Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Yorkies, I shall quote Denis Leary about his dog: "I bet I could throw this tihng 100 yards. Post Pattern, go long." As for the couple when he said "It's not a dog." I would've replied "Right, it's a miserable animal that you're trying to use to fulfill some paternal needs." and walked away. I don't know how animals put up with getting put into clothes. My dog would never put the little jacket my mom got him for the snow. He hated that thing with a passion and would attack it, until it was off.
    It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
    ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
      After this, we ascertained that his key wasn't working because his wife had the deadbolt thrown in the room.
      I can't say that I blame her.

Quoth Mr. Crow View Post
      While I have hair and I find a wig in my comb every time I use it. And I would have dander if not for shampoo.
      Same here.

If I didn't clean out my brush and comb every day, I think I could make a few wigs a year.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

We refer to them as "drop-kick dogs."

Hopefully, the Yorkie-not-a-dog meant that these people have never had children, thus ending one little branch of the earth-warping SC world tree.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

As the very proud owner of a drop kick dog . . . . . I pay the fee if one is required and will leave a tip for house keeping even if it is a sleep and shower only kinda of facility.
          If you can see my avitar it will help understand a bit why my situation is different from that of said Yorki . . . (It is my Grand-dog-ter in a crate - yes, you may groan at that)
          My dog is a Chinese Crested Hairless . . . she does have hair on her head, paws, and tail. She sheads like a human . . .so the comb or brush is not an instant wig when done. And I also bathe her about once a week. The dander that she does have does not seem to be one that affects those with dog allergies.
          When in a hotel, even though she is fixed, she wears "panties" in the room . . .keeps the urge at bay in case another dog had marked the room before.
          Now I have to address the comments about dressing ones dog . . .I don't really have a choice as she doesn't have fur or hair to keep her warm in the cold. She does have skin like us - so sunscreen in the summer and occassionaly a cooling coat - think life vest with those beads that swell in water to keep her body temp down. In the winter I have sweaters for her. She knows where I keep them and has brought one to me before because she was cold. (As someone once told me - if you wouldn't go outside naked, don't make your naked dog go out without a sweater)

Comment

It's a yorkie.

So, if I bite into it, I'll get the cool, refreshing feeling of skiing down the Alps in the middle of winter? And then hop up on the coffee table to do a little Shushing?
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Firstly, I'd like to say the man in the original post was a SC. Of course a Yorkie is a dog. So yes he should pay the fee. But he was right about Yorkies having hair not fur, and them not shedding. I don't think that is a reason not to pay the fee though. He was just being a grumpy old man.

That said I'm disapointed by all the disparaging remarks about yorkies. There are a lot of different breeds of dogs in the world, and different types suit different people. I have a half Yorkie, half Chihuahua and I adore her. It really annoys me when people say "Thats not a dog". Yes she is a dog, she is just a small one.

Emrld is also right when she says that some dogs need to wear coats. And Yorkies are among those dogs. Yorkies have no undercoat to keep them warm, and they can get quite cold in winter. My dog also brings me her coats if she gets cold.

Sorry if this sounds a bit ranty, but I get so tired of people being critical of small dogs. They have a lot of really good qualities. Personally I don't really like large slobbery dogs.

Comment

I hate, no, LOATHE little dogs. I really do. I've had so many bad experiences with them ranging from one knocking me off my skateboard to one that doesn't shut up. I prefer big dogs, such as my greyhound who rarely barks or just sleeps around our house and gets up about 10 times a day. *

My mom's friend has two Yorkie's; they bark a lot but one of them damn near outsmarted me.

Now you ask how I can be outsmarted by a dog that I could kick to the other side of a house? Well he escaped when I was taking care of him. I chased him and before he got to the street he stopped right in front of me. I have big feet and I was very close to stepping on the bastard.

That said I prefer big dogs for these reasons: They are well behaved usually, they are easier to see, and they rarely bark.

As for the OP, dressing up your dog like a human is generally a bad idea. Here's what they would be saying.

*: I don't mind people who own little dogs but they (Yippers) annoy me to no end.
                Last edited by ArenaBoy; 08-17-2007, 09:32 PM.
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I wonder why she locked him out.
                  It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                  -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                    It's a yorkie.

