Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad's in a wheelchair right now, and if he ever acted like that, *I* would smack him!
    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

You were NOT the sucky one.

The attempted "customer" was. And your friend, too.

Aside from what everyone else has said, how exactly would you be able to ring his item(s) up what with the paperwork being run and the register closed, etc.?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Yesterday, a man in a wheelchair came into my store because it was raining and he couldn't get his rain poncho on by himself.
        It was EXTREMELY busy- we had a line half way back through the store.
        The guy was NOT buying anything.

I made my paying customers wait while I helped him because it was the right thing to do.

If he had arrived 5 minutes after close I would not have opened the door for him- because that's the right thing to do.

You did the right thing. Period.
        Whether you look at it as the way Raps said or simply because in most places it's against company policy. You had the register down- you couldn't have checked him through anyway.

I say Good Job. Kudos.
        Sometimes it's hard to do what's right. I might've even told him that I'd be forced to call the authorities if he didn't quit trying to get in and cussing.
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

OOOOO My first reply.

Hello all

Yup I have to agree with Tintaglia (she'd bash me ead in otherwise) abusive customer's deserve no special consideration (above and beyond the call of duty and the bounds of good manners that is) He was abusive, who knows what he would have done if Tintaglia had let him in.

Closing time is closing time! Though it shouldnt apply to pub's..... ach well cannae have everything.

Comment

Quoth tintaglia View Post
            When I told one of my friends about this, he told me I should have let the man in, 'cos he was in a wheelchair.
            Had the man been polite, and been asking for something reasonable, and not been an asshat, and any number of other things, maybe your friend might have had a point.

Forget the point that it was after closing, which it was. There are times when it is appropriate to bend the rules, after all. The fact remains that the guy, when he did not get his way, was a complete fucktrumpet to you, being both verbally abusive to you and physically aggressive to your door. The fact that he is in a wheelchair at that point is completely irrelevant, as he is the only one being sucky at that point.

Your friend needs to be educated on the facts of life, one of them being that people in wheelchairs don't get free passes to be asshats JUST because they're in wheelchairs.

I've dealt with many people with many different disabilities. Some of them are nice and don't ask for any special consideration. Some of t hem are nice and only ask for the barest special consideration. ("Pardon me, could you move that chair so I could get by?") And some of them are asshats and demand the world.

Wheelchair or not, an asshat is an asshat. To paraphrase The Bard, "An Asshat by any other name would still suck as bad...."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Tell the same story to the same friend without saying "he was in a wheelchair" and see what the friend thinks.

And you can tell the jack ass wasn't even thinking about his handicap. Or else he would have screamed "But I'm disabled"

Comment

Wow, thanks folks! I worry too much

Even my area manager agreed he should not have got in

My friend was in a mood for an argument, that night and he would not let this go, which got me all wound up.
                "...and you've got people. Billions of people walking about like happy meals with legs...." Spike

Comment

Working...
                X