Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, as I posted to some friends earlier....ok, ok. I did not expect a reaction like this. <.<

I basically started getting my notes and stuff together, gathering up the short stories, and the basis for larger ones. Just the rough notes are already 94 pages worth. 37,000 words. I'm going to now start sorting through, fleshing out things, and organizing in stuff from the awesomer clients I've had as well.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

I am going to restate that Raps needs to write the amazon review.

Or the back cover "this book is awesome" review.
      https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

i'd buy the book at a midnight release

Comment

Who has the TerribleTwo Leash & Muzzle set for the inner child?

... to be applied to J-2-W when he starts jumping up and down and up and down and up and down burbling "Is it done yet? Huh? Is it done yet? Huh? Is it done yet? Huh?"
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post

... to be applied to J-2-W when he starts jumping up and down and up and down and up and down burbling "Is it done yet? Huh? Is it done yet? Huh? Is it done yet? Huh?"
            We're fresh out, but what about this chloroform? How does it smell?

Quoth Kanalah View Post
            I am going to restate that Raps needs to write the amazon review.

Or the back cover "this book is awesome" review.
            Seriously. Requirement.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post

I don't know what you're talking about. I'm perfectly sane and composed.

DAMMIT WUMMAN WHY HAVEN'T YOU WRITTEN THE BOOK YETTT D:<
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Ha, working on it. I have an idea of the format I want to have everything set up.

Also now realized I'll need some advice later on for this. I'm not sure how I'd propose it to a publisher of any sort. Do I send a sample? Do I finish up a rough draft first, then send it to someone to look over?

I'm....actually kinda stoked about this. I love writing, this is a lot of fun.

Comment

You could self publish on Amazon?
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                    You could self publish on Amazon?
                    That would be your best bet and going by word of mouth and de internet

and Yay!!! Seraph's writing a book!!!!!!!! and 4thing Raps writing the review.

*happy dance*

Comment

There is one problem - how many people can afford a 100 volume book with 1000 pages each?

I'd say - go for it. It'd be an interesting book.
                      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I'd also go with self-publishing. There'd be a ton of places out there that would buy it. Hell-I would.

If you need someone to proofread, I am quite happy to offer my services! *raises hand*
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I'm not sure if self publishing is the best route for you or not but which ever option you go with I would do a bit of research on how to go about doing things when you're ready to publish.
                          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I'll be considering self-publishing, but from what I hear, it's a nice way to shoot yourself in the foot if you ever want to remotely, possibly, be published for real. So, have to consider both routes.

Either way, been working on it off and on this weekend...stripping out stuff that I don't feel would be good, and formatting a few of the stories.

Comment

Add me to the list of folks who'd pre-order a copy

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                                Ha, working on it. I have an idea of the format I want to have everything set up.

Also now realized I'll need some advice later on for this. I'm not sure how I'd propose it to a publisher of any sort. Do I send a sample? Do I finish up a rough draft first, then send it to someone to look over?

I'm....actually kinda stoked about this. I love writing, this is a lot of fun.
                                Having worked in a branch of the industry, let me give you a rundown.

First, find an agent who works in your field (nonfiction, humour, biography). Google can help with this, but make sure you research them. If they ask for money up front, RUN. If they aren't transparent about other deals they've done, and whether they've worked with your genre, keep looking. The bigger firms are more reliable, but it's easier to get your foot in the door with the smaller and newer ones - just make sure the lead agent has significant experience either with a major publishing house, or with a larger and more established agency. There are a lot of scammers out there.

Pick five agents who fit the bill. Send them a cover letter (this is who I am, this is what I'm trying to do, here's my goal, this is why I think you'd be a good agent for me) and an excerpt of the book. Be sure to really sell yourself.

Prepare for rejections. At least four out of the five agents will thank you, but tell you that they're not accepting new clients right now.

KEEP TRYING. You have a great book concept, and with a great editor, you can produce a money-maker. It's not easy, but once you have the agent, THEY do most of the publisher legwork. The whole point of having the agent is that they know the business. They can negotiate a better deal for you, help you retain or sell international and digital rights, and generally navigate you through the horrible morass that is traditional publishing.

Self-publishing is definitely an option, but keep in mind - you won't have a professional editor at hand to help you make sure the book flows the way it should, you run the risk of traditional publishers ignoring you if you do decide to try that route later, and you don't get the same exposure that you do with traditional publishing.

It's not easy, but it's worth it.

(p.s., if you somehow end up with a few extra dollars hanging about, Agent Research & Evaluation has some good services. Even their basic Agent Verification service is incredibly useful, to make sure the people you're considering aren't scammers.)

Comment

Working...
                                X