Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish the drinking age here was 21. It is 18 here, and too often you go out and see drunken teenagers making fools of themselves.
    Yes, I was 18 too at one point *feels old* but I never saw the fun in drinking till you get sick. If you're gonna do it, do it at home, not in a public place where other people are trying to have fun!

Wow, that was a tangent...sorry
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

There's a good deal of debate in the media here in the UK about whether we should up the drinking age from 18 to 21, following the murder of a man who tried to stop some drunken teenage yobs from vandalising property.

These particular yobs were underage to drink, so they would still be underage whether the drinking age was 18 or 21.

But the thinking behind it is that if you drink when you are a couple of years underage, you won't start getting drunk and stupid until you are 18 or 19 instead of 15. The intent, I think, is that the change in drinking age will take a long time to have an effect but will gradually change the way society views teenagers drinking.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

ha, I started drinking at 15 and never behaved like that. It's not about your legal age, but about you, as a person. Alcohol just gives you the excuse, you're the one who commits the act.
        Blame poor parenting rather than booze.
        I have got truly, utterly drunk ONCE (and a stumbly drunk a few times) and it was on my 21st birthday. I will NEVER do it again.
        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
          I wish the drinking age here was 21. It is 18 here, and too often you go out and see drunken teenagers making fools of themselves.
          Um, darlin'? The drinking age here is 21, and over here you still see drunken teenagers making fools of themselves. Very, very often. The drinking age has no effect on that!

Quoth cinema guy View Post
          There's a good deal of debate in the media here in the UK about whether we should up the drinking age from 18 to 21...

But the thinking behind it is that if you drink when you are a couple of years underage, you won't start getting drunk and stupid until you are 18 or 19 instead of 15.
          Stupid logic. That logic assumes that teenagers start drinking because they are almost of age. The fact is that teenagers start drinking because teenagers, as a whole, are a bunch of fucking idiots.

I know this, as when I was a teenager, my friends and I were all a bunch of fucking idiots ourselves. That is what being a teenagers is all about. Being stupid.

Changing the drinking age didn't change that here, and it won't change it there. Just my 3.4 cents.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Um, darlin'? The drinking age here is 21, and over here you still see drunken teenagers making fools of themselves. Very, very often. The drinking age has no effect on that!

Dammit Jester, stop being right!
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
            X