Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sucky Customers

Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Insert clever title here

Quote:
Quoth TheWolfEmperor View Post
I like horses but I don't even known the first thing about riding. I'm afraid I'd get too nervous and spook the animal. But feeding them carrots and hay? I'm all over that.
Same here. I might even attempt to brush one if I'm shown the correct way to do it.

The type of riding that mother/daughter wanted? No way. No way in hell would I be able to even begin that, no matter how many movies I watch . Unlike them, I know how reality works.

If I'm lucky, I might get some calm, muscular animal that can handle my weight and lack of experience and maybe go on a short ride around the paddock.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Insert clever title here

Quote:
Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
My first SCA arts and sciences contest entry was a linen ... Italian renn gown complete with cutwork, color on color padded embroidery and handwoven lucet loom cord....The winner of the competition was swen on a sewing machine using synthetic fabric and storebought trim ... didn't enter anything for another 20 years.
This was from the SCA? That must've been a rather lackadaisical group. Normally SCAdians, at least the ones I've met, are pretty strict on making sure stuff is "period". Synthetics would be right out. Sewing machine might be okay on inside seams, but hand-sewn would be better, and outside seams must be hand-sewn. One fellow even wrote and illustrated a funny zine about Bad Garb, showing the many pitfalls beginners and non-serious people make.

Now, I admit, my first SCA garb, I used store-bought patterns, made the chemise out of muslin and the vest and skirt out of slightly heavier cotton fabrics. And used a sewing machine (I was a beginner, plus lazy! ) Not really period, but at least I didn't use synthetics, printed pattern fabrics or -- good grief! -- zippers! I know it won't pass muster on closer inspection, but okay for a Ren Faire, and infinitely better than some fake fur bikini or a costume from last year's Halloween clearance.

Old 09-11-2019, 02:50 AM
Resident dyheli wrangler...

I'm only just getting back into the SCA after years away, and I'm glad that the group I'm in isn't fanatical about things having to be made almost entirely by hand. And I'm also finding that there is less insistence in general about having to be 100% period or having folks essentially tear you down because you machine sewed your garb - being an authenticity weenie is great when it's your own garb, but don't look down on others for not doing something the exact way you would. But even when I was in the SCA a couple of decades ago I wore machine sewn garb and used store-bought trim, not that I would ever have tried to enter that garb into an A&S contest!

Old Today, 01:50 PM
Store Manager

The SCA I knew back when, as long as you made an effort not to look like you were wearing a halloween costume, you were okay - but the competitions were very strict.

Old Today, 02:20 PM
Insert clever title here

Quote:
Quoth Stormraven View Post
The SCA I knew back when, as long as you made an effort not to look like you were wearing a halloween costume, you were okay - but the competitions were very strict.
Yes, that's what I meant, strict for the competitions. AccountingDrone should have won that competition.