This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Hours

So I got this job at a library as an on call page. I can finally stop filling out applications and worrying about interviews and all that BS. Unfortunately, since I'm on call, I'm not getting any hours, and I mean that literally.

To get hours, you have to check the schedule every day to see if any spots open up. If they do, you can email the admin assistant that you're interested in the hours, but the few times I've done this, I was told the positions were already filled (even though I've been checking every day). The last time I worked was december after Christmas, almost 3 weeks ago, and the last position that I missed was for Febuary, so it doesn't look like I'm going to be working any time soon. Even if I do, they're only five hour shifts so it's not going to be much.

Is this typical or on call positions? I thought I'd be getting more hours than this.

Unfortunately, that's what on-call means >_< It doesn't occur to me that a page would be something that has a huge need for it/people randomly calling out o_O Might wanna resume sending out the apps and resumes just in case.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

What time of day are you checking the page, it sounds like the other on call people are getting in before you.
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
        What time of day are you checking the page, it sounds like the other on call people are getting in before you.
        In the morning/early afternoon, when it's usually updated. It looks like other people do get it before me. So I guess I have to have perfect timing to get the hours (something I thought I'd be done with when I got the job ). Why would they even hire me if they weren't going to give me any hours?

Comment

Sadly, they want to have warm bodies available on short notice without having to pay them to hang around. From the way they have it set up -- you have to login to check for opportunities and call in -- it sounds like it's a way to get around a true "on call on a moment's notice" situation, where they would have to pay you to sit around and wait for a call-in. The main difference being, in the latter (paid) case, they would say you MUST be free at certain times, ready to come in to work with next to zero notice.

From the sound of things, yeah, you'll need to have both perfect timing and a huge amount of luck, I'm afraid.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Well sumbitch.

What do you have to do to get a job in this country?

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
              Well sumbitch.

What do you have to do to get a job in this country?
              Luck and kiss ass?

It's the latter I have difficulty with...
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth rageaholic View Post
                Is this typical or on call positions? I thought I'd be getting more hours than this.
                Yes. Extremely typical. I used to work PRN for several facilities throughout an entire hospital system. There were times I'd go for months without work and then someone would go on vacation for a week and I'd cover their hours. Even now that I'm part time, I still get budgeted a lot. And when I take (paid) call, sometimes I get called in a lot, sometimes I go an entire weekend without a peep. It's feast or famine and not a whole lot in between.

Hope things pick up for you soon. There may not be much you can do except wait it out.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I would get those resumes out and be job hunting, if you have all this time in between.

Comment

Working...
                  X