't have any sort of calf-length ones- just knee and mid-thigh length-probably knee length is best?
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

For an interview either trousers or skirt is fine, if you go with skirt go with knee length as it looks smarter.

Good luck!
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Has the advice for this changed in recent years? I was always told you dress "up" for the interview; regardless of what the current employees wear while on the job, you dress as professionally as possible, so if the skirt is in better condition than the pants, you wear the skirt.

Or do employers now feel that you should dress for the interview in what you would wear while working there?

Honest question.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well,if I get the job I'd be wearing skirt and trousers varying...just deciding whether to show them the skirt at interview or wait till I've actually got the job before turning up in skirt...

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Or do employers now feel that you should dress for the interview in what you would wear while working there?

Honest question.
                  Current advice is to dress one step up from what you would be wearing on the job.

Jeans and a Tee-shirt? Wear business casual to the interview.
                  Business Casual? Wear slacks and a dress shirt and tie.
                  Anything above that calls for a full suit (or whatever the equivalent for women is).
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Wear whatever looks best. Why would they think it odd you're in a skirt? Are you male? In that case you'll have to go with your gut about what the atmosphere is like around there.
                    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Yes I'm male Since it's a pass-the-numeracy-test-you-will-get-a-job, I can afford to be a little more unusual than in a straightforward interview... but there's still a little bit that thinks if I raise eyebrows now they might find a reason,and so it's safer to wait till contract is in hand.
                      Since it says smart and professional looking,then I've met that,so not really a problem.It's just smart,professional looking...and different

Comment

I hate to say it, but you don't want to give them a reason not to hire you and it may make one of your interviewers uncomfortable enough to tilt the scales away from you. Not that you would ever be told that was the reason, of course, but why take the risk? You get the job and then you can wear what you want.
                        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I'll second Katherine's advice. If it was a perfect world, I would say wear the skirt. It's not, so land the job first.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Kit, if I was interviewing, I'd wonder if a guy in a skirt would be more focused on working or making a "STATEMENT".

(Auld scowl hippie here)
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ah.

Yes, for a male, unless you're in Scotland and wearing a kilt, wear trousers.

San Francisco you should probably also be able to get away with a skirt.

Very few other places, sadly.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                              X