This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Trash?

I know I shouldn't be so overly sensitive about this, but it really affected me...

Yesterday at work we were pretty much slammed, it being a sunny Saturday and all. I was going on several straight hours without a break and without the opprotunity to get anything to drink or eat. I don't think I have an actual low blood sugar problem, but there have been several times where I've passed out from going too long without eating/drinking. I was starting to get a little lightheaded and fuzzy, so I tried to fish out some of the little pieces of candy I had in my pocket just for this very scenario. My line of customers was long, and constant, and I really didn't want to stop and start chomping on a piece of candy in front of someone, but I needed to get some kind of something in me.

So I finished one transaction and tried to quickly grab and unwrap a piece of the candy out of my pocket before the next customer was ready to order. Except the wrapper was being difficult and sticking to the candy so I stood there fumbling with it for a moment while the guy stared at me. I didn't think it was really too big of a deal, but apparently the guy, who had a son with him, did. I quickly got their orders and was busy scooping when I heard the guy remark quite clearly to his son "See, this is the kind of trash you get." I knew he was referring to me. I tried to be super-friendly through the rest of the transaction, telling him extra-cheerfully to have a great day as I handed over his change, but he just snorted and barely looked at me as he snatched his change away and and sauntered away, all-superior. I wanted so badly to throw something at the back of his head.

That totally killed my mood, and it took awhile for me to recharge. I'm a piece of trash because....? Because I ate a piece of candy? I DID realize it was pretty tacky, to be standing there popping food into your mouth while someone was waiting to order, but I thought it would have been ever tackier to pass out right into the ice cream. I REALLY wish that when he had made that comment I would have stood up and looked at him and asked him what he meant, instead of just pretending I didn't hear it. What gives people the right?

If you are Diabetic then you have every right to have what you need to keep from going into shock.

Don't let the weasles drag you down into their holes.
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Comment

If you have to eat, you have to eat! And as long as you weren't making a mess, taking forever, or talking with your mouth full, you were fine. In any case, that customer was a judgmental, tactless asshat who stuck his foot in it big time.

You might want to look into finding other work. You know, where your managers aren't Nazis who don't let you go on break!
      "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
        I wanted so badly to throw something at the back of his head.

Here, "throw" a little heat at the back of the jerkwad's head!

Mike
        Meow.........

Comment

Something that hopefully might belay assholery, should you get in that situation again (needing to take a moment for yourself infront of coustomers), would be to say something to the coustomer if it's taking longer than the predicted few seconds. Something like "Begging your pardon, I just need to get some sugar in me and I'll be right with you." or even "Sorry about this, I'll be right with you."

The guy was a dick, but I would have to be in a serene mood for my server standing there not paying attention and not saying anything to not get me at least a little narrow-eyed. I mean, I'd try to get their attention without spewing the vocal sewage, but any word, even "one sec," helps.

Comment

Urgh I really would have said something.

What makes people think they have the right to say things like that?
            No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post

What makes people think they have the right to say things like that?
              They're the all mighty customer.

Comment

Oh yeah? Well they can kiss my almighty butt!
                Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
                  Oh yeah? Well they can kiss my almighty butt!
                  An offer I can't refuse. Your place or mine?

Rapscallion

Comment

Simply put, if it bothers you, fix the situation. The man had no right to say what he said, you SHOULDN'T be bothered by it. If you are, next time, simply excuse yourself with a "pardon me folks, I'm diabetic and my blood sugars low." then you can hold the moral high ground, and idiots like that can just shut up.

Comment

I'm hypoglycemic, which is borderline low blood sugar. Anyway, when I was at work and we got slammed, I had no time to eat and would get light headed, cold sweats, etc. Anyway, it always helped me to grab some OJ or chips or something like that to keep me going.

Anyway, I don't understand why the guy would call you 'trash'. That's just stupid, and he's not setting a very good example for his kid. He'll grow up to be an sc too. It's not like you were smacking gum in his face, which happened to me at the gas station one time, and was just disgusting.

Comment

What a DICK. I don't care if you took five minutes, you don't act like that. You're not being too sensitive, I know I'd be upset if I were you. But you know, even if she said she was diabetic, there'd still be people out there who would say, "I don't give a shit, take my order".
                        Last edited by Despina83; 08-20-2007, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Quoth Crazeyal View Post
                          Simply put, if it bothers you, fix the situation. The man had no right to say what he said, you SHOULDN'T be bothered by it. If you are, next time, simply excuse yourself with a "pardon me folks, I'm diabetic and my blood sugars low." then you can hold the moral high ground, and idiots like that can just shut up.
                          Ah, but I bet if the fact that SB is diabetic had been revealed, they'd have launched into one of the infamous Cripples and Freaks rants that we all know and loathe.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
                            I don't think I have an actual low blood sugar problem, but there have been several times where I've passed out from going too long without eating/drinking.
                            I don't think the poster is indicating that they have diabetes, just the not unusual inability to stand for long periods of time without eating problem.
                            Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

Quoth Special Patrol Group View Post
                              I don't think the poster is indicating that they have diabetes, just the not unusual inability to stand for long periods of time without eating problem.
                              Ah, yes, true. Of course, with the way SC's snowball things, they'd probably make the flying leap from 'needs sugar' to 'diabetic' and then slide down the greased fire-poll of stupidity to 'cripple'.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X