This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not a dog, it's a YORKIE.

I am sad to say that we have in our hotel tonight one of those couples of pathetic old people who have nothing in their lives, thus necessitating their purchase of an animal that they dress up in little outfits and dote on as though it was a small, deformed, and unusually hairy child.

When the old man checked in, he gave every impression of being normal and we didn't notice anything amiss until the boss, outside watering flowers, noticed him walking his animal (NOT a dog -- explanation to follow). She called his room and informed him that while we allow pets, we charge $10 per night for them. If you sneak one in and we catch you, then we drop a fine of $50 on you. His choice: $10 or $50. Wisely, he chose to pay $10.

Later, he came down to pay for the night. He was already in a bad mood for the pet charge though and mentioned that he would not be staying with us tomorrow night. Instead, he would be staying next door at a hotel that has a pool and is pet-friendly. It has amenities, he said, obviously expecting it to sting.

"I know. We own them," I said, without looking up.

Not long after that, he came down with his remote control and complained that it wasn't working. This was nothing unusual. It's a pain in the ass, but it is a daily occurrence. I reprogrammed it and he went away.

He returned. His key wasn't working. Typically, when a key isn't working it's because it's been demagnetized. I reprogrammed it. He went away.

He returned. His key still wasn't working. This time, the boss had come out of the office and they talked. On the phone before, when she called to ask him about his animal (NOT a dog), he had said, "It's not a dog, it's a Yorkie. What's the big deal?" Now he went into a lecture about how Yorkies are very special. They never shed, excuse me -- lose their hair. Ever. They don't even have fur in fact, but rather hair. They don't have dander. At all. The Yorkie (NOT a dog) was groomed and bathed once a week, and my boss should be so lucky as to receive that kind of spa treatment. This, after we told him that we charge extra for pets because we try to clean the rooms more thoroughly if there have been pets in them due to other people's allergies.

After this, we ascertained that his key wasn't working because his wife had the deadbolt thrown in the room. If he wanted in, he was going to have to make her open the door.

And after this, we got a lecture about how he was a world traveler and had never, ever had this kind of problem with his key or his remote control at any hotel he had ever stayed at in London, Paris, Amsterdam, or Rome. This did not impress my boss, as she speaks five languages and owns property on two continents, and has herself this year spent time in Mumbai, New Delhi, Paris, London, and Cairo, among others.

Yes, it's true. We are the only hotel on the face of the earth whose remotes misbehave and we are the only hotel on earth where wives can lock their husbands out of the rooms with deadbolts. We're terribly low class, obviously and we should voluntarily close the place down if we have any sense of human decency about us. The irony here is that the old man's problem with his key was caused by his wife and she alone. The key worked fine. The further irony is that his dog (YES, a dog), is not a child and is not special. It's a pet, and we charge for pets, as does the hotel he plans to stay at tomorrow. And we know their policies of course, because we own them.

Bonus irony: In referring to the hotel next door, the old man called it by the wrong name three times, and twice said that he had come to our hotel by mistake because it was new and he had confused it for the hotel next door. What's wrong with this picture is that this hotel is 14 years old and is older than the hotel next door. Perhaps it was just the jetlag talking though.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

we are the only hotel on earth where wives can lock their husbands out of the rooms with deadbolts.
    ...and of course this is YOUR fault, too!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Right, Yorkies never shed because they have hair. While I have hair and I find a wig in my comb every time I use it. And I would have dander if not for shampoo.

I think a breeder made some rather large lies, and these two bought it.

And now haveing just seen a picture of a Yorgie, I think that might be right. It is not a dog. It looks like a rat in a bad wig.
      "Wait... he's alive, but his head's gone..." -Crow

Comment

My parents had a Yorkie for a long time. I'm pretty sure HE was a dog.
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
          a small, deformed, and unusually hairy child.
          That pretty much describes my JRT. At least that's what he thinks he is.

When I say in a hotel with the hopping hellhound, I make sure that they will take the dog, pay the fee, and leave a nice tip as I know that:

A) He sheds at times like it's going out of style; and
          B) He's a total suck, so he will insist on sleeping beside me on the bed.

That git with the Yorkie - well, he just sucked.

B
          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

On the phone before, when she called to ask him about his animal (NOT a dog), he had said, "It's not a dog, it's a Yorkie. What's the big deal?"
            I think the AKC might beg to differ with him!

Did you or your boss ask, "If it's not a dog, then what the hell is it?" I would have loved to hear the answer.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              Did you or your boss ask, "If it's not a dog, then what the hell is it?" I would have loved to hear the answer.
              Unfortunately no, but we did have a blast for the rest of the evening with exchanges like this:

Me: Did you order a new milk pitcher? The one we have looks like shit.