So, if I bite into it, I'll get the cool, refreshing feeling of skiing down the Alps in the middle of winter? And then hop up on the coffee table to do a little Shushing?
                    I don't know, but frankly, that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in the name of science. I warned the people at our other hotel that this boob and his wife and Yorkie might be coming their way today, but I haven't heard whether they actually went up there or not.
                    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post

I remember those commercials!! Do they still show them?
                      Unseen but seeing
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Anastriel View Post
                        Emrld is also right when she says that some dogs need to wear coats. And Yorkies are among those dogs. Yorkies have no undercoat to keep them warm, and they can get quite cold in winter. My dog also brings me her coats if she gets cold.

My opinion on small vs large dogs? Get the breed that will be happy in your environment, and which suits you. And regardless of size, take it - and you! - to obedience classes, so you know how to raise a dog and not a spoiled (dangerous) brat.
                        Regular readers will know I've helped at a shelter - one of the shelter staff confided in me that she's been bitten far more often by small dogs than large. The small dogs get fear-aggressive in a shelter situation, especially if they've always been pampered indoor pets.

As for doggie clothes: we also have coats for our dog. One waterproof one we bought from the local SPCA when we got her, and a couple of smaller, lighter ones. She's a mixed-breed terrier, and like the yorkies, has no undercoat. Her belly is actually completely naked. If I'm going to keep a dog whose fur is intended for a warmer climate, of course I'm going to dress her!

But I suspect the people who are griping about dressing dogs aren't griping about a simple, sensible jacket or coat.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                          It's a yorkie.

See, this is how I know that my higher brain functions have shut down for the day (It's Friday and I'm off for the next 3 days, YAY!) and that I need to go have a Belhaven Ale.

I couldn't figure out what you meant. I was thinking - Yorkie, short Yorkshire. What the hell does that have to do with skiing down the Alps? Until I saw this....

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

Thank you Becks, for ending my befuddlement!

And the nasty little Jack Russell that lives in the apartment behind me is yapping its fool head off. Normally, those are cool dogs, but this one....
                          Plus, I think it has separation anxiety and needs Prozac.
                          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                            Not to my knowledge, but I watch so little TV any more...
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              My opinion on small vs large dogs? Get the breed that will be happy in your environment, and which suits you. And regardless of size, take it - and you! - to obedience classes, so you know how to raise a dog and not a spoiled (dangerous) brat.
                              Regular readers will know I've helped at a shelter - one of the shelter staff confided in me that she's been bitten far more often by small dogs than large. The small dogs get fear-aggressive in a shelter situation, especially if they've always been pampered indoor pets.

As for doggie clothes: we also have coats for our dog. One waterproof one we bought from the local SPCA when we got her, and a couple of smaller, lighter ones. She's a mixed-breed terrier, and like the yorkies, has no undercoat. Her belly is actually completely naked. If I'm going to keep a dog whose fur is intended for a warmer climate, of course I'm going to dress her!
                              I think so much is in the attitude of the dog owner. We got a small dog because we live in a two bedroom house with a small courtyard. Not a tiny place, but definately no space for even a medium size dog.
                              Plus my partner was a little concerned about owning a dog. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was scared of dogs, but he had never owned one before, and felt a little nervous around them. But our little girl was so sweet and tiny, he wasn't at all scared of her.

We also made sure we learnt a lot about training her too. One thing that a lot of people with little dogs do is carry them around. (And don't get me started on those stupid bags!) That just encourages aggressive behaviour and barking. We also made sure to take her out a lot as a puppy and introduce her to things like pushchairs and shopping trolleys. So now when she meets them she isn't scared of them. She isn't a yappy dog at all.

I just hate the stereotype that all small dogs are agressive yappers. Properly trained a small dog is a great companion. And the stereotype that everyone that puts a coat on their dog is a Paris Hilton wannabe.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                                Not to my knowledge, but I watch so little TV any more...
                                I don't watch a lot of TV, either.

I'm sure that if I had the time and patience, I could find something on YouTube, though.
                                Unseen but seeing
                                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                                X