Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFAIC, the theft of intellectual property is worse than the theft of money.

Comment

many hugs. and snuggles from a giant moose.
      Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
        193 results.
        This is why so many companies have automated DMCA scanners/takedown generators.

Unfortunately, they often send takedowns for their own stuff that they have posted themselves. Hilarity ensues.

(BigMovies Legal send takedowns for trailers that BigMovies Marketing have put up)

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          Thanks for all the hugs, guys.

In good news, I've got one site down so far. Waiting on the rest of the DMCAs I've sent to take effect, just a waiting game for the next 48 hours, really.
          If someone commissions you for a graphic, and they pay for it, does it belong to them? If it belongs to them, could they legally re-sell it? I don't know the legalities there. Or is this a case where, even though they're commissioning you, the art is considered intellectual property, and therefore belongs to you, and you are selling a license to use the graphic? Again, I don't know the legalities there.

Did they come to an agreement with you or sign some type of contract that stated they would not re-sell the graphic? I don't know the legalities of that.

I'm just wondering, and I'm VERY curious about this. I'm considering doing some development work of my own, and I'll have to look into the legalities of people stealing/reselling my work.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I can't stop and talk in detail about it right now, because I just got back from the vet and now smell like cat pee and desperately need to go scourge-tastic on myself...but for my graphical templates, I do not allow resales. They're two whole different types of ballparks when it comes to copyright laws, because resale rights are so much more expensive. And by resale I take it you mean selling copies.

I have it in my contracts and in my terms of service that no resale rights are included, that it's a onetime installation/use/etc, and only for the client, they can't go willy nilly selling copies of it.
            By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

*hugs*

Its a shame you can't deploy a DRM of some kind.
              I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

/hugs
                I know it sucks to have to sift through all those sites, but better do it or he'll continue to rip you off.

Comment

SERAPH: 34, PIRATE: 0

(34's the list I managed to come up with thus far, hadn't finished, but HAHA DONT NEED TO NOW)

Y'all won't believe what happened. Or maybe you will. Because these things just occur a lot around me. :|

So anyways, I got an email, purporting to be an owner of one of the sites that got DMCA'd, and saying how awful a person I was. Boiled down to, he wanted to keep the design, as "its not my fault its pirate" and "i already paid for it". I simply said that doesn't matter, it's an illegal copy, and then things got interesting.

He asked about buying a copy, and said he wanted to just "sell it a lot to make my money back". I pointed out the license, and that no, I did not allow resale rights...but that I might arrange something like that for the tune of $5,000. (Figured he already managed to rack up $2200 in under a week, this ought to be hilarious). Of course, he freaked, and said he was just going to keep selling it.

Wait, what?

Well, I sent the emails on over to HostGator, and wouldn't you know. Turns out the 'site owner' was the pirate himself.

His database has now been disconnected, his accounts at the hosting companies I contacted are suspended. WHEEE~

I'm still going to keep an eye on the sitelist over the next week to make sure, but...yay. Victory for the meantime, and hopefully permanent!

Comment

Nice pwanage!

Comment

So, wait, he was the guy who was behind it all? /lost/

Comment

Yes, yes he was. He tried to fool me into thinking he was a "poor victim of the DMCA complaint", when it was him all along.

He was basically Barty Crouch Jr.

Comment

Just tell me where to aim it.

Glad for the victory! *hugs Seraph*
                          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                          -----
                          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                            Yes, yes he was. He tried to fool me into thinking he was a "poor victim of the DMCA complaint", when it was him all along.

He was basically Barty Crouch Jr.
                            Oooooooohhh. Now I get it.

How did it come out to be figured through HostGator, though? Just his slip up of "Well I'll sell it anyways?"

Comment

He used the same email to say that stuff to me, as his HostGator account that'd gotten the DMCA.

Comment

OK, I'm really curious.

What kind of sites does this guy have that he had 34 of them?
                                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X