She: Of course I ordered the milk pitcher! God, leave me alone about it!

Me: Well, we wouldn't have to do this if we were a hotel in Amsterdam. Their milk pitchers never age!

She: I know. They have the very best milk pitchers in the world at hotels in Amsterdam. And the best keys, and the best remotes, too!

And so on all night long until she went home.
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I noticed

I noticed he forgot to mention what he paid to stay in those hotels, and how small the rooms usually are.

I have had friends and family who have traveled in Europe and the tales they have told about the rates, rooms sizes and lack of basic features found in North American hotels makes it sound like anything in North America with a rating of two stars or more is equal to an European hotel with a rating of two more stars. IE 2 stars American = 4 stars European.

Ofcourse one major problem in Europe is any of the really old hotels are historic in nature and there are limits on what changes to improve them that can be legally made. As for newer hotels, land is a lot more expensive there so you either end up with small rooms or high room rates.

Comment

So, if the Yorkie isn't a dog...
                  Couldn't you have charged him extra, like a child rate or something?
                  Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                    I have had friends and family who have traveled in Europe and the tales they have told about the rates, rooms sizes and lack of basic features found in North American hotels makes it sound like anything in North America with a rating of two stars or more is equal to an European hotel with a rating of two more stars. IE 2 stars American = 4 stars European.
                    Sorry to hijack a little, but even a good 1-Star Hotel (or rather, Motel) has those basic features you're thinking of as well, assuming you're talking about TV, A/C, etc.

It's a popular misconception that the 'Star' system rates the quality of the hotel overall, as far as maintenance, etc, goes. This is not true. The 'Star' rating simply lists the level of amenities available at the facility. A 1-Star doesn't mean they're shoddy, it means that they're very basic "Sleep and shower" places, usually meant for brief stays, like Motel 6 and Econolodge.
                    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

After this, we ascertained that his key wasn't working because his wife had the deadbolt thrown in the room. If he wanted in, he was going to have to make her open the door.
                      If you were married to him, wouldn't you do the same? I think there's more than one deadbolt mentioned here...
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                        When I say in a hotel with the hopping hellhound, I make sure that they will take the dog, pay the fee, and leave a nice tip as I know that:

A) He sheds at times like it's going out of style; and
                        B) He's a total suck, so he will insist on sleeping beside me on the bed.
                        We travel with out dogs often, too (4 "large" breeds (1 collie, 2 malinois, 1 GSD). 3 are service dogs (well, one is in training) so they shouldn't charge us the 'extras' for them but one is a pet, so we don't mind paying the pet fee for them (some hotels charger per pet, per night, we make sure never to stay with them again!). Some just have a flat rate ($25 for the stay) or something like $10 per night.

Our dogs are very well behaved but at shows and events, the cleaning staffs always cringe, I know that a lot of people, even show people, have dogs who do not behave. If our dogs have an accident in the room (only happened once), not only do we try our best to clean it up, we also let them know and we leave a GOOD tip for the cleaning staff, but we've never had a dog bark or rip something to shreds like some have.

I've seen people fight at how their dog pooped all over the place and they demand to be put into a different room (heh, good luck, let me let you in on a little secret, it's called TYLAN). Good luck, usually when theres a big show in town, all the rooms are booked.
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I've stayed in both ends of the "star" spectrum in American and European hotels. Sometimes, a difference in a star rating could be something as simple as whether or not you get a free paper in the morning.

Truth is, at the end of a long trip, I'm generally too exhausted to even care. If it has a bed and relative privacy/safety while I'm unconscious, then it's fine by me.

Oh, and I've known quite a few enigmatic personas in my life who treated their little dogs like children and became quite offended if you referred to their precious as a "dog". My recomendation would be to charge those types of people as if they had brought a child with them (which is generally more in most hotels). Let their innate cheapness compete with their ego.....should make for a fun show.

Comment

Quoth tendomentis View Post
                            I've stayed in both ends of the "star" spectrum in American and European hotels. Sometimes, a difference in a star rating could be something as simple as whether or not you get a free paper in the morning.
                            After sleeping in hostels in most almost every trip to Europe (except the times when I've stayed with my sister), I'm ecstatic if there's a bed, a shower with hot water that will stay on, and less than 10 people in the room.

Comment

I am not much of a dog guy in general, but I tend to prefer the quieter, mellower breeds. Oftentimes, that means I prefer the larger varieties. Small dogs don't actually bother me, mind you...I just can't stand yippers.

And frankly, Yorkies are among the worst for this. My friend has three Yorkies. They. Don't. Shut. Up.

Not a dog? Maybe not. I wouldn't insult most dogs by comparing Yorkies to them. Miserable little hairy rats, they are.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X