This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another silly question

So my laptop came with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, blah blah blah.

The free trial is expired as I've had the computer a couple of years now. It says "unlicensed product" at the top of the screen when I open it.

It never bothered me, not using Word, until now when I realized I really need to do my resumes in Word.

I can't use Word without activating it. Can I just buy a key card on Amazon and activate it with that?

ETA: This is Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus. Still need to know if I can activate it by buying a key card.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MoonCat; 08-02-2018, 04:37 AM.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

I think so; you may wish to call MS directly and ask. -- but in the meantime, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and the like should be able to handle DOC/DOCX files just fine, and they're free
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      I think so; you may wish to call MS directly and ask. -- but in the meantime, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and the like should be able to handle DOC/DOCX files just fine, and they're free
      Google Docs will allow you to upload and edit them, along with allowing downloads in a number of formats (but not DOCX). I think Zoho Docs will too, though I haven't played with that much yet.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I do use Google docs for writing, but I can't seem to print from that, and if I upload the doc to my laptop, it changes the format because my Word program isn't useable.

Comment

You have different choices.

You could use LibreOffice or Google Docs - it's free and works great.
          But there are circumstances where LibreOffice might not import or export "right", so the recipient might get a little scrambled Word document. This is rare, but it happens. Mostly it's only some kind of bad format... wrong Font size e.t.c. - but it might matter depending on what you are doing. Mostly it is no problem.

If you can send PDF created by LibreOffice everything is fine, PDFs are always OK.

For Microsoft Office there should be a 365 deal, that is normally a one-year subscription to office. Normally you should remove the "old" preinstalled office and reinstall the buyed version. With the subscription-type you should always get the newest version.

Here in Germany you can also get a Office 2016 License - that is a traditional license that don't expire, but you will not get Upgrades if a complete new Version is released. It Costs roughly around the cost of 1,5 years of the subscription type. Security Updates (e.t.c.) are free, of course. If you don't need the bleeding-edge-type it is the cheaper way, you may use it for 5 to 10 years.

@MoonCat
          Download a PDF and Print it directly, it will work fine.
          Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

Seconded on PDF's. More recent versions of Windows even come with a "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer driver pre-installed in the OS, which should be usable by any program that can print documents. Ditto "Microsoft XPS document Writer," which is their (apparently unpopular) answer to PDF.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Google Docs "prints" by creating a PDF that you download and print using a PDF viewer. Just save the PDF.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Oh, duh, I never thought of pdf! Thanks you guys!!

Comment

Working...
                X