This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gah!

This morning, when I got online, my computer worked fine.

Now, most websites just won't load. I've tried Firefox, Opera, and Microsoft Edge. Same problem. I can, sometimes, open Yahoo emails, but I can't do anything else with them. My email inbox is filling up, and I can't do anything.

This is what I've done so far:

- Updated all the drivers
    - Flushed the DNS cache
    - Updated Windows 10

I'm now in the middle of downloading Malwarebytes, in the hope that it might help.

What can I do?

Run RKILL first. After that. MWB is a great place to start; run its ADWCleaner component (may have to be downloaded separately; it's free) as well to help with stubborn issues. SpyBot S&D (also free) is really good for spyware/adware specifically. Run the MWB (etc) in Safe Mode if at all possible; re-run RKILL as your first thing for reboots where you're not using SafeMode.

See if it'll let you do a System Restore (you may lose some files!) to a few days/weeks ago. Someone I know on FB has been having issues with the most recent Win10 update.

On the "If all else fails" front, Win10 lets you reinstall in place, either with drivers and files intact, or while wiping the system (last resort); you will need to create an install disc/USB drive (which will get wiped) for the latter. Safe Mode should help here, too.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It's working now, but what worked, I do not know.

God, I hate Windows 10.

Comment

Good to hear. Might wanna run the scans anyway, just as a precaution. If nothing else, MWB/SpyBot have passive components (Their antivirus TSR and Immunization, respectively) that can help prevent future issues.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I did. I used ADW, CCleaner, Rkill, and Malwarebytes. I also flushed the DNS cache. Again.

Have I mentioned that I hate Windows 10?

Comment

Can't say I blame you. I'd still rather that than Windows 8 or...*shudder* Windows Me. (Make the pain stop! Make it go awaaaaaaay!)

Comment

Makes me feel better about spending 3x as much on a Mac... Of course, that has its own downsides, but ... And it's BSD under the UI so I can mess with it if I need to!
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Can't say I blame you. I'd still rather that than Windows 8 or...*shudder* Windows Me. (Make the pain stop! Make it go awaaaaaaay!)
                I think I had the only computer ever that ran Windows Me without any issues. Granted it was a laptop, but it never gave me any trouble.

Vista and 8 on the other hand....

Comment

ME didn't give me any trouble either, but then again, I'm one to optimize things well ONCE and forget about it.
                  Still, M$ does have this pattern of 'Good OS, bad OS, good OS, bad OS' that showed up real well with XP, vista, 7, 8, and 10.

Comment

Buzzard, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

The system is fucking up again. I've run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, and Rkill. And flushed the DNS cache. And it's fucking up again.

When will Microsoft finally get it right?

Comment

I uninstalled the update from two days ago. Four of the files wouldn't uninstall. I'm still having trouble.

Windows 10 can bite me.

Comment

You may be looking at a clean install from scratch.

If you go this route: A - Backup everything you can think of (especially docs/videos/etc and desktop; and especially your password lists and bookmarks), then doublecheck to make sure you have everything. B - Have an empty flash drive (or cd?) to use to create the installation media.

Comment

I may have to do that. I really don't know.

Here's a snip about the OS:
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Eireann; 09-16-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

The one nice thing with 10 is that your license info is done differently from before -- If you do a reinstall, just follow the directions on that site. As far as I know, the key is linked to your motherboard and/or other hardware's internal ID codes, and THAT is synced with MS's database, so as long as you don't radically alter your system, if should just plain work without you needing to keep track of a license code.

Comment

Okay, HERE'S a twist!

I posted on the Microsoft Community (again), and posted the specs of my computer:

Lenovo ThinkCentre, 4524bl8

The tech person there told me that this computer doesn't support Windows 10!

What????

Comment

Working...
                              X