This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
    my doctor proclaimed me gluten intolerant.
    I'm not permitted almonds or cashews ( sob ) either ><

In fact the tests showed I'm pretty much intolerant of all of western civilization.
    Well, that sucks. I do a lot of gluten free cooking, so if you want a hand with recipes, let me know. I can recommend Pamela's Products as a good source of gluten free mixes, but you have to be wary, almond flour is a common component of gluten-free flour blends.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

My baking is heavily restricted as the only ingredients I'm not sensitive too in common baking is salt and sugar. I'm still experimenting to see what I CAN make. But I'm limited to recipes based around baking powder ( Sensitive to yeast too ). So I can only use recipes that were specifically made for moi. Otherwise I'm substituting too many things and the end result explodes ( No really, the dough has exploded twice now ).

I'm using a gluten free mix from a specialty bakery here that SEEMS to be ideal but I'm having my doubts seeing as, well, everything I make with it explodes. Plus it seems to completely overpower any other flavour present. If I make banana bread with it you can't taste banana at all. So I may have to make my own flour/startch mixes.

Comment

I understand the wanting to stab things. I get crazy enough after a weekend stuck in a house. Especially if I don't have any visitors. 3 months, plus?.... I'd be stark raving bonkers.
        Keep well GK, and hope you heal fast and well
        "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
        Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I'm really sorry, I'm very stupid....

But what's been ailing you? Your back?

Whatever it is, you have my sympathies. One can go stircrazy never leaving the house. Even people with anxiety like me end up running out of stuff to do at home and sometimes even look forward to people watching at Wal-Mart.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
            I'm really sorry, I'm very stupid....

But what's been ailing you? Your back?

Whatever it is, you have my sympathies. One can go stircrazy never leaving the house. Even people with anxiety like me end up running out of stuff to do at home and sometimes even look forward to people watching at Wal-Mart.
            I have "pathology" as my physiotherapist likes to put it. By and large its surprisingly severe soft tissue damage from poor ergonomics at work. Additionally I have a few vertabrae that are kind of locked and greater trochanderic pain syndrome arising from said damage. Basically my whole back and hips were a complete mess from repeatative stress injuries and it will take months if not a year to fix >.>

Comment

Oh, no. I hope you're able to make a full recovery!

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                Oh, no. I hope you're able to make a full recovery!
                I will, they determined I have no spine fractures or slipped disks. So its all soft tissue. It'll just take months of rehab -.-

Comment

And hopefully, a more comfortable work area to return to.

Goodness, makes me frightened of what I'm doing to myself 12 hrs a day, 36-48 hours a week on my feet on those awful mats that feel like they are made of dead bodies.

Comment

I wish, but where my physiotherapist warned me off chairs, my doctor proclaimed me gluten intolerant. So its been kind of a double whammy of suck this week. >.>
                    Bummer. I can see if my roomie will part with her cornmeal based chocolate chip cookie recipe for you. Doesn't use any commercial GF baking mixes, just cornmeal.
                    I will, they determined I have no spine fractures or slipped disks. So its all soft tissue. It'll just take months of rehab -.-
                    Ouch. Did they remember to check the sacrum for impingements? Sometimes they can be sneaky so you sort of have to squdge the MRI around a bit.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I'm not permitted almonds or cashews ( sob ) either ><
                      That sucks. I hope you find some treats you are able to eat.

In fact the tests showed I'm pretty much intolerant of all of western civilization.
                      I think we knew that.
                      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

Ok, so pink camo is still tolerable?

Otherwise I'm substituting too many things and the end result explodes ( No really, the dough has exploded twice now ).
                        Uhhhhh, I promise I had NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.

REALLY.
                        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I've had much better luck now just coming up with my own flour mixes and saying to hell with store bought mixes. Its actually edible and has flavour now.

Quoth blas
                          Goodness, makes me frightened of what I'm doing to myself 12 hrs a day, 36-48 hours a week on my feet on those awful mats that feel like they are made of dead bodies.
                          Considering I did this much damage just by sitting at a bad desk/chair for 4 years or so >.>

Quoth AccountingDrone
                          Ouch. Did they remember to check the sacrum for impingements? Sometimes they can be sneaky so you sort of have to squdge the MRI around a bit.
                          I have no idea, I'm not the expert hehe. They did warn me I was well on my way to permanent damage. It was all soft tissue for now, but they considered me a "good candidate" for a slipped disk or spinal fracture had I continued using the same equpment at work for much longer.

Quoth Seraph
                          Uhhhhh, I promise I had NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.
                          Normally, I'm a pretty good cook. But having bread down actually explode on me made me feel like Homer with a bowl of cornflakes. -.-

Comment

Normally, I'm a pretty good cook. But having bread down actually explode on me made me feel like Homer with a bowl of cornflakes. -.-
                            Ah, yes, the classic "Epic Fail" moment--

PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My dad had gravy explode on him. Basically, it was one of those already-made gravy mixes that you just heat up in the microwave.

Dad forgot to cut the corner off the package (it's shaped like a jug). End result=chicken-smelling microwave for a week
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

THe problem with the bakery mix seems to be they stuck so much xanthan gum in it that any dough I make has the consistency of bubble gum. So when I try to bake it, it forms a giant steam pocket in the middle then explodes. It also makes any dough or batter made with it turn sickly grey ( ew ).

For baking treats using pure rice flour I've come up with awesome gluten/dairy/egg/yeast free muffins after a week straight of daily baking experiments. I feel like some kind of god damn wizard now. Hell, they're even low fat.

Comment

Working...
                                X