Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were thinking that if they have a house/deck/live on the ground floor just stick stuff on/in a snowbank to keep it cold. Not the best solution, but it'll work in a pinch.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My area is getting the snow now and last night was CRAZY! We were about the only place in town with milk and bread and only because we got a regular delivery last evening. I kept answering phone call after phone call asking if we had stuff. One guy wanted to know what kind of bread we had and then quizzing me on it. Look all we had was some defrosted stuff of our cheap ass store brand. And I'm sorry if you can't eat wheat bread but we got what we got. Don't get pissy with me.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

We got lucky here in northern VA, just about 3-inches total. But you'd have thought the world was ending, _every_ local grocery store was packed to the gills and the shelves were stripped bare!

Friday morning was cold and windy; about 25F with wind chill down to about 0. But the winds died and by noon a good chunk of the crap melted and the roads were great. Then Saturday morning it was _8_F, the coldest it's been in about 20 years around here! There's not a huge amount of the white stuff left but what's left is not going anywhere for awhile...

Comment

http://imgur.com/MgejvsB

Comment

So far I've been lucky on my trip. I managed to avoid the first storm by sneaking around the southern edge. The second chased me across Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana. It caught up to me in Ohio as I was leaving the hotel. I managed to get far enough ahead that it wasn't a problem until I entered the band of freezing rain in eastern Pennsylvania. As I sit here looking at my ice covered car outside my hotel, I'm crossing my fingers hoping that I make the last 350 miles safely.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
              Here's a set of the mall doors at the mall I work at:

They are frozen solid so there is no way people will be getting in there any time soon.
              Ya reckon that'll stop them trying???
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                Ya reckon that'll stop them trying???
                Nope, in fact they'll prolly sue you if they get frostbite from trying.

I had the fun of working 8 hours or so as a courier today. Of course I volunteered, I was working with another division delivering prescriptions to care centers, since no one else would go out in this. Gotta love my Sedona, we don't need roads, at least not plowed ones.
                Seph
                Taur10
                "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                  Gotta love my Sedona, we don't need roads, at least not plowed ones.
                  Brain just blue-screened. My understanding is that the Sedona is a front-wheel-drive minivan, while the Sportage and Sorento are sport-utes available with 4WD. Of course, 4WD isn't any help with steering and braking - just gives you enough extra traction to get fully into the ditch.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                    So far I've been lucky on my trip.
                    lol. Mentioned your post to my wife as we chit-chatted about weather-driving and she just muttered a curse. Glad it's going ok so far, and just take that last leg slow and easy. Have you driven in the NE corridor before? If not, be EXTRA careful, they're a breed apart.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                      Not to mention the broken water pipe that has flooded the food court with at least 5" of water...
                      Instant ice rink! Start renting out ice skates.
                      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Last night we hit the negative range of temperatures. But with the roads mostly clear, I decided to brave it since I hadn't heard from work. My poor car didn't want to start but we made it.

Only to find out that, besides the manager, I was the only one there. Why? Because the night manager called her crew and gave them the option of staying home. I'm under a different manager so she couldn't give me the option. And my manager works mornings only so getting her at 9 pm is a crap shoot.

I left at midnight though since we went from single digits to 0 between 9 pm to midnight. Sorry, not going to wait for the temp to hit the negatives before I leave.
                        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

The crap that melted yesterday and wasn't sent into the sewers (I did my part yesterday by kicking as much snow as I could into the storm drains--that was oddly fun) has frozen. Joy. The sidewalks I can see now look dry, but that doesn't mean much.

I'm closing tonight (4-11, please Gord let me not be closing cashier). Mom wants me home early if possible; once the traffic light at the intersection ceases normal operation at 11 on the nose people drive like morons. Add in the subzero temps and ice that will be on the roads...yeah.
                          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Things haven't changed much here though now it's finally above 0. I knew I wasn't making it to work today either. As a side note the music playing while I was waiting for someone to pick up the phone at work...London Calling by The Clash. In fact, here's the lyrics I was treated to.

"The ice age is coming
                            The sun's zooming in
                            Engine's stop running
                            The wheat is growing thin"

I had to focus on what I was calling for instead of laughing. Then earlier this afternoon I got a knock on the door from my neighbor saying that she had people outside to shovel out cars...and not looking for anything in return. I at least got to help some other neighbors get their car out.
                            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

It looks like I had the luck during this storm. My last day drive turned out fine other than rain and a small area of light snow. I was able to keep the worst of the weather behind me (other than the extra bad cold that hit.)

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                                Brain just blue-screened. My understanding is that the Sedona is a front-wheel-drive minivan, while the Sportage and Sorento are sport-utes available with 4WD. Of course, 4WD isn't any help with steering and braking - just gives you enough extra traction to get fully into the ditch.
                                It is, but its ridiculously heavy, and its all in the nose. When I moved, Budget's website wouldn't allow me to dolly tow it as it weighs to much. Thing is incredible in snow, 3 stucks that with some patience and creativity I've been able to drive out of, and only a few minor slides,
                                Seph
                                Taur10
                                "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X