Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price Match and Return Shipping Fees (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price Match and Return Shipping Fees (long)

I've about had it with SC's and am starting to think that stabbing out my eyeballs with an ice pick would be better than getting up and going to work every morning and have therefore been getting a little mouthy lately.

This fella didn't scream and didn't get TOO rude except for a little irritation in his voice near the end but still...

HIM: Yeah I bought this doormat from you (from a catalog only company) a few weeks ago and now its $20 cheaper at Wal-Fart.

ME: Ok, and how can I help you?

HIM: Well, I was wondering if you'd do a price match?

ME: No Sir, [company name] doesn't do price matching.

HIM: Are you sure?

ME: I'm positive.

HIM: But it's $20 cheaper at Wal-Fart.

ME: I understand that but [company name] is not going to give you a refund based on the price of the item at Wal-Fart. Catalog companies can't compete with retail dealers.

HIM: Are you sure? Why don't you check with someone.

ME: *checks with a supervisor even though i know the answer* I asked a supervisor Sir and like I said, [company name] will not price match with Wal-Fart.

HIM: But it's $20 cheaper. Are you sure that's the answer you want to give me?

ME: It's the only answer I CAN give you. It's not up to me, I'm at an outside order service and I can only relay to you the companies policy and THEY will not refund the $20 difference between their price and the price at Wal-Fart.

HIM: You're SURE that's the answer you want to give?

ME: That is THE answer Sir.

HIM: Suppose I tell you if you don't give me the $20 I'll just send the mat back to you and go buy it at Wal-Fart.

ME: If that's what you want to do then that's what you'll do Sir.

HIM: Are you serious?

Me: Yes.

HIM: Will you at least give me my shipping back?

ME: Sir, you are not going to be refunded shipping because the mat is cheaper at Wal-Fart.

HIM: Are you SUUUUUUURE that's the answer you want to give?!?

ME: Sir, this is pointless. If you'd like to return the mat then by all means do so, otherwise, I've told you several times now that you can not get a $20 refund.

HIM: So you're not going to price match?

ME: No Sir. Again, [company name] doesn't price match.

HIM: Well then I'm going to send it back to you and go buy it at Wal-Fart.

ME: Ok Sir, if there's nothing else I can help you with thank you for calling and have a nice day.

HIM: *sounding terribly crestfallen* Oooooooook.

Sigh.

This woman was a freakin b*tch!

HER: I just talked to some girl who told me I have to pay return shipping on this shirt and I do NOT have to. I want to speak with customer service immediately!

ME: Is the shirt defective or did they send you the incorrect item or size?

HER: No it just didn't fit. I need a size larger.

ME: Then you do have to pay return shipping Ma'am.

HER: I DO NOT! I NEVER pay return shipping. I've never even heard of such a thing! I order from [insert a string of company names] and NONE of them charge return shipping so why do YOU?!?

ME: Well, as a matter of fact, as an outside order service we take orders for several of the companies you just mentioned and they DO charge return shipping just like the other 80 or so companies we take orders for.

HER: JUST GET ME TO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

ME: *tries to get her to CS numerous times but the lines are all busy* Ma'am I'm unable to get through to them. I'd be glad to take a message and have someone contact you.

HER: Can you at least do an exchange order?

ME: Certainly. What's the item number?

HER: *gives item number* So now you're going to charge me MORE shipping to get the new shirt. That's just great!

ME: No Ma'am. There is no shipping charge for exchange orders.

As I'm getting her info we go over this several more times. Her throwing a fit about return shipping, me telling her she'll have to speak to CS about it. Her ranting that it's CRAP she has to pay new shipping on the exchange item, me telling her AGAIN that there will be no shipping charge on the exchange.

HER: So is that all you info you need to rip me off?

ME: I'm sorry? Rip you off?

HER: It's ridiculous that you expect me to pay shipping on an exchange and also expect me to pay return shipping.

ME: *totally exasperated not only at her but EVERY SC just like her* Ma'am I have told you several times now that there will NOT be a shipping charge on this order and to be perfectly honest with you YES, I think you should pay return shipping. When you order from a catalog instead of trying items on in a store you're taking the chance that they won't fit correctly and you KNOW there could be return shipping fees! That's just how it is.

HER: And I have told YOU several times that I. Do. NOT. Pay. Return. Shipping!

You know what really pisses me off? Is that I'm sure she DOESN'T pay return shipping fees because she calls customer service and whines and complains and causes grief until they cave and give her her way just to get her off the phone because that's how SC's like her operate.

Witness the power of the bitcher. Gets you just about anything, if you whine long enough. Seriously, though, I've never ordered from a catalog without considering what sizes of items I'd need. It's just not worth the hassle of exchange or re-order.
    Purveyor of all chickeny goodness, and chicken ninja of the highest grade!
    "With it's indiscriminate slaughter of organic tissue, nothing can survive." - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

You're probably right about her bitching and whining every other time so she doesn't pay return shipping...I hate people like that.

That' s exactly why I never order online unless i know exactly what I'm getting, or can return it to a store, rather than send it back. I'm cheap, and HATE to pay for shipping. In fact, most of the time, I won't order unless its free shipping (which some co's offer if you spend so much ,etc.). I've only asked for shipping back once; had ordered a two piece set, and paid extra for overnight as i was going away. When it came, the two pieces were from different dye lots, so i POLITELY called, told them this, and aslo requested they refund my shipping, since it was a defect. No problems at all....but then again, I was nice....and didn't DEMAND.

Love my current job; as an associate, free shippping to the store! We also have phones in the store customers can place orders on, and they are charged a flat fee for shipping...which is MUCH less than if you picked up the phone at home, or went online. I alway tell customers this, if the item they want is catalog only, and they say "well, i don't know what size i am" I encourage tthem to order in-store, and that way they can get several sizes, pay one price, and return to the store what doesn't fit. What's funny is there are alway some who say "well, what if i have it sent here (the store) instead of home?" - like they are trying to get around the shipping Sorry, we still charge shipping...wheterh its sent here or to your home.

Comment

Quoth saneless View Post
        Are you sure that's the answer you want to give me?
        I wonder what "consumer advocate" show he got that phrase from?
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Yeah, like there's a ton of answers and that was just a random choice.
          I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
            I wonder what "consumer advocate" show he got that phrase from?
            I just "love" those shows.

Seriously, if we could give you an answer that would make you smile and STFU don't you think we would have already?
            I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

I think the thing that gets me most is that both of these jerks had the same issue--they didn't listen, but seemed to think that by saying the same thing over and over again, they'd get a different answer--one they deemed a "good" answer eventually. What they don't realize is they're more likely to tick off the rep and get themselves nothing.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth saneless View Post
                HIM: You're SURE that's the answer you want to give?
                Wow, I think you sold a doormat to Chuck Woolery, or maybe one of the guys from Hollywood Squares.

I'll take Phone Support for the block.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth saneless View Post
                  When you order from a catalog instead of trying items on in a store you're taking the chance that they won't fit correctly...
                  And this is why there are certain things I won't buy online. T-shirts, football jerseys, sure. Even if they are a little off, I tend to wear such things loose, so no big deal.

But when I needed new cycling gloves and couldn't find them here in town, I knew I could not order them online. Sizes vary too much from company to company, and with cycling gloves, I want a very certain fit, and am very particular about my gloves.

I finally did get a great pair of gloves when I was up in Savannah. And I'm glad I didn't go online, because while I normally wear size S for gloves, these were a perfect fit at size M, and the S for this company would not fit on my hands at all.

And that reminds me, I need to check out some stuff online I saw at a bike store in Ft. Myers.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                  X