This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customers and perishable food

Today at the supermarket bakery where i work I caught a older man reaching into the roll/bagel bin where we keep our loose rolls and bagels bare handed. If he had just touched one item and took it I would have given him a gentle reminder to use the tongs or tissues. But if that was the case I wouldn't post this. He reached in picked up one roll, felt it and squished it (to see how fresh it was) put it back did the same to three or four more before I stopped him.

Me: Duh..
    DAOM: Dumb ass old man
    ME: Sir, we can not allow bare hand contact with these items.
    DAOM: I jut want to make sure they are fresh.
    Me:They are baked fresh thought he day. We cycle bake and fill it with fresh product in the morning bad before 3PM.
    DAOM:Last time they were rock had.
    Me: Did you contact the Customer Service Desk or Dept. Lead for a Refund?
    DAOM: NO! I have to get it this way because I NEED TO KNOW THEY ARE FRESH!
    Me: Sir, State and Fed. Law prohibits this . That is why we have to wear gloves when handling ready to eat items.
    DAOM: **mumbling to hims self about customer service**
    As i am counting the number of items I not have to throw away he sees me about to toss them and says
    DAOM: since you are throwing them away can I have them for free?
    Me: NO!
    DAOM: I guess I will have to talk to you Manager.
    Me: He will know about this because I have to report food safety violations to him.
    DAOM, walks off in a huff.

A few minutes later another customer approaches me and tells me he saw the guy doing the same thing to the muffins in our muffin and doughnut case before I caught him. The customer told me what the guy touched, and sure enough some doughnuts and muffins had holes poked in them. Another call to GM and he comes down with LP guy who reviewed footage. We tossed about $35 (USD) of food (retail price, not actual item cost). while the GM and myself are inventorying the loss he get a call from the service desk. DAOM ha s complained. Manger has complained and guy does not admit to touching product says I was lying. He say I was rude and made it up. My GM told the the guy he had tapes of him and he will be watched if he comes in again. Guy left in a huff said he would call corp. GM forward the footage to the DM, Store Operations and district LP guy. Lets see how far that complaint gets.

Anyone have any other similar stories?

That is so gross. Who are these people? Urgh...

Comment

The grocery store I go to has free doughnut holes you can help yourself to. One day when I was shopping I just reached in and grabbed one. I didn't see the tongs hanging behind the bin.

oops. Hope that doesn't make me too sucky.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

No

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        The grocery store I go to has free doughnut holes you can help yourself to. One day when I was shopping I just reached in and grabbed one. I didn't see the tongs hanging behind the bin.

Touching food is not the real problem, leaving food in the bin that you have touched is. If you removed it without touching anything else that the rest of us are fine.

I now handle food for a living and I always am finding myself touching my eyes or nose and having to go wash my hands or change the gloves after I do such. Until I took this job I was unaware how often a day I did these things, if I was sick and did not follow safety procedures there is no way to tell how many people would come in contact with my germs. I would guess hundreds per day in fact.

Comment

If I see someone who is not using tongs or tissues but is being careful to only touch the item they want, i ignore it. But this guy was rummaging through the bins. Also many will take their rolls or bagels and leave the doors open. Well this is summer and the file will get in if that happens. If we don't catch it quick enough we will get dozens of flies in their and end up throwing a lot of food away. Our pastry/muffin/dougnhut case has doors(clear glass, cleaned each morning) with closer on it and we have fans in their to keep the air moving out to make it harder for flys to get in, but it doesn't help when they stand there with the door open just looking.

They often see no problem using the freezers to cool down on a hot day. They open the door and lean against the shelving for a few minutes. They always use the ice cream freezers for some reason. If enough do this the temp gets high enough to trigger the alarm. The manager cones down to see why the freezer is warm and sees a customer with his ass in the freezer. He, never a she that i have seen, is asked to move on and not do that again.

Comment

This makes me think twice about getting the fresh bakery items at my grocer.

The pre-packaged stuff isn't as good, though.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

If what I underlined is true, nice catch

Rapscallion

Comment

Disgusting. I hope old stickyfingers gets banned.

What are you willing to bet if the OP or any other customer handled the food as he did, he'd start screaming health violations just as loudly?
                Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                  If what I underlined is true, nice catch

Rapscallion
                  Actually, Stateside a 'doughnut hole' is a small ball of doughnut dough, about the right size to have been punched out of a doughnut to make said hole (hence the name), and usually glazed or chocolate covered.
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Interesting, and more boring than I'd hoped *sigh* I really was hoping to be able to go in for a bag full of holes.

Rapscallion

Comment

Interesting, and more boring than I'd hoped *sigh* I really was hoping to be able to go in for a bag full of holes.

Rapscallion
                      Becky, you're needed for Comforting Pats, STAT!

And that would be a regular Doughnut. It's a hole surrounded by a chewy dough crust.
                      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

This leaves a lot to be desired about food like this. It reminds me of the story my dad told about the woman with long, nasty, dirty fingernails, and was poking them through the cellophane of some steaks. My dad spoke up and told her how nasty that was, and her reply was, "I'm making sure the meat is tender enough before I buy it!" Yuck! How about the poor person that buys that meat who also now has it seasoned with her fingernail goop?

Comment

Rapscallion
                          Still working on that bag of holding. *Tosses test ones at SCs feet*

Comment

I really was hoping to be able to go in for a bag full of holes.
                            I think I've got a hole-y bag around here SOMEWHERE.

Quoth JustADude View Post
                            Becky, you're needed for Comforting Pats, STAT!
                            I can do that.

:comforting pats: There, there™®
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                            X